Floorstanding speakers to replace JBL Studio 530's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-05-2014, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Floorstanding speakers to replace JBL Studio 530's

Currently i have the jbl studio 530 bookshelves and center up front and while these speakera sound amazing, they seem to have some nulls in the upper bass. I had the studio 580 floorstandings and they were great and i dont know why i sold them especially for how cheap i got them. But now the price of those has skyrocketed to $800ea which i dont really want to spend. I dont know what brands to look at now adays but am eye balling the KEF Q series speakers right now as well as some Focals. I listen to music mostly but do movies as well. I am also running a SI15 ht in a 8cuft box for bass...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-05-2014, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Maybe a nice pair of bookshelves augmented with a strong sub?
post #3 of 6 Old 11-05-2014, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I'd take a serious look at their placement. Those speakers are very good, I use them myself including the center, and like you, use them mostly for music. If you don't have the means now, it's worth buying a measurement mic so that you can find out just how bad your room acoustics and/or placement might be.

Sure, it takes a bit under $100 for the mic, but that's cheaper than chasing different speakers when it may be your placement, or your room acoustics.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-05-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by abajetta2 View Post
Currently i have the jbl studio 530 bookshelves and center up front and while these speakera sound amazing, they seem to have some nulls in the upper bass. I had the studio 580 floorstandings and they were great and i dont know why i sold them especially for how cheap i got them. But now the price of those has skyrocketed to $800ea which i dont really want to spend.
The 580 are $579 each here >
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-580.../dp/B0060IG460

And, 3 other places
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #5 of 6 Old 11-05-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by abajetta2 View Post
Currently i have the jbl studio 530 bookshelves and center up front and while these speakera sound amazing, they seem to have some nulls in the upper bass. I had the studio 580 floorstandings and they were great and i dont know why i sold them especially for how cheap i got them. But now the price of those has skyrocketed to $800ea which i dont really want to spend. I dont know what brands to look at now adays but am eye balling the KEF Q series speakers right now as well as some Focals. I listen to music mostly but do movies as well. I am also running a SI15 ht in a 8cuft box for bass...
That's a highly regarded speaker, so no wonder you feel it sounds amazing. You may be sitting in a null area for certain bass frequencies, or the sub and speakers have a phase issue and cancellation problem. Did you do the subwoofer crawl test to find the best location of your sub? Did you listen to the 530s without the sub? Do you have capabilities on that sub to change the phase or set the crossover?
post #6 of 6 Old 11-06-2014, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
That's a highly regarded speaker, so no wonder you feel it sounds amazing. You may be sitting in a null area for certain bass frequencies, or the sub and speakers have a phase issue and cancellation problem. Did you do the subwoofer crawl test to find the best location of your sub? Did you listen to the 530s without the sub? Do you have capabilities on that sub to change the phase or set the crossover?
Yeah the subwoofer is ran off a iNUKE1000 DSP, but ive ran them without the subwoofer and there is no cancellation issues. I also had this setup in another room and had the same problem but when i had the studio 580 towers i did not...

All Day|Denon|Yamaha|Behringer|JBL|Klipsch|Stereo Integrity|Samsung|Every Day
Reply Speakers
Gear in this thread - 530's by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page