Stereo upgrade - Martin Logan Motion 60XT? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 01-11-2015, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Stereo upgrade - Martin Logan Motion 60XT?

I've been saving money, enjoying the heck out of my Pioneer FS52 speakers but I think it's time.

I'm looking for a full size floor standing speaker with 2-channel music being my primary concern, however this is a living room setup so I'd like them to perform OK as left/right channels for home theater use as well.

I've been eyeballing the Martin Logan Motion 40 speakers for a while now and think they sound fantastic, but just today had the chance to listen to a pair of the larger Motion 60XT's and had a very hard time restraining myself. To my ears they sounded almost perfect, and at $1500/ea they are right about at the limit of my budget. They're also fairly efficient at 94dB which should help on the amplifier side, and I sometimes do enjoy turning it up a little.

I've done a small amount of listening to other speakers in this price range, mostly B&W products like the CM9/10 and some very high end models in the 800-series, but I get a feeling like you get maybe less for your money with that brand.

I've also checked out some of the electrostats Martin Logan is so well known for, but (to me) they seemed a bit more picky on listener position, which in my living room setup can vary a little.

Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of other hifi shops in the area with much else to demo, so I am hoping the internet can help me find a good speaker in my budget, or tip me off if there's something about the Motion 60's to look out for.

Thanks!

Last edited by creyc; 01-11-2015 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-11-2015, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Did you listen to the Martin Logan Electromotion ESL's? Music sounds sick with those. I went thru tons of pairs of speakers and these were the best. When they are set up right,there isn't much that will beat them.
post #3 of 31 Old 01-11-2015, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
Did you listen to the Martin Logan Electromotion ESL's?
I did, and I agree they sound excellent. I hadn't listened to a whole lot of electrostatic speakers before so I wasn't really sure what to expect, but we put on Norah Jones and it was like she was standing right there in the room with us. I thought these speakers seemed to really shine with female vocals, and no matter how high-pitch the track they never sounded shrill or offensive. If I were dealing with a designated music-room setup I would probably look very hard at these ESL's, or the Theos.

However I noticed when I moved just a bit out of the 'sweet spot' things changed quite dramatically, I feel a bigger difference than I notice with standard drivers, like the Motion 40 or 60XT. As is too often the case in real-world setups, my living room setup is far from perfect. We have couches rather than fixed listening chairs, and the dimensions could be better.

Also, the looks of the electros did not appeal too well to my better half, so convincing her could be a hurdle. I'm not ruling them out, but right now I think I would choose the 60XT over the ESL.
post #4 of 31 Old 01-11-2015, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

I understand. But how often are you out of the sweet spot. If your watching movies there doesn't have to be a sweet spot. I can't believe your woman didn't like the looks of this speaker.. My woman loves them. Martin Logan esl's are the coolest looking speaker around,that just shocks me that she doesn't like them. Everyone that see's mine just love them. Then they hear them and crap themselves..lol The 60XT's are nice also. I haven't heard the 60's ,but I've heard the 40's and they are nice. I think your woman likes the look of the gloss black.. Can't blame her.

PS. The ESL's sound awesome with any type of music,its just a matter of how good of a recording it is. If you like Norah Jones on the ESL's,you should hear Dido
post #5 of 31 Old 01-11-2015, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've also been eying the motion 40s. I cannot find a pair of 60xt to listen too, unfortunately. The electrostatics have a very defined vertical sweet spot too. Stand up and you lose 1/4 of the sound. Did you notice anything like that with the 60XTs? The specs on MLs web site say they have smaller dispersion angles than the 40s. 80x80 vs 80x30.

You might consider paradigm 60s floorstanders or revel m106 stand mounted speakers. I just heard the revels and the 40s on the same day and revels I pressed me. My 23 year old budding audiophile son preferred the revels.

