• 1 Post By shadyJ

post #1 of 24 Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Klipsch 7.2 System Price/Opinion/Advice

Hi Guys,
I am in the middle of a build and I am not 100% sure if this system is worth the price

Now I have read that the Subs aren't really the best. My room is 14x28x9 (75% movies, 25% everything else). I figured it might make sense to go sans the subwoofers and spend ~600 for a good one, but I could just be making a mistake. Please advise. Thanks!

Below is what is included in a bundle at acoustic sound design

2 RF-82II Towers
1 RC-62II Center Speaker
2 RS-52II Surround Speakers
2 RB-61II Bookshelf Speakers
2 SW-310 900 Watt Subwoofer
2 WA-2 Wireless kits
1 Onkyo TX-NR838 7.2-Ch Network A/V Receiver

All of that for $3500
Or 1 less subwoofer for $3000
or No subwoofer for $2700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I would just go for the speakers for $2000 or less
2 RF-82II Towers
1 RC-62II Center Speaker

and get a SVS PB2000 and a Denon X4000 or Marantz SR5008 refub
(from Accessories4less)

One of my neighbours recently got the same combination (minus RB's) with Marantz and it sounds great for HT
post #3 of 24 Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay0222 View Post
I would just go for the speakers for $2000 or less
2 RF-82II Towers
1 RC-62II Center Speaker

and get a SVS PB2000 and a Denon X4000 or Marantz SR5008 refub(from Accessories4less)

One of my neighbours recently got the same combination (minus RB's) with Marantz and it sounds great for HT
Yeah I was a bit iffy on the onkyo (just based on past experience) and the sub but it seems the best value is the receiver+sub for $3000. Ill see if they would be willing to switch to another receiver. Any reason why you would change the receiver?
post #4 of 24 Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 640
I like the Klipsch Reference speakers, but the Klipsch subs are mediocre. Skip the Klipsch subwoofers. The new Hsu subs will be vastly better performers, I would for one of those, either the VTF3 mk5 or VTF15h mk2.

With a good sub (or two), you will not need the low end extension of towers, so instead of tower speaker fronts, get bookshelf speakers. I would go for either RB-81s or RB-61s. Also, I would not go for the bipole Klipsch speakers, they will just mess up the surround sound stage. Substitute the RS-52s with another pair of RB-61s. It will sound better and be slightly cheaper. You could also step down to RB-51s for both pairs of surrounds and not miss much.

I agree with Jaykey, look for a deal on the Denon AVR-X4000 at the moment, that is a great AVR and is seeing some terrific discounts at the moment. It can independently calibrate two subwoofers separately and is probably the least expensive AVR able to do so. This is a very nice feature to have.

So a much better system for roughly the same price:

Klipsch RB-81s for front left/right
Klipsch RB-51s for side surround left/right and rear surround left/right.
Klipsch RC-62 center speaker
Hsu VTF3 mk5
Denon AVR-X4000

All of that costs the same, $3500 shipped, and should be much better, thanks mainly to the substitution of the killer subwoofer. Acoustic Sound Design would probably be willing to give you a price break on the Klipsch speakers if you asked. They are willing to bargain, so you could save more money there. If you wanted to go the dual subwoofer route, Hsu is willing to give you discounts on multi sub purchases as well.

A couple more tips: for speaker cable, just use a roll of 14 AWG speaker cable from Home Depot. Do not buy speaker cable at electronics stores like Radio Shack and BestBuy, the markup is insane. For HDMI cable, just get it from monoprice.com, as with speaker cable, the markups are crazy on HDMI cable. If you need bookshelf speaker mounts for the surrounds, the best affordable ones are the Videosecu side-clamping bookshelf speaker mounts.
tilani likes this.
post #5 of 24 Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilani View Post
Yeah I was a bit iffy on the onkyo (just based on past experience) and the sub but it seems the best value is the receiver+sub for $3000. Ill see if they would be willing to switch to another receiver. Any reason why you would change the receiver?
HDMI board issues with Onkyo's make them less preferable (may not be this model); but I prefer to stay away from them.

