Center Speaker - Klipsch or Definitive Tech. ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 13 Unread 12-23-2014, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Center Speaker - Klipsch or Definitive Tech. ?

So, not having the chance to hear the comparisons, I'm looking for some input from those that have actually listened or owned these two that I'm thinking about.

Klipsch RC-42II vs Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000.

The K has a higher sensitivity rating of 95 vs DT's 90.

The K has a lower power rating of 75 vs DT's 10-200.

The K has a little worse Freq.Resp. of 88-24k vs DT's 47-30k.

The K will fit perfect in my center opening in my tv stand but the DT is a little smaller but will fit well.

The use is about 80% movies & about 20% music.

I like both of these but can't listen to them to compare!

Which would you choose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Unread 12-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 66
DefTech, but that's b/c I own one and b/c I have DefTech L & R speakers as well.

Generally you want the front three to match.

What are you using for the L & R speakers?

post #3 of 13 Unread 12-23-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Yes, your center channel should match you left/ Right front speakers in brand and model.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #4 of 13 Unread 12-23-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Def.Tech.

That Procenter 1000 has good reviews, are you real pleased with the performance for the center? Right now, I'm using Energy Take Classic front, center & surrounds with a SVS sub... But am wanting to slowly start upgrading. I was thinking if I go with the Def-Tech Center that I might go with either Def-tech Mythos 4 or BIC Acoustech PL-89. But if I go with a Klipsch Center maybe go with Klipsch Ref Towers. I really like Polk but they aren't as "efficient".
post #5 of 13 Unread 12-23-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvkawboy View Post
That Procenter 1000 has good reviews, are you real pleased with the performance for the center? Right now, I'm using Energy Take Classic front, center & surrounds with a SVS sub... But am wanting to slowly start upgrading. I was thinking if I go with the Def-Tech Center that I might go with either Def-tech Mythos 4 or BIC Acoustech PL-89. But if I go with a Klipsch Center maybe go with Klipsch Ref Towers. I really like Polk but they aren't as "efficient".
The efficiency difference is not worth noting.

Don't mix and match the center and left and right speakers. It will never sound as good as a matched set.

Mythos and the procenter do not match.

Go listen to some speakers if you can. The one's you're interested in or similar can be found at BB and BB Magnolia.

You can get the SVS Prime bookshelf speakers and center for $850 with a 45 day trial. Seems like that might be in your budget.

If not, I prefer Klipsch over Polk (obviously) so a pair of RB61s and the RC42 or 52 would be nice and can be found on sale many places like here at AVS.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #6 of 13 Unread 12-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Yes, I like it. I upgraded my center from the PC60 (a little bigger than the Takes, IIRC) and its a huge improvement. If I had the space I'd go with the PC2000 though and upgrade the L/R too.

Check out "bajawaverunner" on eBay for refurb def tech gear. It's basically DTs "unofficial" refurb seller. That's where I got my pc1000, looked brand new in packaging. Lots of us on here use that site. Also, look at "polk direct" on eBay. DT and Polk are owned by the same parent company. You'll save ~40% off retail.

The PM800s are a match to the PC1000, however you can use the PM1000 or even the SM45s if you have the space. DT timber matches their speakers across the various models so you can mix and match, but again ideally you want a matching front.

Last edited by UGAd13; 12-23-2014 at 04:21 PM.
post #7 of 13 Unread 12-23-2014, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
The efficiency difference is not worth noting.

Don't mix and match the center and left and right speakers. It will never sound as good as a matched set.

Mythos and the procenter do not match.

Go listen to some speakers if you can. The one's you're interested in or similar can be found at BB and BB Magnolia.

You can get the SVS Prime bookshelf speakers and center for $850 with a 45 day trial. Seems like that might be in your budget.

If not, I prefer Klipsch over Polk (obviously) so a pair of RB61s and the RC42 or 52 would be nice and can be found on sale many places like here at AVS.
The closest BB is about 2 hours away... It sucks but I'll try to do that before buying. Thanks for the help!
post #8 of 13 Unread 12-23-2014, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13 View Post
Yes, I like it. I upgraded my center from the PC60 (a little bigger than the Takes, IIRC) and its a huge improvement. If I had the space I'd go with the PC2000 though and upgrade the L/R too.

Check out "bajawaverunner" on eBay for refurb def tech gear. It's basically DTs "unofficial" refurb seller. That's where I got my pc1000, looked brand new in packaging. Lots of us on here use that site. Also, look at "polk direct" on eBay. DT and Polk are owned by the same parent company. You'll save ~40% off retail.

The PM800s are a match to the PC1000, however you can use the PM1000 or even the SM45s if you have the space. DT timber matches their speakers across the various models so you can mix and match, but again ideally you want a matching front.
I definitely need to give all this some thought & travel to give some a listen. Thanks for your advice!
post #9 of 13 Unread Today, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, picked up a set of Klipsch RF-52II Towers, not hooking them till I can pick up a RC-42II Center (will fit perfect in my cabinet) & then will get a set of RS-41II Surrounds.
post #10 of 13 Unread Today, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I saw a Klipsch Synergy and Icon with 5.25" drivers for rears and center. They are smaller than the Reference II line - maybe they fit in your budget and cabinets as well - then have matching speaker sizes???

Anyone know what the difference is with Synergy and Icon lines? and would they match the RF/RB 52's?
post #11 of 13 Unread Today, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardman1 View Post
I saw a Klipsch Synergy and Icon with 5.25" drivers for rears and center. They are smaller than the Reference II line - maybe they fit in your budget and cabinets as well - then have matching speaker sizes???

Anyone know what the difference is with Synergy and Icon lines? and would they match the RF/RB 52's?
Those won't fit in the "center" of my tv stand, I think I'll plan for the Reference line throughout.
post #12 of 13 Unread Today, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Got it - I have an adjustable shelf so height-wise will fit. Now if they are more compatible with 5.25" speakers vs the 4"
post #13 of 13 Unread Today, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the shelves on the sides (behind glass doors) are adjustable but the center channel space is above 2 drawers & that space is not adjustable.
Reply Speakers