Yamaha RX-A820 | Panasonic TC-P54S2 | Def Tech BP8B Fronts
Def Tech CLR2002 Center | Def Tech BP2X sides | NHT SuperZero Heights
Streamer: Zotac ZBox ID41 (OpenELEC) | Linux media server (XBMC DB and Plex MS)
Computer area: MartinLogan Motion LX16's | NAD D3020 | DefTech ProSub 60
post #6 of 31 Old 01-12-2015, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I can't believe your woman didn't like the looks of this speaker.. My woman loves them. Martin Logan esl's are the coolest looking speaker around,that just shocks me that she doesn't like them.
You have to admit, they're a bit...unique looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMarcus View Post
I've also been eying the motion 40s. I cannot find a pair of 60xt to listen too, unfortunately. The electrostatics have a very defined vertical sweet spot too. Stand up and you lose 1/4 of the sound. Did you notice anything like that with the 60XTs? The specs on MLs web site say they have smaller dispersion angles than the 40s. 80x80 vs 80x30.
That's a good observation about the reduced vertical dispersion of the 60XT, and something I didn't properly evaluate. To be honest the 'demo' I got was probably the worst experience I've had in a speaker shop in a long while. The fact it was a pre-arranged appointment yet they still weren't hooked up when I got there is one thing, but then given the choice between some scratched to **** DVD of U2 B-sides or an even worse condition Norah Jones CD in which only 1 track would actually play made it hard to really enjoy the speakers.

I'm planning on going back with a few CD's from my own collection and I will certainly pay attention to that dispersion pattern.

Quote:
You might consider paradigm 60s floorstanders or revel m106 stand mounted speakers. I just heard the revels and the 40s on the same day and revels I pressed me. My 23 year old budding audiophile son preferred the revels.
I suppose I'm a bit old-fashioned and possibly way off my rocker here, but one thing I LOVE about the Motion 60XT is how low they play all on their own. I see no reason to run a subwoofer with them. The dual 8" bass drivers remind me a little of the big JBLs and Klipsch and KEFs I grew up around. I know you can make a fantastic system with bookshelfs and the right sub, but I'd be lying if said I didn't get any enjoyment out of the appearance and room presence of a huge pair of speakers. I know it's not very objective of me, but hey its fun.
post #7 of 31 Old 01-12-2015, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just auditioned a number of speakers in this price range. Most really great. Listened to the Monitor Audio gx 200 and the silver 8s. Also heard the b&w 683, cm9 and 10. Then finally the Focal Aria 926 and 936. Also heard the Martin Logan ESLs and 40XT. After many listening sessions and going back and forth on what we liked best, we picked the focal 926s. I recognize that this is all very subjective but here is how we ranked them and why.
Focal 926 for us it did the best overall job of surrounding us with really rich sounds high to low and put us in the middle of the sound stage so this is the pair we ordered. 936 was just a bit too bassy for us.
BW cm 10 and MA GX200 were both awesome. The BW sound was terrific. Very clear and great separation of sounds. At the end of the day it just didn't bring us into the music the same way the Focals did. We loved the sound of the gx200 ribbon tweeters, so crisp and clear. Very close to picking this speaker as well. It just sounded overall a little harsher than the Focal. Again really splitting hairs but could only buy one pair. These two ran about 500 more than the Focals.
BW cm 9 and the MA silver 8s were both very nice but after hearing the others they just didn't sound as good. 9s were priced similar to the Focals and the MA 8s were bout 600 less. The BW 683s while a nice speaker didn't perform near any of the others. The ML 40's were nice but didn't produce the same sound quality as the Focals or the better B&Ws. I wanted to try the ML 60s but couldn't find them anywhere local to listen to. I also listened to the ML ESLs. Loved them but they just didn't fit our room setup as they really need to sit a couple of feet away from the wall and because of the sweet spot issue discussed above.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-12-2015, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Consider,Ascend Sierra 1 towers with Raal tweeters, Philharmonic Slims at or below ML 40 pricing.

