Book shelf and center speakers advice, coming from Paradigm - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-08-2014, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Book shelf and center speakers advice, coming from Paradigm

I'm putting in a budget theater system in what used to be a dining room. The room is small, only 11ftx14ft. The screen will be perpendicular to the small side of the room. I'm making built-ins to house the equipment The built-ins surround a large picture window that is roughly 8ft wide. Black out curtains will come down out of the top of the built-ins as well as a screen that covers the entire window. Attached is an image of the work in progress.

I've been set on doing in-wall speakers and making a bench across the bottom of the window to house them, but more recently I think I like the idea of bookshelf speakers with a center channel more due to upgradability in the future. Last time I made a system I went with Paradigm Atoms V3 and their lower end floor standing speakers and I loved the results. I'm actually still enjoying them at my second house.

I went to Paradigm's website and noticed Atoms now cost ~$200 each. I've been out of the scene for a long time, so I don't know if they are still the bargain they once were. I would be perfectly happy if I could be about on par with my previous Atom V3 sound system, but the lower the price the better. Suggestions for both book shelf and a center channel would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1514.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	300714  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I've got Paradigm Signature S8's and a C5 in my HT that sound wonderful. For my living room system I have a 2.1 budget setup that includes two Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000 speakers and a Velodyne HGS-15 sub. While Def Techs can't match the Paradigm's sound quality, the ProMonitor 1000 and ProCenter 2000 speakers do offer excellent sound for the money. Check out BajaWaveRunner's Def Tech offerings on Ebay. His prices are excellent and the speakers that I received from that seller were in "as new" condition.

You may want to consider Hsu Research's new VTF-3 MK4 sub to take care of the low end (< 80 Hz). This model was just redesigned & offers excellent performance for a budget sub.

If you're in the market for a receiver, Denon's AVR-X1100W includes Audyssey MultEQ XT room correction. That can help to optimize the sound in your new HT.

Good luck!
post #3 of 4 Old 10-08-2014, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply. Expanding a bit, the speakers I have that I'd like to be about on par with are Paradigm SE Towers for LR and the Paradigm Atom V3's.

What do you think about the EMP E5Bi for LR, EMP E5Ci for center, and EMP E3b for rear? I'm doing 5.1. How do those compare to the Definitive speakers?

The HSU sub is a bit too pricey for this setup. I was thinking the BIC F12 due to the nice price, although I think I'd rather have a sealed unit.

Thanks again!
post #4 of 4 Old 10-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I haven't heard the other speakers you're considering, so I can't say. Ideally you should grab a couple of good music CDs and visit a few audio shops to demo prospects for yourself. Speakers can sound quite different from one another and what sounds good to one listener may not be the cat's pajamas to someone else.

Generally speaking, ported subs will offer better performance than sealed down to their tuning frequency. If the VTF-3 is too rich for your blood right now, the F12 is probably a good choice.
Reply Speakers