New Bic America flagship towers? - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #271 of 314 Old 01-30-2016, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My Pioneer Elite is 110 watts per channel and setting the speakers to large with Midnight or Loudness mode on, they push out very good bass.

Time to buy yourself a new receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 314 Old 01-30-2016, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 12
^^^ As I mentioned in my response to him, he has a very good balanced 60w amp. I'm not sure I would ditch that amp just to drive a budget oriented set of towers. I would only consider getting rid of the Marantz amp if the room was so large that he really needed large speakers to fill that cubic space. I would seriously consider selling the PL-980's, and invest in some really nice book shelf sized speakers and a small subwoofer instead.

Like this.

If he can't afford something like Focals, I would look at the Cambridge Aeromax 2 instead. Even cheaper would be a good set of Polk bookshelf speakers with a smaller 8-10" music oriented subwoofer.

Last edited by Condor1970; 01-30-2016 at 12:59 PM.
post #273 of 314 Old 01-30-2016, 01:01 PM

60 watts is balanced? The 980s have a 98dB sensitivity and he's complaining he is dissatisfied with the bass output. He needs a new receiver if his can't run through an external amp.

The 980s produce bass. If anyone wants wall destroying bass they'll need a sub as always.

post #274 of 314 Old 01-30-2016, 01:10 PM

Which receiver/tuner does he have? That really shouldn't matter. He has a very good integrated Amp. It's just not meant to drive huge speakers. And unless he has a giant room to fill with sound, there really shouldn't be any reason for him to get rid of it. If I had that amp in a room that was say 13x15, I would much rather prefer searching for a more applicable speaker setup.

I've found that when I took my PL-76's off my Onkyo 100w/ch receiver, and stuck them on my Denon 75w/ch receiver, there was huge difference in the bass response when running at the same volume. And that is with a speaker that has only 6" woofers.
Now, when I put my Bose 401's with a 4ohm and 100w rating on my Onkyo, it sounded almost identical to when I ran them on my Denon with less power, because the Bose speakers have less resistence, and respond better even at lower power levels.
The PL-980's have 2x 8" woofers, and a smaller 60w amp may have a hard time sending the current response needed to properly drive them, even if it is trying to, especially at lower volume. The 98db sensitivity may be the overall speaker sensitivity, but I would be willing to bet those woofers have sensitivity well below 90db. Maybe even as low as 87db.

Last edited by Condor1970; 01-30-2016 at 01:26 PM.
post #275 of 314 Old 01-30-2016, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condor1970 View Post
...My living room upstairs is a whole different animal, compared to my basement. It is a Great Room, that is roughly 28'x28' with a vaulted ceiling that is 12' high in the center, down to 8' on the sides. So, roughly 7,500cu-ft of room to fill. Yep, it's a big room!!!...
Quote:
...As it is, I really want to just drive a good set of towers, because space to put a sub-woofer is limited.

Are you a hoarder? There should be no problem finding space for a subwoofer in that size room. In fact you will need more than one subwoofer for that size room.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #276 of 314 Old 01-30-2016, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by india286 View Post
i again saying the bass is very poor compare to their size
I am using Marantz pm7005 to drive these speakers and as per specifications the amp scores very well
but I am disappointed the bass coming out of my speakers
if someone has an idea pls let me know

Have you tried pressing the Source Direct button? Also, they may be out of phase. Try reversing the polarity (+ and -) of ONE speaker.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________

Last edited by Augerhandle; 01-30-2016 at 10:45 PM.
post #277 of 314 Old 01-30-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Which receiver/tuner does he have? That really shouldn't matter. He has a very good integrated Amp. It's just not meant to drive huge speakers. And unless he has a giant room to fill with sound, there really shouldn't be any reason for him to get rid of it. If I had that amp in a room that was say 13x15, I would much rather prefer searching for a more applicable speaker setup.

