AVS Forum banner

A deal and a scam?

481 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  kamouflage 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
I've never had a problem on Craigslist and I've purchased 4 pairs of speakers that way. You can get some excellent deals if you know you're looking for. I'm sure there are some unscrupulous people out there but use some common sense and you should be okay.

If you can demo and inspect the speakers then I don't see a problem. As far an an out of state phone number it is probably a cell phone and the owner moved from Wash St. I see that all the time out here as people keep their old numbers when they move. My friend moved to Dallas from SF earlier this year and she kept her SF cell number. I know several people with out of state cell phones here in the Bay Area which doesn't come as a surprise.

Charlotte is always ranked as one of the Best Cities to live so is it not surprising that many out of state folks have migrated there? Lots of financial and banking companies there.

#4 ·
In the past I've taken an old receiver, scrap of speaker wire, and a mini phono to 2xRCA cable to do a quick functional test on used speakers (using my phone as a source). So far I've bought two complete sets of HT speakers, a sub, a receiver, and a pair of TF1000s all good. The TFs have a bad midrange in one (x-over problem) but identified when looking at them & got a deal. The receiver had a bad network card that I *didn't* catch, had I known that I could have got a newer refurb for the same money after the repair, but it works great now so it's not all bad. All the other deals I got good stuff for great prices, used is the way to go

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
The Monitor Audio speakers are a good deal, but not a smoking great deal. :) Those are an older model of their Bronze line, no?

As for the B&W ad, yes, it's a scam. Obviously, right? The same ad has been in every major city in the country. It even appeared on Audiogon for a short while, until I notified them that it was a scam, and they investigated and removed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.