Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 10-02-2014, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In-wall Speakers

Hello everyone,

I'm about to move into a new home and am looking for 5 budget in-wall speakers for the family room. I'm going to have a dedicated theater room where all serious listening will take place so these speakers will only be for every day tv and music. With what I'll be spending in the theater, my wife won't be happy if I go over $1,500 for the family room. The only issue is that it is a very big space.

I only have a few weeks so won't have any chance to demo the speakers. I'll be relying almost completely on the advice of others. It's not the best way to do it but this forum has never steered me wrong before.

OPTION 1. - I heard a pair of B&W CWM652 speakers at best buy and was pleasantly surprised considering their size.

OPTION 2. - Polk 265 LS. I know people don't always have a lot of time for Polk but their eBay direct stores have some very good deals. I've enjoyed the Polk LSI series in the past so thought that for $279 for the 2 fronts may be a good option.

OPTION 3. Something else ?

The speakers will be driven by an integra 40.1 processor and Emotiva UPA 5. I'm not sure how much more life they have in them though.

All suggestions are appreciated. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-05-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone? Buying speakers because of advice is one thing but choosing based on a guess is another gamble all together.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-05-2014, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Andrew,

Just my non-expert 2 cents.... and my expreince is for stereo in wall, not living room theater.

I had time to audition and if i had my choice i would have stayed with the 8" woofers of both brands of the below, but was "held" to a 6-1/2" woofer. I auditioned Monoprice (7607) and Polk Audio (RC65i) in my unfinished basement in drywall with and without batt insulation.

Loaded the playlist with heavy bass songs, and ran same songs, same volume, for each condition.

After listening for a few hours, I chose the Monoprice really because the highs were equal and the lows were equal but the mid-range was much more full in the Monos. I own a pair of Polks that sound great, so I was thinking they woudl win, but ended up with the Monoprices. To me, they sounded better.

I think the B&Ws are so far above this class....again just my experience, and I was also on a strict budget.

MrRob.
post #4 of 16 Old 10-06-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Mr Rob,

I hadn't even considered monoprice so I may need to do a little more reading about them.

Usually it would be an easy decision for me to take B&W over Polk but because of the price the Polk are available at, I'm comparing a Polk speaker that retails at twice the price the B&W does.

After reading a little bit more I'm not even sure that I'll be able to run the B&W speakers from my power amp since the power amp outputs a lot more power than the speaker can handle.

Definitive Technology also has a manufacturer direct store so I may need to read a bit more into their speakers.

I've read Triad make the best in wall speakers but since I can't even find anywhere that sells them, I can't figure out if they make anything in my budget.

Cheers
post #5 of 16 Old 10-06-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am going through the same thing. Options that I am considering are

Emotiva
Monoprice
SpeakerCraft
Axiom
NHT

On the main floor, I am doing a 3 zone writing for family room, study, and kitchen. I am leaning towards just wiring banana plugs for the family room in 5.2.2 (Dolby Atmos) configuration, Emotiva in-wall for study (stereo), and Emotiva in-ceiling for kitchen (stereo). Since the house is still at least 4 months away from delivery, I don't feel like spending a $1,000+ on speakers I have not heard before especially on ones that I am not going to be able to hear in 4+ months. Kitchen and study are less important to me sound-quality wise and the Emotiva architectural speakers are very affordable. From what I have been reading, in-wall/in-ceiling speakers are not difficult to install provided that the speaker wires have already been fished.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-06-2014, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyalawya View Post
I am going through the same thing. Options that I am considering are

Emotiva
Monoprice
SpeakerCraft
Axiom
NHT

On the main floor, I am doing a 3 zone writing for family room, study, and kitchen. I am leaning towards just wiring banana plugs for the family room in 5.2.2 (Dolby Atmos) configuration, Emotiva in-wall for study (stereo), and Emotiva in-ceiling for kitchen (stereo). Since the house is still at least 4 months away from delivery, I don't feel like spending a $1,000+ on speakers I have not heard before especially on ones that I am not going to be able to hear in 4+ months. Kitchen and study are less important to me sound-quality wise and the Emotiva architectural speakers are very affordable. From what I have been reading, in-wall/in-ceiling speakers are not difficult to install provided that the speaker wires have already been fished.
I'm a big Atmos fan. That's some family room you'll have.

I think the speakers will be pretty simple to install. I've installed in-ceiling speakers before.

I also completely agree with what you're saying about waiting for the house to be built. Mine is only 3 weeks off so I need to make my decision a lot sooner.

How did you whittle the list down to the speakers you're currently considering?
post #7 of 16 Old 10-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
I am looking into this for a friend myself, I have never looked into in-wall, but I know for a fact that triad makes some great speakers...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #8 of 16 Old 10-06-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtodd View Post
I'm a big Atmos fan. That's some family room you'll have.

I think the speakers will be pretty simple to install. I've installed in-ceiling speakers before.

I also completely agree with what you're saying about waiting for the house to be built. Mine is only 3 weeks off so I need to make my decision a lot sooner.

How did you whittle the list down to the speakers you're currently considering?

Price, features and reputation. The features are aimable tweeter (in case of SpeakerCraft both woofer and tweeter are aimable), silk dome tweeter (I prefer that since the floor is going to be hardwood), frequency response (I will have free standing sub), max power handling, and sensitivity (the closer to 90 db the better for me since I usually don't buy powerful receivers). Based on my readings, closed back speakers sound better than open back. That's why Axiom is on the list. However, Axiom does not have in-ceiling speakers.

I am absolutely torn right now. I love my Ascend Sierra 1 RT in which I am currently using in my 2.0 living room set up. However, I don't want to put the center channel up on a shelve in my new place.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-07-2014, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

I'm adding UIW RLS III to my list for fronts. Anyone had any experience with these?