I've found that when I took my PL-76's off my Onkyo 100w/ch receiver, and stuck them on my Denon 75w/ch receiver, there was huge difference in the bass response when running at the same volume. And that is with a speaker that has only 6" woofers.
Now, when I put my Bose 401's with a 4ohm and 100w rating on my Onkyo, it sounded almost identical to when I ran them on my Denon with less power, because the Bose speakers have less resistence, and respond better even at lower power levels.
The PL-980's have 2x 8" woofers, and a smaller 60w amp may have a hard time sending the current response needed to properly drive them, even if it is trying to, especially at lower volume. The 98db sensitivity may be the overall speaker sensitivity, but I would be willing to bet those woofers have sensitivity well below 90db. Maybe even as low as 87db.
You're telling him to get rid of his speakers and get new ones. I'm telling him to get rid of his receiver and get a new one.

I own the 980s and they do put out bass. A lot of bass actually when you set them up to. So it's his receiver holding them back. He can get different speakers and hope his receiver pushes them better. Good luck to him with that. And the 980s are a 98dB sensitivity -- you don't need too much power to run them, but obviously his 60 watts or his settings on his receiver are failing to satisfy. You pulling random numbers out on how low the woofers' sensitivity might be is nonsense.
post #278 of 314 Old 01-31-2016, 08:16 PM

^^^ What sensitivity do you think the woofers are rated for? You think these are super high end woofers or something? What is their rating? You don't know. Find me a set of 8" woofers with a sensitivity above 92db that are affordable, because you know BIC used standard available woofers for this design.

Please enlighten me. What is the 8" the woofer sensitivity of the PL-980?

I'm not pulling numbers out of my rear end. As an engineer, I know that numbers don't lie, but people BS themselves into drinking brand name Kool-Aid everyday.

In fact The Marantz PM7005 is very nice amp, and far more worthy than you think. Unless he has a very large room to fill (like 3,000cu-ft or more), and needs massive bass to do so, then he would most likely be better off finding speakers that fit his room dynamics better than just thinking the PL-980 is the answer for everything. It's not. In fact, most people don't need towers this big. The "overall" sensitivity of the PL-980 is 98db (this averages all drivers), but that includes the mids and the incredibly sensitive tweeter (which is probably around 105-112db like most average quality horns). This drives up overall sensitivity of the whole package to give that 98db rating. But the woofers themselves are rarely much above 90db.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Acoustech speakers. I have a whole set for 7.1 home theater, but speakers need to be applied in the most sensible manner to build the best experience, and one particular model (like the PL-980), no matter how good they seem, is not always the answer for every need or system setup.

That said, if my room size was under 3,000cu-ft, I would sell off the $700 tower speakers for a better set of quality Chorus, Cambridge, or Polk bookshelfs with a small sub, long before I'd discard a $1,000 high quality balanced amplifier.

Last edited by Condor1970; 01-31-2016 at 08:25 PM.
post #279 of 314 Old 01-31-2016, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My money is still on reversed polarity...

post #280 of 314 Old 01-31-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
My money is still on reversed polarity...
You may be very well be right. My assumption is based on what the other forum members have already mentioned, because almost all of them had the same issue when these speakers were powered with 100w or less. Also, I've discovered similar issues with other brand speakers of this size when powered by smaller wattage amps. I won't know for certain until I get a set of them and test them with a couple different receivers and a more powerful amp.

But hey, you may be 100% spot on.
post #281 of 314 Old 02-01-2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
^^^ What sensitivity do you think the woofers are rated for? You think these are super high end woofers or something? What is their rating? You don't know. Find me a set of 8" woofers with a sensitivity above 92db that are affordable, because you know BIC used standard available woofers for this design.

Please enlighten me. What is the 8" the woofer sensitivity of the PL-980?

I'm not pulling numbers out of my rear end. As an engineer, I know that numbers don't lie, but people BS themselves into drinking brand name Kool-Aid everyday.

