Heos - issues anyone? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-10-2015, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Heos - issues anyone?

Always wanting SONOS for whole house audio, I have a good 2 channel amp but no SONOS although I did buy a connect amp to play with a while ago and fell in love with it simplicity and abundance of music sources.

Fast forward a year, in the new house, and just bought a Marantz receiver that came with a free HEOS unit (think SONOS connect, not the amp equivalent. I figured it would be just as good.... Ummmm, not so far..

1) Music sources are horrible. Yep, Pandora is on there but no Amazon. I don't believe there is a way to play all the music off my PC. Spotifiy is on there and maybe a few more, but no where near SONOS sources.

2) I connected HEOS unit with ethernet to my network then installed the app on my android phone. Works fine. But then I tried to put the HEOS app on my tablet and then on my wife's phone. Each time it says you must physically connect the the unit to the tablet or phone using a cord. Strike 1 (well maybe it's Strike 2 b/c of the sources issue above). But then when i connected using the cord and went through the prompts it told me it can't find any HEOS unit on the wireless network. Yes the tablet and perhaps phone is wireless, but the HEOS unit is ethernet connected and thus not on the wireless network.

Am i doing something wrong here? Anybody else encounter this?

I called HEOS support and the guy 'has to research it and call be back'. You have to be kidding.

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-16-2015, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I feel your pain with Heos, and I've experience much of what you have. As a Pro Integrator/Designer, we're always looking for products which will help improve *our* brand and we think/thought Heos would be a good alternative to Sonos.

So, enough on that...let me help you with your issues.

1) To share the music on your PC: Open Windows Media Player, first add your music folder to the library. Then, click on Stream -> Automatically allow devices to play my media. Then open your Heos App and select Local Music and you should see your folder there.

2) You don't need to be hard-wired to your network for Heos to work. Unfortunately, to add a Heos device or to install the Heos app on a mobile device/tablet you must connect a 3.5mm mini cable. If you still have connectivity issues, try closing the Heos App altogether and re-open.

I agree, nowhere near as simple and polished as Sonos. They definitely have work to do.

Also, there's no desktop app at this point which is absurd.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-16-2015, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
I feel your pain with Heos, and I've experience much of what you have. As a Pro Integrator/Designer, we're always looking for products which will help improve *our* brand and we think/thought Heos would be a good alternative to Sonos.

So, enough on that...let me help you with your issues.

1) To share the music on your PC: Open Windows Media Player, first add your music folder to the library. Then, click on Stream -> Automatically allow devices to play my media. Then open your Heos App and select Local Music and you should see your folder there.

2) You don't need to be hard-wired to your network for Heos to work. Unfortunately, to add a Heos device or to install the Heos app on a mobile device/tablet you must connect a 3.5mm mini cable. If you still have connectivity issues, try closing the Heos App altogether and re-open.

I agree, nowhere near as simple and polished as Sonos. They definitely have work to do.

Also, there's no desktop app at this point which is absurd.
Thanks for the response.

1) I found out one issue.....my heos is connected hard wired. But to control via phones or tablets, they have to be on my downstairs wifi not the upstairs (I have two). Ok..problem solved. So I didn't need to do the 3.5m plug connect. Whole thing was bizzarre.

2) Lack of desktop control...bad

3) Limited content as compared to Sonos.....bad

4) Sound quality as compared to the cheap bluetooth unit I was using that hooked up to my amp.....wayyyyy better.

5) Ultimately this is just one piece of a whole house audio. For the same price I'm returning it and going Sonos.

Cheers
post #4 of 4 Old Today, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorkeith View Post
Thanks for the response.

1) I found out one issue.....my heos is connected hard wired. But to control via phones or tablets, they have to be on my downstairs wifi not the upstairs (I have two). Ok..problem solved. So I didn't need to do the 3.5m plug connect. Whole thing was bizzarre.

2) Lack of desktop control...bad

3) Limited content as compared to Sonos.....bad

4) Sound quality as compared to the cheap bluetooth unit I was using that hooked up to my amp.....wayyyyy better.

5) Ultimately this is just one piece of a whole house audio. For the same price I'm returning it and going Sonos.

Cheers
The only thing I like on Heos compared to Sonos is the Spotify integration. Which, effectively isn't integrated at all...the Heos app bounces you over to your Spotify app whereas with Sonos you have extremely limited control with Spotify.

Other than that, I agree with everything else you've said. Heos has quite the uphill battle here to steal market share from Sonos.
Reply Speakers