Also room correction with Denon/Marantz is superior to Onkyo's
tilani likes this.
post #6 of 24 Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I had an Onkyo fail this year thanks to a HDMI daughter board going bad. The AVR lasted four years, but you would expect them to last longer than that. It always ran hot too. I would steer clear of Onkyo.
tilani likes this.
post #7 of 24 Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Guys!

I have a thread running in the theaterbuild forum. Do you think the bookshelf's make sense with what I am trying to do?

3 Row Home Theater - Need Design Input
post #8 of 24 Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
I take it you like the Klipsch speakers? You don't say what you like about this system in any case....

I'd can their subs as was suggested. The Onkyo avr without Audyssey wouldn't be too attractive to me, I'd also prefer one with Audyssey XT32 like the Denon X4000, unless you plan on doing Atmos setup later. Onkyo is addressing their hdmi board problems but a bit late for a lot of people....mine has been fine for three years so far fwiw.
tilani likes this.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #9 of 24 Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
I take it you like the Klipsch speakers? You don't say what you like about this system in any case....

I'd can their subs as was suggested. The Onkyo avr without Audyssey wouldn't be too attractive to me, I'd also prefer one with Audyssey XT32 like the Denon X4000, unless you plan on doing Atmos setup later. Onkyo is addressing their hdmi board problems but a bit late for a lot of people....mine has been fine for three years so far fwiw.

I don't really have a love for them, but it is the full system that seems to go on sale that people actually consider to be a decent price. If there is something else that is better for the same price I would be more than happy to consider it!

I would like to keep it at $3k for everything (1 sub) or $3500 for 2 subs (hoping the 2 sub specials can kick in and help here).
post #10 of 24 Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't really have a love for them, but it is the full system that seems to go on sale that people actually consider to be a decent price. If there is something else that is better for the same price I would be more than happy to consider it!

I would like to keep it at $3k for everything (1 sub) or $3500 for 2 subs (hoping the 2 sub specials can kick in and help here).
I don't like most Klipsch speakers so they're not even on the table for me. Why buy something just because its a "deal" instead of something you love? That your max budget? I noticed you were thinking about $2k originally....

I just now looked at your theater thread and you have a big room, you definitely need at least two subs. I'd think more about theater-type speakers like Seos waveguide speakers from diysoundgroup.com; they have some good sub solutions, too....better use of your money if you have the time/inclination. How important are aesthetics?
tilani likes this.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #11 of 24 Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't like most Klipsch speakers so they're not even on the table for me. Why buy something just because its a "deal" instead of something you love? That your max budget? I noticed you were thinking about $2k originally....

I just now looked at your theater thread and you have a big room, you definitely need at least two subs. I'd think more about theater-type speakers like Seos waveguide speakers from diysoundgroup.com; they have some good sub solutions, too....better use of your money if you have the time/inclination. How important are aesthetics?
$2K was a suggestion by a member for a bookshelf variant of a 7 speaker set up. I am trying to stick as close to $3000 for a 7.2 set up with a receiver but realistically would be willing to pay no more than $3500 for 7 speakers + 2 subs + receiver.

I don't care about aesthics too much because I can work around that and make it pretty (I think). Sounds like you may have some fancy ideas. I have no idea what a Seos waveguide is.
post #12 of 24 Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Guys!

I have a thread running in the theaterbuild forum. Do you think the bookshelf's make sense with what I am trying to do?

3 Row Home Theater - Need Design Input
Interesting room. I would still prefer bookshelf speakers over bipoles, but I will modify the surround suggestions since it looks like seating will be relatively close to the speakers. I would be looking at some JBL 8320 speakers for the surrounds. I do think these would be best in a room like yours for several reasons. A.) they can be mounted high so they would not be too close to any specific listening position. B.) they are easy to mount. C.) They are very high performing, especially for the price. In fact they are the least expensive THX certified speakers that I know of. They are powerful yet at the same time they will not draw a heavy load on your AVR. These are more meant for commercial cinemas, but they would be great in home theater applications as well.

As for the front speakers, tower speakers do not really have any advantage over bookshelf speakers when subwoofers are used. Their bass extension advantage is wasted because that range will be filtered out. Above that point, they don't have any special advantage over bookshelf speakers, all things being equal.