In fact The Marantz PM7005 is very nice amp, and far more worthy than you think. Unless he has a very large room to fill (like 3,000cu-ft or more), and needs massive bass to do so, then he would most likely be better off finding speakers that fit his room dynamics better than just thinking the PL-980 is the answer for everything. It's not. In fact, most people don't need towers this big. The "overall" sensitivity of the PL-980 is 98db (this averages all drivers), but that includes the mids and the incredibly sensitive tweeter (which is probably around 105-112db like most average quality horns). This drives up overall sensitivity of the whole package to give that 98db rating. But the woofers themselves are rarely much above 90db.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Acoustech speakers. I have a whole set for 7.1 home theater, but speakers need to be applied in the most sensible manner to build the best experience, and one particular model (like the PL-980), no matter how good they seem, is not always the answer for every need or system setup.

That said, if my room size was under 3,000cu-ft, I would sell off the $700 tower speakers for a better set of quality Chorus, Cambridge, or Polk bookshelfs with a small sub, long before I'd discard a $1,000 high quality balanced amplifier.
There you go with the "balanced" again. Obvisuoly it's not capable of delivering bass to the 980s -- that's why he is unsatisfied -- so being "balanced" means nothing.

The 980s can push a lot of bass, even with my 110 watts per channel Pioneer. So either his amp isn't strong enough for the 980s or it has no settings to push more bass. So your recommendation is to ditch the speakers and try to find some that play well with his amp.

But that's the thing, the 980s DO push a lot of bass so it has to be his amp holding them back. I'm not running a pre-amp and can get bass from the 980s that hits very hard. He could get a $500 receiver with more power and bass enhancing settings before ditching his speakers hoping his next pair play nice with his amp.

And you are pulling numbers out of your rear about the sensitivity. Unless you've tested it yourself, saying it "might be" 87dB or "might be" 90dB or something else is exactly that... pulling random numbers from your rear.

He's not happy with the bass his 60 watt amp delivers so his options are to buy a receiver capable of pushing the 980s, or sell the 980s and hope the next speakers he buys don't need more than his amp can push. Because the fault is not with the 980s.

Also, I don't have any brand loyalty, nor do I drink brand name kool-aid.

Last edited by Spewdom; 02-01-2016 at 04:24 AM.
post #282 of 314 Old 02-01-2016, 07:42 AM

Of course the PL_980's can produce a lot of bass. I ordered a set for myself, why would think I don't know that? I also have a 500w Carver amplifier to drive them. He doesn't.

How much money do you expect this poor chap to have to spend?

The problem is you are more concerned with simply trying to get a stereo that has more power, when I am more concerned about sound quality. Saying he needs a bigger amp isn't always the answer if your main concern is sound quality. People who spend the money on this kind of integrated amp with balanced connections tend to have this in mind. There is a lot more to stereo than just how much power you have. This is why I am not sure you totally understand when I mention his amp has balanced connections. Usually a set of balanced connections isn't a big deal unless you have really long cable runs, but in the Marantz, it is known for creating much less noise and distortion than other amps, even with normal short cables runs under 10ft.
I don't understand why you don't get the fact that the Marantz PM7005 has balanced connections and is known for producing much better sound quality than most other amps in this price range. It's also an integrated amp, that may very well suit his needs for his system requirements without having to go out and get a separate pre-amp. If he truly just wants more power, then upgrading to an integrated amp that supplies these features with the same sound quality in a PM8005 model, or other brand that can produce over 100w/ch or more will start to cost him a lot more money than just trying to get a set of speakers that fits his system and room dynamics properly.
The sad thought process of too many people that the answer to everything is simply, more power. Depending on his room design, that really isn't always the case. I also find in most cases people who simply want more bass, would be better served with a superior quality set of speakers with an additional sub-woof, instead of trying to get big tower speakers that still can't do the same thing as a real separate powered sub.
A friend of mine has an Integra receiver 110w/ch, and a set of Focal Chorus 726 towers. Beautiful speakers, and their sound quality is amazing. But, he wanted more deep rolling bass that the Focals couldn't provide, even at 110w/ch. He demo'd many speakers, and finally ended up investing in a very powerful sub. Even he agrees it is a bit overkill, when a much less powerful (and less expensive) sub would do. My point is, his receiver was fine, and the power it produces is more than enough. His speakers are also fine, but his room required different sound production to get what he wanted, no matter what towers he could have purchased.
In this posters case, if his concern is to produce superior quality sound, he'd be hard pressed to find an amp with that quality, without spending a lot more money, than simply trying to get a set of speakers that fit his situation.