Mits WD-92840 92" DLP - Lumagen Radiance XS, Martin Logan Motion 40s, Ascend Sierra 2s
Older 58" Panny Plasma -DVDO DUO, JBL Studio 530
Pioneer AJs, PSB Images, Usher S520, JBL HLS-610, Definitive SM45, MusicHall Marimba
post #9 of 31 Old 01-12-2015, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I'd take a VERY loooong look at the RBH sx-6300/r

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #10 of 31 Old 01-12-2015, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

I wish there was somewhere in my area I could hear the focal's. I do love my ESL's,my room probably isn't the greatest for them either,but they do sound awesome. I didn't want another box speaker this time.
post #11 of 31 Old 01-12-2015, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post
I'd take a VERY loooong look at the RBH sx-6300/r
Unfortunately there's not an easy way for me to demo these speakers, but there is a local dealer/installer who could get me a set of the SX-6300/R for a very attractive price.

I hear nothing but glowing reviews of these speakers, but I don't know if I could bring myself to buy a set of speakers without knowing how they sound in person.

Have you had a chance to hear the Motion 60XT's by any chance?
post #12 of 31 Old 01-12-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
I wish there was somewhere in my area I could hear the focal's. I do love my ESL's,my room probably isn't the greatest for them either,but they do sound awesome. I didn't want another box speaker this time.
One is either a panel person or not. I happened to really love the ML Summits and Ethos (not so much with the older Vantage, but by the third audition liked them better as long as I didn't listen to the Summits). But as has been stated, the sweet spot is surprisingly narrow, which was one reason I opted for a different panel design.

I wasn't surprised to find it difficult going with a conventional speaker in my other room, but given time I'm pretty darn happy with what I ended up getting for that room.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #13 of 31 Old 01-12-2015, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by creyc View Post
Unfortunately there's not an easy way for me to demo these speakers, but there is a local dealer/installer who could get me a set of the SX-6300/R for a very attractive price.

I hear nothing but glowing reviews of these speakers, but I don't know if I could bring myself to buy a set of speakers without knowing how they sound in person.

Have you had a chance to hear the Motion 60XT's by any chance?
I'll send you a PM about the RBH's....and stuff

I haven't had a chance to hear them yet, but I'd love to. Santa was very nice to me this year so I've seriously considered picking up a pair and a pair of their 1212 subs too, but can't seem to pull the trigger as I have a wedding and some other things coming up in a few months. I know someone that now has the RBH t2's and absolutely loves them. Some day I'd like to make it over there to hear them as he lives pretty darn close to me. He's had Salon2's, B&W 800's (maybe it was 802's), TAD's, etc etc and seems to like the RBH's just as much. Either one will sound incredible, but if RBH can do what they've done with the EMP line at their price...I can't imagine how amazing their reference midranges paired with the Scan 2904, which is arguably one of the best dome tweeters ever, coupled with three 6.5's that can be run active on an external amp would sound. Yum!! That's A LOT of quality drivers for the money. Like I said though, whether you go with the 60XT's, Ascend Sierra towers, sx-6300/r's, etc...they're all going to be much more likely to satisfy the owner than not.

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #14 of 31 Old 01-12-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post
I'll send you a PM about the RBH's....and stuff

I haven't had a chance to hear them yet, but I'd love to. Santa was very nice to me this year so I've seriously considered picking up a pair and a pair of their 1212 subs too, but can't seem to pull the trigger as I have a wedding and some other things coming up in a few months. I know someone that now has the RBH t2's and absolutely loves them. Some day I'd like to make it over there to hear them as he lives pretty darn close to me. He's had Salon2's, B&W 800's (maybe it was 802's), TAD's, etc etc and seems to like the RBH's just as much. Either one will sound incredible, but if RBH can do what they've done with the EMP line at their price...I can't imagine how amazing their reference midranges paired with the Scan 2904, which is arguably one of the best dome tweeters ever, coupled with three 6.5's that can be run active on an external amp would sound. Yum!! That's A LOT of quality drivers for the money. Like I said though, whether you go with the 60XT's, Ascend Sierra towers, sx-6300/r's, etc...they're all going to be much more likely to satisfy the owner than not.
I have been running some RBH speakers in one of my setups for over 15 years. Mine are the bookshelf speakers and in-wall speakers, but use the same 6.5" drivers and silk dome tweeters. Really nice speakers. AVS added RBH to our line up a couple years ago.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #15 of 31 Old 01-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
One is either a panel person or not. I happened to really love the ML Summits and Ethos (not so much with the older Vantage, but by the third audition liked them better as long as I didn't listen to the Summits). But as has been stated, the sweet spot is surprisingly narrow, which was one reason I opted for a different panel design.

