Keep this in mind if you consider filling speaker stand poles with sand - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-15-2014, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Keep this in mind if you consider filling speaker stand poles with sand

Plenty of advice out there to fill speaker stand poles with sand to increase their weight and dampening.
If you have bolts connecting top and bottom plates to the poles, consider what happens when send gets into the thread.
If you ever need to disassemble your stands to move or ship them, like I just did, the sand will make them pretty much impossible to disassemble. I just twisted the bolt off in halves, that's how well the send gripped it in the pole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-15-2014, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Good advice. Also worth mentioning is an experiment where I filled one stand with sand and left another with no sand. I then played a sine wave at the resonant frequency of my stands and listened with a stethoscope. The resonance didn't appear to be attenuated in the sand filled stand.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-15-2014, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha M View Post
Plenty of advice out there to fill speaker stand poles with sand to increase their weight and dampening.
If you have bolts connecting top and bottom plates to the poles, consider what happens when send gets into the thread.
If you ever need to disassemble your stands to move or ship them, like I just did, the sand will make them pretty much impossible to disassemble. I just twisted the bolt off in halves, that's how well the send gripped it in the pole.
Well, then may I suggest using a sealant like blue Loctite on the bolts on assembly (or disassemble before putting in the sand)? It will hold the nut in place but not super-permanently and protect the gap from sand.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-16-2014, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
1) I thought stands were filled with sand to make them heavier so when the speakers were attached the centre of mass was lower making it more difficult for the speaker to move in the opposite direction to the cone. (For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction).

2) When I filled two speaker stands with sand, (from the pet shop, because it was completely dry unlike sand from a builders merchant which contains moisture), I inserted a plastic bag taller than the stand, (much like putting a bin liner in a waste bin.), filled with sand then folded the top in.
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
2) When I filled two speaker stands with sand, (from the pet shop, because it was completely dry unlike sand from a builders merchant which contains moisture), I inserted a plastic bag taller than the stand, (much like putting a bin liner in a waste bin.), filled with sand then folded the top in.
Yes - when I searched for sand-filling forum posts before starting this thread, I found someone's suggesting using plastic bags a few years ago. Not at the time I filled mine though, so hopefully this will increase awareness and serve as a good advice to anyone who may come across it in the future.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page