A nice thing about your proposed setup is that it looks like it will allow you to run a bookshelf speaker for the center channel instead. Conventional center speakers, the horizontal type, are a compromise in sound quality for a convenient form factor. They are meant for entertainment centers, but the horizontally aligned woofers creating lobing issues which can make for poor off axis frequency response. This can impact dialogue intelligibility. The ideal front stage would be identical speakers for all three channels and no horizontal center speakers (often called 'toppled MTMs'). I would substitute a RB-81 for the RC-62, it should perform better (and be slightly cheaper).
tilani likes this.

Last edited by shadyJ; Yesterday at 08:39 PM.
post #13 of 24 Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
Interesting room. I would still prefer bookshelf speakers over bipoles, but I will modify the surround suggestions since it looks like seating will be relatively close to the speakers. I would be looking at some JBL 8320 speakers for the surrounds. I do think these would be best in a room like yours for several reasons. A.) they can be mounted high so they would not be too close to any specific listening position. B.) they are easy to mount. C.) They are very high performing, especially for the price. In fact they are the least expensive THX certified speakers that I know of. They are powerful yet at the same time they will not draw a heavy load on your AVR. These are more meant for commercial cinemas, but they would be great in home theater applications as well.

As for the front speakers, tower speakers do not really have any advantage over bookshelf speakers when subwoofers are used. Their bass extension advantage is wasted because that range will be filtered out. Above that point, they don't have any special advantage over bookshelf speakers, all things being equal.

A nice thing about your proposed setup is that it looks like it will allow you to run a bookshelf speaker for the center channel instead. Conventional center speakers, the horizontal type, are a compromise in sound quality for a convenient form factor. They are meant for entertainment centers, but the horizontally aligned woofers creating lobing issues which can make for poor off axis frequency response. This can impact dialogue intelligibility. The ideal front stage would be identical speakers for all three channels and no horizontal center speakers (often called 'toppled MTMs'). I would substitute a RB-81 for the RC-62, it should perform better (and be slightly cheaper).
Thanks for your input shady!

I made some modifications to the set up (last post on the thread). I'll have roughly 29" between the wall and the stage (so 29" for the surrounds). The Rear Surrounds will be roughly 60" from the rear row.

As far as the center speaker goes, are you suggesting to get 3 of the same speaker to take care of F/R/C? I have seen some pictures of set ups like that but I just figured they had no idea what they were doing. Clearly that would be me

Edit : yes that is what you are suggesting. I just re-read your post to make sure I didn't miss anything.
post #14 of 24 Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
$2K was a suggestion by a member for a bookshelf variant of a 7 speaker set up. I am trying to stick as close to $3000 for a 7.2 set up with a receiver but realistically would be willing to pay no more than $3500 for 7 speakers + 2 subs + receiver.

I don't care about aesthics too much because I can work around that and make it pretty (I think). Sounds like you may have some fancy ideas. I have no idea what a Seos waveguide is.
DIY/AIY is fancy? It's just a description of a speaker that gets great praise they offer, Seos waveguides are a particular waveguide for use with compression drivers (the Klipsch speakers you're thinking of also employ waveguides, but different). Look at Sibuna's gear here in post # 474 in this thread The "I'll demo my subwoofer for other enthusiasts" thread.

post #15 of 24 Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your input shady!

I made some modifications to the set up (last post on the thread). I'll have roughly 29" between the wall and the stage (so 29" for the surrounds). The Rear Surrounds will be roughly 60" from the rear row.

As far as the center speaker goes, are you suggesting to get 3 of the same speaker to take care of F/R/C? I have seen some pictures of set ups like that but I just figured they had no idea what they were doing. Clearly that would be me

Edit : yes that is what you are suggesting. I just re-read your post to make sure I didn't miss anything.
Correct, three identical speaker for the front stage. So a revised equipment list I would recommend would be:
3 Klipsch RB-81s
4 JBL 8320 for surrounds
Hsu VTF3 mk5 subwoofer
Denon AVR-X4000

That looks like it would be a bit over $3.5k, but not by a lot. Maybe $3.7k shipped.
post #16 of 24 Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

One more thing, although this comment more properly belongs in your build thread, you were asking about a stage in front of your screen. I wouldn't bother putting a stage in front of the screen for your setup. It doesn't do much and could potentially diminish the image quality and also sound quality.
post #17 of 24 Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
DIY/AIY is fancy? It's just a description of a speaker that gets great praise they offer, Seos waveguides are a particular waveguide for use with compression drivers (the Klipsch speakers you're thinking of also employ waveguides, but different). Look at Sibuna's gear here in post # 474 in this thread The "I'll demo my subwoofer for other enthusiasts" thread.
I am not really a DIY kind of guy. I can build a computer, that is about it. I suppose I can cut some wood but is Sibuna's gear something you recommend for my set up?