I wasn't surprised to find it difficult going with a conventional speaker in my other room, but given time I'm pretty darn happy with what I ended up getting for that room.
I hear ya Druss. I demoed a ton of speakers before I got the ESL's. CM9's,Motion 40's,Def Tech 8060's,Aperion Grand Verus,Mirage,ect. None of them wow'd me like the ESL's. Its a small sweet spot,but its only me most of the time so it doesn't matter. The sound those things produce is worth the small price to pay for the sweet spot. ):
dsrussell likes this.
post #16 of 31 Old 01-13-2015, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well I've now thrown Golden Ears Triton Two's into the mix as well, as there might be a possibility of getting a local demo. On paper (both specs and reviews) they certainly seem like an amazing value.
post #17 of 31 Old 01-13-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Well I've now thrown Golden Ears Triton Two's into the mix as well, as there might be a possibility of getting a local demo. On paper (both specs and reviews) they certainly seem like an amazing value.
I found the tritons too dark for my taste, even with the base turned down (they have built-in powered subs). There is a new triton (not yet released), the Triton 5, that might be a good alternative to the Motion 40s

post #18 of 31 Old 01-13-2015, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I found the tritons too dark for my taste, even with the base turned down (they have built-in powered subs). There is a new triton (not yet released), the Triton 5, that might be a good alternative to the Motion 40s
Thanks for your impressions. Fortunately from what I understand my dealer has most if not the entire Golden Ears lineup on display, so I will no doubt be visiting this Friday. I thought it was somewhat interesting both the ML Motion and the GE Triton's both use similar folded-ribbon type tweeters, I wonder how they compare.

One aspect I'm not so keen on with the GE Triton is the added complexity of the internal amplifier. On one hand its a nice value, and broadens my amplifier selection greatly, but it's also one more thing to go wrong and not as easily replaced as a blown traditional external amplifier.

I also don't know that I completely agree with the GE philosophy of keeping your 'subwoofers' tied to the same location as your mains. Maybe it's a more 'coherent' sound, but last I checked room modes are still an enormous consideration. Doing extensive subwoofer position testing in the past, I found two subs placed midway at the left and right walls far surpasses subs up front near the towers.
post #19 of 31 Old 01-13-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your impressions. Fortunately from what I understand my dealer has most if not the entire Golden Ears lineup on display, so I will no doubt be visiting this Friday. I thought it was somewhat interesting both the ML Motion and the GE Triton's both use similar folded-ribbon type tweeters, I wonder how they compare.

One aspect I'm not so keen on with the GE Triton is the added complexity of the internal amplifier. On one hand its a nice value, and broadens my amplifier selection greatly, but it's also one more thing to go wrong and not as easily replaced as a blown traditional external amplifier.

I also don't know that I completely agree with the GE philosophy of keeping your 'subwoofers' tied to the same location as your mains. Maybe it's a more 'coherent' sound, but last I checked room modes are still an enormous consideration. Doing extensive subwoofer position testing in the past, I found two subs placed midway at the left and right walls far surpasses subs up front near the towers.
Listen to the triton seven first. No built-in sub. Then listen to the Triton 1, top of the line. The Triton 5 is supposed to have all the sound goodness of the triton 1, but no built in subs, so hopefully not as dark.

The triton seven list for $699 each. The five will sell for $999, so they compete with the motion 20 and 40 respectively.

post #20 of 31 Old 01-14-2015, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I've been saving money, enjoying the heck out of my Pioneer FS52 speakers but I think it's time.

I'm looking for a full size floor standing speaker with 2-channel music being my primary concern, however this is a living room setup so I'd like them to perform OK as left/right channels for home theater use as well.

