AVS Forum banner

Speaker placement for surround (my living room layout)

312 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  lemonslush 
#1 ·
So I have a new house and I'm setting up the living room. The couch is against the back wall of the viewing area which (I think) relegates the surround sound to be almost 90 degrees to the right and left. However!!!! my room configuration is 7' on one side, 14' on the other. Is this a huge issue? Would I be better off installing them "behind" the couch.

Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Does your receiver have an Audessey type process? Where you can place a microphone at your MLP and have it calibrate it for you? It would take into account the distance of the speakers and optimize the sound for your environment.

#5 ·
Would putting the speakers on the wall behind the couch work, because the couch is next to the wall. The speakers would protrude over the listener.

The right speaker is the one 14ft out?

#6 ·
You'd be much better off (acoustically speaking) if you could spin the whole arrangement around so the TV was on the short wall. Then your main seating wouldn't be up against a wall (bad for audio, very bad for bass).

#8 · (Edited)
Your AV should compensate for the distance each speaker is with a delay and any increase in gain that is needed. Ideally you want surrounds to be about a foot or so above your head at the LP when seated.

They would be fine in your current configuration or mounted to face the TV behind your head left and right of the couch if you didnt like how the first option sounded or looked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.