Did you demo any of your speakers selections hoyalawya? I think our needs are slightly different but since the master bedroom is on the other side of the adjoining wall I think closed back may be better for me too.

I'm waiting to hear back on a price for a set of triad mini speakers.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-07-2014, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I am enjoying the Axiom M2 and M3 on-wall speakers. I can recommend them.

Non-standard RAIDs can recover deleted files. Anyone who says RAID protection is only for failed drives is lying.
post #11 of 16 Old 10-07-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I'm adding UIW RLS III to my list for fronts. Anyone had any experience with these?

Did you demo any of your speakers selections hoyalawya? I think our needs are slightly different but since the master bedroom is on the other side of the adjoining wall I think closed back may be better for me too.

I'm waiting to hear back on a price for a set of triad mini speakers.
Went to Best Buy last night to demo some B&W in-walls. My opinion is that the in-walls sound OK if there is nothing else to compare them too. As soon, as I started switching between in-walls and bookshelves, the differences were apparent. The in-walls had no depth, the imaging was flat, and struggled with bass heavy tracks. Their best in-walls could not compete with medium price bookshelves. They did not have any closed-back in-walls for A&B demo though. I will just pre-wire the locations for now.

From what I read, boxed in-walls should be really close to on walls. Given the choices between boxed Def Tech and on-wall, I would go with on-wall. Both of them cannot be aimed (toed-in) without compromising the aesthetics. However, on-walls offer the advantage of easy upgrade/replacement.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
Just about any speaker will benefit from being baffle mounted. It removes the backwave that often creates bad reflections, smearing the time alignment. Boxing in the speaker, IN the wall is honestly a fantastic approach, much better than using an IB approach such as B&W apparently incorporates.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #13 of 16 Old 10-07-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

I had towers in my last house and when I removed them to sel,l the room looked so much better. Since I'll have a dedicated home theater, the family room doesn't have to have perfect sound. As long as it still sounds good I'll be happy.

I'm not ruling in-room speakers out all together but if I can get away with making the speakers disappear from view I'll be happy.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-14-2014, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I'm about to move into a new home and am looking for 5 budget in-wall speakers for the family room. I'm going to have a dedicated theater room where all serious listening will take place so these speakers will only be for every day tv and music. With what I'll be spending in the theater, my wife won't be happy if I go over $1,500 for the family room. The only issue is that it is a very big space.

I only have a few weeks so won't have any chance to demo the speakers. I'll be relying almost completely on the advice of others. It's not the best way to do it but this forum has never steered me wrong before.

OPTION 1. - I heard a pair of B&W CWM652 speakers at best buy and was pleasantly surprised considering their size.

OPTION 2. - Polk 265 LS. I know people don't always have a lot of time for Polk but their eBay direct stores have some very good deals. I've enjoyed the Polk LSI series in the past so thought that for $279 for the 2 fronts may be a good option.

OPTION 3. Something else ?

The speakers will be driven by an integra 40.1 processor and Emotiva UPA 5. I'm not sure how much more life they have in them though.

All suggestions are appreciated. Cheers.
When I moved to my new home I opted for Speaker MT-6 Three's for the front channel, Speakercraft AIM 8 fives for the rear channel and a B&W Subwoofer "cube" . I used a bookshelf Energy Center channel speaker for the center. I literally read a short review in HomeTheater Mag (now gone out of business) on the AIM 8 in-ceiling and decided to take a chance on them. At the time I was using a Yamaha RXZ1 which was Yamaha flagship. I now use a Denon AVR 3313ci. Anyway, The speakercraft met all expectations and would give them 4.5 out of 5 stars - I was impressed. Next month I'm moving to another new home and am planning on Speakercraft again but this time I'm going to use AIM Cinema Five for the Fronts, Aim 8 Five for the rear and AIM Wide for the ATMOS channels. I'm going to buy the new Denon X5200W receiver because I really like the Denon product and the 5200 has Dolby ATMOS
post #15 of 16 Old 10-15-2014, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I had towers in my last house and when I removed them to sel,l the room looked so much better. Since I'll have a dedicated home theater, the family room doesn't have to have perfect sound. As long as it still sounds good I'll be happy.

I'm not ruling in-room speakers out all together but if I can get away with making the speakers disappear from view I'll be happy.
I have the exact feeling on surround/HT in family room, I moved to another city (Sioux Falls SD to Omaha NE). First we were going to buy an house then decided to build and live in a apt until house is done. Anyway I must have been 30 houses before we decided to build. After seeing speakers and wires in many of the house it just looked tacky, I then made up my mind I was going to pre-wire for in wall for living area and maybe do a mix of in wall and exposed speakers in basement.

I am going with BIC for HT and monoprice for kitchen, and other rooms
post #16 of 16 Old Today, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Brazil View Post
I have the exact feeling on surround/HT in family room, I moved to another city (Sioux Falls SD to Omaha NE). First we were going to buy an house then decided to build and live in a apt until house is done. Anyway I must have been 30 houses before we decided to build. After seeing speakers and wires in many of the house it just looked tacky, I then made up my mind I was going to pre-wire for in wall for living area and maybe do a mix of in wall and exposed speakers in basement.

I am going with BIC for HT and monoprice for kitchen, and other rooms
I'm finishing my basement and building a home theater from scratch. I think I"m gonna go with BG Radia in-wall speakers.

One thing I can't seem to get an answer on is if I'll need these black box enclosures. There is currently no framing or drywall in this basement and I'm not sure if thats factor as to whether I'll need the enclosures...
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page