I've been eyeballing the Martin Logan Motion 40 speakers for a while now and think they sound fantastic, but just today had the chance to listen to a pair of the larger Motion 60XT's and had a very hard time restraining myself. To my ears they sounded almost perfect, and at $1500/ea they are right about at the limit of my budget. They're also fairly efficient at 94dB which should help on the amplifier side, and I sometimes do enjoy turning it up a little.

I've done a small amount of listening to other speakers in this price range, mostly B&W products like the CM9/10 and some very high end models in the 800-series, but I get a feeling like you get maybe less for your money with that brand.

I've also checked out some of the electrostats Martin Logan is so well known for, but (to me) they seemed a bit more picky on listener position, which in my living room setup can vary a little.

Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of other hifi shops in the area with much else to demo, so I am hoping the internet can help me find a good speaker in my budget, or tip me off if there's something about the Motion 60's to look out for.

Thanks!
Hi Creyc,
I recently purchased the Motion 60XT's and matching center channel (50XT). They really are great for 2 channel stereo listening. I ensure that my subs are turned off in 2 channel mode. The bass is very tight and deep. Voices just seem to float between the two speakers. The clarity and highs of these speakers are also very impressive. I came from B&W 683's and spent a lot of time at various dealers listening to different brands before selecting the Martin Logan's.

One thing to note is that even though they are efficient (94db), they are 4 ohm and can dip lower than that, so good amplification is important to get the best out of them.

You might want to have a read of this thread as there is a lot of good information and a link to a professional review of the 60XT's

MartinLogan Motion Owners Thread

Regards,
Stephen
dsrussell and TomC1315 like this.

Last edited by whmacs; 01-14-2015 at 10:16 PM.
post #21 of 31 Old 01-15-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whmacs View Post
Hi Creyc,
I recently purchased the Motion 60XT's and matching center channel (50XT). They really are great for 2 channel stereo listening. I ensure that my subs are turned off in 2 channel mode. The bass is very tight and deep. Voices just seem to float between the two speakers. The clarity and highs of these speakers are also very impressive. I came from B&W 683's and spent a lot of time at various dealers listening to different brands before selecting the Martin Logan's.

One thing to note is that even though they are efficient (94db), they are 4 ohm and can dip lower than that, so good amplification is important to get the best out of them.

You might want to have a read of this thread as there is a lot of good information and a link to a professional review of the 60XT's

MartinLogan Motion Owners Thread

Regards,
Stephen
Stephen,

I think we all want to come over a have a listen!

How's the vertical dispersion? What happen when you stand up, does the audio quality change? The 60s have an 80x30 dispersion spec, where the 40s are 80x80. Can you hear that?

post #22 of 31 Old 01-15-2015, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Stephen,

I think we all want to come over a have a listen!

How's the vertical dispersion? What happen when you stand up, does the audio quality change? The 60s have an 80x30 dispersion spec, where the 40s are 80x80. Can you hear that?
Hi AllanMarcus,
They really do sound nice. They are tall speakers at 1.2m. I sit around 4metres from them. Standing up or sitting down I don't notice any difference. At 4metres 30 degrees is quite a large arc.

As they use ribbon tweeters the clarity of these speakers is exceptional. The opening strums on the guitars in Eagles: Hell freezes over, has a level of detail and crispness I have not heard in a speaker before. Vocals are also vey clear and crisp.

It was the usual story, you listen to a lot of speakers at dealers. You pick a model as it sounds a bit better than the others you have listened to. You take then home hoping you have made the right decision. You set them up and are blown away how good they sound in your own environment. You are happy!

Regards,
Stephen
dsrussell likes this.
post #23 of 31 Old 01-16-2015, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Listen to the triton seven first. No built-in sub. Then listen to the Triton 1, top of the line. The Triton 5 is supposed to have all the sound goodness of the triton 1, but no built in subs, so hopefully not as dark.

The triton seven list for $699 each. The five will sell for $999, so they compete with the motion 20 and 40 respectively.
Man these Tritons are something special indeed! And the imaging, nothing short of amazing. I ended up leaving with a pair of the Twos.

It's hard for me to describe just how good they sound in my room, although I have no doubt any of the other fine speakers I've been researching would sound amazing as well.