Last edited by tilani; Today at 12:36 AM.
post #18 of 24 Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
One more thing, although this comment more properly belongs in your build thread, you were asking about a stage in front of your screen. I wouldn't bother putting a stage in front of the screen for your setup. It doesn't do much and could potentially diminish the image quality and also sound quality.
I appreciate your input and am seriously considering ditching the floor standing speakers. In fact, I think I have all but tossed the idea out. It would look better as I can have all three front speakers behind my screen, giving me 134" diagonal without any sort of issues with the door or anything.

What are your thoughts on what lovinthehd said?
post #19 of 24 Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am not really a DIY kind of guy. I can build a computer, that is about it. I suppose I can cut some wood but is Subuna's gear something you recommend for my set up?
I doubt Sibuna would provide you with it The point is a high level of performance for your $....and building a full set of speakers and subs would not be a small project if you cut all your own wood or mdf. You could just go the aiy route with materials from diysoundgroup.com for less work. If you don't need a finished speaker, even less work. If you're interested head over to the diy subforum....
tilani likes this.

post #20 of 24 Old Today, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
what are your thoughts on what lovinthehd said?
DIY is definitely a much greater value- if you have the time and tools to deal with it. With flat packs, you do not even have to cut any wood, you just glue the parts together with some clamps. There is also the matter of painting them. If you are not in a rush to make your home theater, it's worth looking into. It'll take some research though. However, in the end you could end up with a much more powerful theater system.
tilani likes this.
post #21 of 24 Old Today, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I doubt Sibuna would provide you with it The point is a high level of performance for your $....and building a full set of speakers and subs would not be a small project if you cut all your own wood or mdf. You could just go the aiy route with materials from diysoundgroup.com for less work. If you don't need a finished speaker, even less work. If you're interested head over to the diy subforum....
Quote:
DIY is definitely a much greater value- if you have the time and tools to deal with it. With flat packs, you do not even have to cut any wood, you just glue the parts together with some clamps. There is also the matter of painting them. If you are not in a rush to make your home theater, it's worth looking into. It'll take some research though. However, in the end you could end up with a much more powerful theater system.
Well damn. I don't care if the speakers are finished because they will be behind the screen. I have now youtubed assembly instructions, and it does not look complicated. I just don't quite know what type of speaker I would need. Just as far as cost is concerned, I see the Fusion 10-Pure kit as the only one that would fit with my budget for the fronts if I was to stick with the JBL's for the surrounds. I guess more research is needed. Thanks guys!
post #22 of 24 Old Today, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well damn. I don't care if the speakers are finished because they will be behind the screen. I have now youtubed assembly instructions, and it does not look complicated. I just don't quite know what type of speaker I would need. Just as far as cost is concerned, I see the Fusion 10-Pure kit as the only one that would fit with my budget for the fronts if I was to stick with the JBL's for the surrounds. I guess more research is needed. Thanks guys!
I'd suggest posting a thread in the diy subforum to help you explore options, even for surrounds/subs, there are quite a few very knowledgeable and helpful guys there.

post #23 of 24 Old Today, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'd suggest posting a thread in the diy subforum to help you explore options, even for surrounds/subs, there are quite a few very knowledgeable and helpful guys there.
Done!

Thanks!
post #24 of 24 Old Today, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
The speaker that really appeals to me over at diysoundgroup is The Elusive 1099 for about $450 shipped for the kit and the flatpack. (Also enquire about the availability of assembled crossovers.) The Eminence/Celestion/Denovo combo, 8Ω nom. impedance and genuine 99dB/2.83V/1m sensitivity would be loud, clear and dynamic on AVR power. To stick to your budget, you could postpone the purchase of the pair of JBL 8320 rears... you won't miss much in the interim for the payoff of an awesome front three.

Good luck with your research!
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page