Do you understand how speakers are designed? I'm not pulling numbers out of my rear. Find me a set of 8" woofers that have a sensitivity above 92db. And if you can't, then call BIC and ask them what the individual sensitivity of their 8" woofers are. They may not even tell you, but I can assure you, they are not that sensitive.
post #283 of 314 Old 02-01-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
In this posters case, if his concern is to produce superior quality sound, he'd be hard pressed to find an amp with that quality, without spending a lot more money, than simply trying to get a set of speakers that fit his situation.
He isn't talking about sound quality, he's talking about the bass. And if you want to call him poor chap, then there's $300-$500 receivers that will outperform his $1,000 amp and will come with bass enhancing settings.
But this conversation is going in circles. So good luck to whatever he chooses, and hopefully he works it out and becomes satisfied with some low end.
post #284 of 314 Old 02-01-2016, 08:36 AM

I've heard first hand a setup similar to what I linked in my post with the PM7005 ( actually, I think it was a different model a few years ago)and a set of Polk bookshelfs. Added to that was a pair of Polk 10" directional subs fed right and left from the amp, then to the speakers. The sound quality of that setup was far superior to every receiver/amp I've heard under $1,000. Yet that speaker setup was also about $700. That little amp does a lot more for proper low distortion sound quality than you know.

After owning several amps in the past, all I know is that if I had a nice $1,000 amp like that with balanced connections, I would make proper use of it before I sold it in an attempt to find an amp or receiver with enough power to drive those towers. Especially if sound quality and possibly room space were my main concerns.

And you're right, we are arguing in circles. There's no point. He will choose what he wants.

Last edited by Condor1970; 02-01-2016 at 07:20 PM.
post #285 of 314 Old 02-01-2016, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The PM7005 does not have balanced connections.

post #286 of 314 Old 02-01-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
The PM7005 does not have balanced connections.
You're right. It does not have balanced XLR's. I thought it did for some reason. My mistake. Not sure why it would even be needed for this model. It's a home entertainment system. Also, according to the Marantz sales pitch, it does have some pretty fine symmetrical circuitry, and their so-called current feedback (not even sure exactly how that works). From what I understand, all this provides as balanced a sound image as you can get without the concern for excessive interference or distortion. I'll be the first to admit I don't know the ins and outs of the circuitry, but hey, all I know is when you got some pretty well respected audiophiles and even the guy at my local shop praising this amp for analog playback, I believe them. I've heard Marantz integrated amps before like this, and they are so nice, I just wouldn't be tossing this out the door.

Last edited by Condor1970; 02-01-2016 at 07:48 PM.
post #287 of 314 Old 02-04-2016, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
But before investing in Marantz I have inquired a lot about the sensitivity of the speakers and almost all of them saying is that Marantz @ 70 watts per channel is more than enough to drive these speakers
coz speakers 98db sensitivity is very good and even 30-40 watt per channel Amp could drive them well.
I don't understand why this change of opinion now.
but really I have complain with bass
post #288 of 314 Old 02-04-2016, 05:05 AM

Quote:
But before investing in Marantz I have inquired a lot about the sensitivity of the speakers and almost all of them saying is that Marantz @ 70 watts per channel is more than enough to drive these speakers
coz speakers 98db sensitivity is very good and even 30-40 watt per channel Amp could drive them well.
I don't understand why this change of opinion now.
but really I have complain with bass
Well, just to be a bit accurate, your PM7005 is supposedly rated at 60w/ch according to the Marantz website. That's not a whole lot. However, I will give you an update on my current situation as well. I have my old Denon 5.1 receiver hooked up to my new 980's in stereo (not surround), and it is the AVR-884 model rated at 90w/ch. Now in reality, that receiver came out in the early 2000's when they exaggerated a bit on power. So, I'm guessing it is more like ~70w/ch like yours. All I can say is after about 12 hours of run time now (which isn't a lot yet), my speakers have loosened up a bit, but still has trouble with bass like yours.