Now, to sit back and enjoy. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions!
dscottj likes this.
post #24 of 31 Old 01-17-2015, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How about Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 vs. MartinLogan motion 60xt?
post #25 of 31 Old 01-19-2015, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norboo View Post
How about Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 vs. MartinLogan motion 60xt?
I listened to both. I bought the 60xt. I absolutely loved the clarity of the 60xt. The were more forward than the Sonus without being harsh and that is better for movies. The bass /mid bass was tight and powerful. I liked the Sonus styling / look and sound but the clarity of the 60xt had me floating.

Then you add on the Specs like the 60xt was more sensitive 94db vs 90db, Power handling 400w vs 300w, 4ohms vs 6ohms, Heavier 66lbs vs 47lbs, Bigger drivers Midrange 6.5in vs 6in, Woofers two 8in vs two 7in. Then last but not least it is cheaper which all adds up to better value.

I really really liked the Sonus Faber but I fell in loved with the 60xt and this was all after i started out not wanting to buy anything Martin Logan.
Norboo likes this.
post #26 of 31 Old 01-20-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePalace View Post
I listened to both. I bought the 60xt. I absolutely loved the clarity of the 60xt. The were more forward than the Sonus without being harsh and that is better for movies. The bass /mid bass was tight and powerful. I liked the Sonus styling / look and sound but the clarity of the 60xt had me floating.

Then you add on the Specs like the 60xt was more sensitive 94db vs 90db, Power handling 400w vs 300w, 4ohms vs 6ohms, Heavier 66lbs vs 47lbs, Bigger drivers Midrange 6.5in vs 6in, Woofers two 8in vs two 7in. Then last but not least it is cheaper which all adds up to better value.

I really really liked the Sonus Faber but I fell in loved with the 60xt and this was all after i started out not wanting to buy anything Martin Logan.
Thank you. Out of curiosity, what receiver AVR are you using for your MartinLogan?
post #27 of 31 Old 01-20-2015, 07:57 PM

What is a good price for the MartinLogan Motion 60XT? If we can't talk out in the open, please PM me. Thank you.
post #28 of 31 Old Today, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ill soon post a writeup on my speaker comparisons but this is an excerpt that speaks to the OPs dilemma. I bought a pair of 60xts along with a 50xt center over the holidays but they went back in the end. I really wanted to like them. Partially because they would be a major pain to return because of their size. I initially liked them but I found glaring flaws. First the good. They had pretty good sound staging, the fxt tweeter is quite a work of art. It conveyed emotion, liveliness, reality in the voices and instruments that are hard to get at any price level. ( I have paradigm signatures with the beryllium tweeters in my second system). I find the fxt tweeter less edgy and fatiguing than the Be tweeter.

Now the bad, first off, and this is the main negative, the build quality is bad for a 3k pair of speakers. The front baffle is made of cheap mdf and painted black. In my pair the speaker cones were not centered on the cut outs and looked cheap. While the piano black finish is nice, the gold plating on the binding posts started chipping the day I got them. Secondly, I found that since the bass drivers were so far from the tweeter midrange array, there was significant lobing. The sound was incoherent, with bass tones of voices and instruments separating oddly within space. Imagine hearing a voice without the bass weight, then imagine hearing the same voice through a door. Now together. Odd. This may have been due to the fact that I am only about 8 feet from the speakers. But I did not find the sound cohesive at all. I also found that though pretty great, the fxt tweeter was too directional for my 8 foot distance. This affected soundstaging, which only made it pretty good.

