Help - Speaker placement in offset 19x21 room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old Today, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Help - Speaker placement in offset 19x21 room

Hi folks, I need some sound input for a problem I think I might have.

I have a playroom that I'm revamping, and planning for a good HT 5.1 system. Atmos, 7.1, etc is going to be too much for the size of my room, and I'd rather spend money on quality 5.1 components and setup.

The room is 19' wide, 21' long. Behind the front part of the room, I have a 6x6' cube on the left which will be a reading nook, and to the right we have a hallway which is 4' wide and extends towards a bathroom (behind where the TV will be mounted. I also have a 2' wide by 1' high (drops down from 8' ceiling) HVAC duct area that's inset 4' from the right of the room, just to the left of the hallway which is open. My seating area will be placed about 15' from the TV and fairly centered in the room with the TV. I will eventually have front floor speakers, but as I'm in the wiring stages now I don't know if I should put wire in the ceiling for ceiling/wall-mounted front left and front right. However, due to the drop-down HVAC ductwork, and supporting post (green in diagram), I'm not sure if that's a good idea?

Blue squares would be wall-mounted speakers, and the front right would be on HVAC framework, orange would be where I would place floor-standing fronts in future (would need to move the left one out of the way when not in use due to kids using the room), and pink would be if I mounted the right side speakers on the wall in the hallway - but I'm worried about the supporting post (green) blocking sound from right front if.

Rears I want to mount no matter what, so was thinking wall mount at about 6' high angled down towards seating area, and will probably need to place the right speaker in the blue area, as the entry door swings in to the left and would bang into the speaker unless I mount it about 7-8' up, at which point the sound would be blocked by the HVAC ductwork.

For the rear speakers I was thinking ceiling/wall mount using Pinpoint AM-40 brackets or HTD BR-TPRX brackets. Speakers are currently 4-5 year old HTIB Onkyo units, but will eventually be replaced with DIY AviaTrix fronts, center, rears, and Dayton RSS390HO sub.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frontview.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	423729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Backview.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	423737   Click image for larger version

Name:	HT Design.jpg