Also, the depth of the sound stage is just terrible. My old Carver receiver would blow this Denon away in depth and quality of sound, along with a ton of deep rolling bass by miles. The two aren't even in the same category.

Now, I would never put my Denon in the same sound quality category as your Marantz. However, considering both are driving these speakers with roughly the same power rating, and both suffer from a lack of bass, I would say that even though your sound quality will be better than the Denon, the lack of power will hold back the ability to get a sudden demand for current to get coil movement for bass production at lower volume. Especially since they do have a total 8ohm impedence. This may be a slight inhibiting factor when a sudden draw of current is necessary for bass production out of the 8" woofers.

That's why I was saying, it may be a better idea to do one of two things.... get a stronger amp... or sell the PL-980's, and go with a really good set of bookshelf speakers on stands like the Focal Aria 906's, and a couple of 100w subs right/left daisy chained out of your amp to the bookshelfs. That will give you a specific supplied amount of power to the low end bass, and all the 60w would then go to the bookshelfs to maximize sound quality on the high end.

Also, keep in mind, the overall sensitivity of these speakers at 98db, is primarily given such a high rating because of the extremely sensitive tweeters and sealed mid range driver added to the mix. The woofers themselves are not 98db sensitive. No way, no how. In fact most 8" woofers run about 87-92db. That means that when running a lower power amp at an 8ohm impedence, it may get kind of hard to draw the sudden current needed to get those woofers really moving like you want. To get more current to the coils, you just simply need more power.

Last edited by Condor1970; 02-04-2016 at 05:11 AM.
post #289 of 314 Old 02-04-2016, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...I was saying, it may be a better idea to do one of two things.... get a stronger amp... or sell the PL-980's, and go with a really good set of bookshelf speakers on stands like the Focal Aria 906's, and a couple of 100w subs right/left daisy chained out of your amp to the bookshelfs. That will give you a specific supplied amount of power to the low end bass, and all the 60w would then go to the bookshelfs to maximize sound quality on the high end.

Also, keep in mind, the overall sensitivity of these speakers at 98db, is primarily given such a high rating because of the extremely sensitive tweeters and sealed mid range driver added to the mix. The woofers themselves are not 98db sensitive. No way, no how. In fact most 8" woofers run about 87-92db. That means that when running a lower power amp at an 8ohm impedence, it may get kind of hard to draw the sudden current needed to get those woofers really moving like you want. To get more current to the coils, you just simply need more power.
If that were true, increasing the power to get the woofers moving would also increase the power to the tweeters, which would run you out of the room way before the bass was right. That's what a crossover is for. He either has one side out of phase, or a woofer is wired wrong inside.

As far as getting new speakers and adding a subwoofer, it makes more sense to just add a sub to what he has now.

Last edited by Augerhandle; 02-04-2016 at 05:58 AM.
post #290 of 314 Old 02-04-2016, 02:43 PM

india286, have you checked to make sure your speakers are not out of phase? Augerhandle is right, they just might be.

As far as just adding a subwoofer goes to existing speakers. That may work just fine. Not sure if low end frequency overlap would be an issue, but it may. Along with that thought, my logic may seem off, but with the 980's "trying" to produce bass, a lot of his power is leeching off to the 8" woofers, when it could be better used from the mids up. My thought, was that if he had a good set of Polk RTi A1's, Tsi200's, Focal Aria's, etc, the 60w/ch from the PM7005 would get used to its fullest potential. Then, he can let 2 powered 100w Polk 10" subs do the majority of the work on the low end.

Really, the one thing that could solve the whole issue is if BIC Acoustech had designed these 980's with Bi-Amp inputs. If they were, then everything would be easily fixable by the addition of another amp on the low end. That would make these speakers a serious step above the rest in the category under $2,000. I think you'd be hard pressed to find something better.

