AVS Forum banner

R/L upgrade for $1400 (pair)

1K views 42 replies 16 participants last post by  darthray 
#1 ·
I have gotten some great info on here in the past for picking out a subwoofer, and I am hoping that y’all can shed some light on my newest question. My wife finally approved buying some new speakers! That being said; there are some restrictions:

Budget: $1400-1500 MAX for the R and L speakers (I intend to piece this system together to end up with a 5.1 or 5.2.

Room Size: Here is the tough part, I am Active Duty Military and do not know what size room I will have in a year and a half or any real way to know future room size. So not sure how to plan for that.

Existing Equipment: 50” LG Plasma, PS3, Pioneer Receiver, SVS PB1000.

Use: Movies/Sports>Video games> music (I really do like listening to music and I think if I had the room set up I would do more real music listing than I do now).

Speaker size: My wife would prefer bookshelf speakers but small and/or nicely finished floor standers would work. I could care less, as long as it sounds good.

My wife is not wild about the idea of Internet Direct companies and having to buy speakers, hope they work, and if not send them back and try again. I think we would both prefer to hear them in a store; I live near Seattle and know there are a few good stores to choose from. Finally, I have heard the DefTech 8020’s, the B&W's, Energy bookshelf speakers and Focal 906’s my top two were the Def.techs and Focal 906 if that helps out. We plan on purchasing around or after Christmas time. I look forward to some suggestions.

See less See more
#42 ·
I'd humbly suggest you listen to the Kef LS-50's. Theres a thread dedicated to these speakers here on AVS. I went and listened to alot of the speakers mentioned here. For me, hearing the LS-50's was like getting punched in the gut. I felt sick, like I've wasted my life listening to music in a way that was not intended. They list for $1,500 but you can often get them for $1,300 or used for less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.