Last edited by Condor1970; 02-04-2016 at 02:51 PM.
post #291 of 314 Old 02-06-2016, 10:20 PM

for polarity I checked the cable connecting to speakers from the amp
red is on red and black is on black so that issue may not be there
is phase out means something else pls let me know?
otherwise I will have to go to power sub for the purpose
post #292 of 314 Old 02-07-2016, 10:27 AM

india286, you should try what I did for a couple hours yesterday to break in my 980's.

log into Pandora, and run "Bass Trip" radio for a few hours turned up. If you still aren't getting bass, then something is seriously wrong, and the 60w amp just isn't powerful enough. The only answer I would have at that point is your amp is not powerful enough, and you them need to get different speakers, a bigger amp, or add a sub. I personally would consider selling the 980's, then get some high quality bookshelf speakers with a pair of 100-200w subs daisy chained on each side left and right.

Last edited by Condor1970; 02-07-2016 at 10:53 AM.
post #293 of 314 Old 02-07-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
for polarity I checked the cable connecting to speakers from the amp
red is on red and black is on black so that issue may not be there
is phase out means something else pls let me know?
otherwise I will have to go to power sub for the purpose

They could still be wired backwards inside one of the cabinets. It does happen occasionally. Reverse the wires on ONE speaker and listen in the center (equidistant from each speaker). If it loses bass, then polarity was not the problem. If it gains bass, then polarity was the problem.

Out of phase means one speaker is moving OUT when the other is moving IN. They should both move in and out together. Lack of bass is the main symptom of out of phase speakers.

You can also test the individual speaker cones in each cabinet with a 9 volt battery. Hook red to positive, and touch black to negative while watching the cones. When contact is made, you should hear a thump and the cone(s) should move outward together (The passive radiator cones will move the opposite direction). Check the other speaker to see if the same cones move in the same direction.

EDIT:

This video will demonstrate the idea (at around the 45 second mark). He uses a bare speaker, but you can do the same just connecting to the terminals in the back of the cabinet.

Last edited by Augerhandle; 02-07-2016 at 11:13 AM.
post #294 of 314 Old 02-25-2016, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Trying to Decide on Acoustec Set-up

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded my system from a very entry level set-up to the Pioneer Andrew Jones set-up (with the towers). It sounds very good...but its...lacking somehow. It feels small, not enough oomph, not enough "there" there. I'm thinking I didn't upgrade far enough. But, I'm also not looking to spend an arm and a leg. So, I'm wondering about the Acoustech PL-980 towers with a 28ii center channel. Driving this will be a Pioneer VSX-1130 (165w at 6ohms, 95w at 8ohms). I also have two 15-inch Dayton Audio subs - I'm sure they don't sound as good as $800 subs, but they shake the room and I love them.

1. Is it fair to assume that the PL-980s are going to be a significant step up in bigness, fullness, "there"-ness, over the Pioneers? And will sound at least as "good" and ideally "better" (bright, clear, crisp, clean - whatever adjectives you'd like)? Is this going to be an upgrade by an order of magnitude, or incremental? Any other brands/models I should consider in this price range (currently $375 per, $200 center). I know this is a BIC forum, but I won't tell

2. I've seen some posts referring to problems with bass on these towers if the amp/AVR isn't powerful enough. Do we think the VSX-1130 will cut it? I was hoping the 98 sensitivity would help get my receiver up to "just enough" to drive these bad boys. In retrospect I guess I should have bought a more powerful AVR, but really don't want to have to swap that out at this point. [Note: My primary concern is watching Blu Ray movies with lossless audio, so the subs should compensate there. However, I'd like to run 2.0 for music, so a lack of bass would be a shame, and I'm not sure I'd make the purchase if I believed there was going to be a problem with bass).

3. Assuming 1 and 2 are a green light, how do people feel about the PL-66 for surrounds? I am tempted to just use the Pioneer towers for the surrounds since I already have them - surely these towers can outperform the BIC satellites, right? Though if the PL-66 are better/as good/good enough, it will probably be easier to sell the Pioneers as a set of 5.

A few other things. With that much sub firepower, I've been running my crossover at 100hz to give my speakers some headroom (and the subs still shake the house, even turned down below half). In case that has implications for the power question. I'm also about to install some Niles in-ceiling for the Atmos channel (been running Energy Take Classic satellites up there, but they are being upgraded).

Thanks!
Shane
post #295 of 314 Old 02-26-2016, 06:57 AM

everything is good except the depth of the bass we expecting from two 8" woofers on the PL-980. Though in mine case it improved with the time but still my heart doesnot accept this much bass coming from such great looking and big towers. but you already have subs so total system will make it quite good coz mid's and highs are quite brighter in the PL towers. I expect a good combination in this case.
But I am just novice in this segment so others views must be taken into account for total setup. But for bass I am not satisfied. I have listen the Marantz on the same 8 ohm speakers golden ear. just I can say wow and my heart sinking after listening the sound. So I don't think PL-980 speakers could alone take up the full music set up you need Sub with these.
But again the cost effectiveness so I have to believe that the speaker I got are best.
but believe me sound stage it produces very good except bass.
post #296 of 314 Old 02-26-2016, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
everything is good except the depth of the bass we expecting from two 8" woofers on the PL-980. Though in mine case it improved with the time but still my heart doesnot accept this much bass coming from such great looking and big towers. but you already have subs so total system will make it quite good coz mid's and highs are quite brighter in the PL towers. I expect a good combination in this case.
But I am just novice in this segment so others views must be taken into account for total setup. But for bass I am not satisfied. I have listen the Marantz on the same 8 ohm speakers golden ear. just I can say wow and my heart sinking after listening the sound. So I don't think PL-980 speakers could alone take up the full music set up you need Sub with these.
But again the cost effectiveness so I have to believe that the speaker I got are best.
but believe me sound stage it produces very good except bass.
Thanks india286 for the reply. I've heard that from others, that the PL-890 doesn't hit as hard sub-80hz as others in its price range/category. But, I have heard that the bass it does produce sounds good - it lacks in oomph, but not in clarity. So for a movie, I'll be crossing over to my subs anyway. For music, I may not get the most thumping bass, but I'd get a nice clear reproduction and it would sound very good, even if the house isn't shaking. Sounds like you disagree?

Anyone else?

Thanks!
post #297 of 314 Old 02-28-2016, 09:02 AM

no for music listen you have to add sub also.
but I am telling you the bass is not heart throbbing at all produced by PL-980
post #298 of 314 Old 02-28-2016, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 116
A question for those of you who use the FH6, especially if you use it for both fronts and center.

I recently got three of these and they do sound quite good, however, when doing the Audyssey calibration it's setting the crossovers to 110Hz. This was a shock to me since they are rated down to 40Hz and with my old speakers Audyssey would actually set them too low (e.g. it would set my speakers that were rated down to 87Hz at 60Hz).

So for those using FH6s, what does Audyssey set the crossover at?

I know it has a lot to do with speaker placement and room acoustics, but considering my old speakers in the same layout were always set lower than they should have I always figured my room's acoustics were the cause of that, so I would have expected something similar with these.

Last edited by WiscoNYC; 02-29-2016 at 04:33 PM.
post #299 of 314 Old 02-29-2016, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoNYC View Post
So for those using FH6s, what does Audyssey set the crossover at?
I recently purchased an FH6-LCR for a center channel, and then a last week two FH-6Ts for the LRs. Audyssey set the center to crossover at 80Hz and the two towers at 40Hz. I haven't had a chance to test any other configs yet and have a new sub coming this week so I am just letting it ride like that for now.
post #300 of 314 Old 02-29-2016, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPearl View Post
I recently purchased an FH6-LCR for a center channel, and then a last week two FH-6Ts for the LRs. Audyssey set the center to crossover at 80Hz and the two towers at 40Hz. I haven't had a chance to test any other configs yet and have a new sub coming this week so I am just letting it ride like that for now.
Thanks for the response. I would have been more than happy if Audyssey set them at 80Hz. I can't figure out what is causing them to be set at 110Hz (which I have gone and changed to 80Hz).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page