I now have a pair of Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL. Notable differences are that the the RAAL tweeter is not as crisp but just as detailed if not more so. The RAAL tweeter sounds very sweet, not as forward as the 60xt tweeter. One great benefit to this is that I can turn up the volume on the towers for room filling sound without hurting my ears. The RAAL tweeter had much better dispersion than the 60xt tweeter, soundstaging with the RAAL tweeter is excellent. Its a draw between the two. I really did like the 60xt tweeter, the music seemed "alive". The bass of the Sierra towers was much more cohesive. Lets just say the sierra towers were more cohesive, period. However there is less bass authority coming from the 5.25 woofers compared to the 60xts 8 inch cones. A sub is required for great two channel listening . I'm getting my SB-13 next week

In the end I am very happy with the Sierra Towers. My decision rested on a last point that mattered most to me. Build quality, craftsmanship, and customer service. The build quality of the Sierra towers warmed my heart. Each speaker was wrapped in a thick felt blanket out of the box. The binding posts were solid brass, the drivers were recessed in the cabinet. Ascend hand matches the speakers, my pair has perfect side to side imaging. (the 60xts were poorly matched, I heard a few decibels difference between the front speakers) Dina, the sales and support person at Ascend picks up the after two rings and can walk over to Dave F. for any questions. (Ascend founder and CEO)

Hope this comparison helps. One note, not to the OPs question, but the Sierra Horizon center is much better than the 50xt ML center. That did sway my decision. I really did like the trio 60xts and 50xt center. I just wished that they were 1/3 cheaper. That would have justified the purchase for me, because I am a stickler for craftsmanship.
dsrussell likes this.
post #29 of 31 Old Today, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norboo View Post
What is a good price for the MartinLogan Motion 60XT? If we can't talk out in the open, please PM me. Thank you.
There is a pair on audiogon for 2k plus shipping.
Norboo likes this.

post #30 of 31 Old Today, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardkt View Post
Ill soon post a writeup on my speaker comparisons but this is an excerpt that speaks to the OPs dilemma. I bought a pair of 60xts along with a 50xt center over the holidays but they went back in the end. I really wanted to like them. Partially because they would be a major pain to return because of their size. I initially liked them but I found glaring flaws. First the good. They had pretty good sound staging, the fxt tweeter is quite a work of art. It conveyed emotion, liveliness, reality in the voices and instruments that are hard to get at any price level. ( I have paradigm signatures with the beryllium tweeters in my second system). I find the fxt tweeter less edgy and fatiguing than the Be tweeter.

Now the bad, first off, and this is the main negative, the build quality is bad for a 3k pair of speakers. The front baffle is made of cheap mdf and painted black. In my pair the speaker cones were not centered on the cut outs and looked cheap. While the piano black finish is nice, the gold plating on the binding posts started chipping the day I got them. Secondly, I found that since the bass drivers were so far from the tweeter midrange array, there was significant lobing. The sound was incoherent, with bass tones of voices and instruments separating oddly within space. Imagine hearing a voice without the bass weight, then imagine hearing the same voice through a door. Now together. Odd. This may have been due to the fact that I am only about 8 feet from the speakers. But I did not find the sound cohesive at all. I also found that though pretty great, the fxt tweeter was too directional for my 8 foot distance. This affected soundstaging, which only made it pretty good.

I now have a pair of Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL. Notable differences are that the the RAAL tweeter is not as crisp but just as detailed if not more so. The RAAL tweeter sounds very sweet, not as forward as the 60xt tweeter. One great benefit to this is that I can turn up the volume on the towers for room filling sound without hurting my ears. The RAAL tweeter had much better dispersion than the 60xt tweeter, soundstaging with the RAAL tweeter is excellent. Its a draw between the two. I really did like the 60xt tweeter, the music seemed "alive". The bass of the Sierra towers was much more cohesive. Lets just say the sierra towers were more cohesive, period. However there is less bass authority coming from the 5.25 woofers compared to the 60xts 8 inch cones. A sub is required for great two channel listening . I'm getting my SB-13 next week

In the end I am very happy with the Sierra Towers. My decision rested on a last point that mattered most to me. Build quality, craftsmanship, and customer service. The build quality of the Sierra towers warmed my heart. Each speaker was wrapped in a thick felt blanket out of the box. The binding posts were solid brass, the drivers were recessed in the cabinet. Ascend hand matches the speakers, my pair has perfect side to side imaging. (the 60xts were poorly matched, I heard a few decibels difference between the front speakers) Dina, the sales and support person at Ascend picks up the after two rings and can walk over to Dave F. for any questions. (Ascend founder and CEO)

Hope this comparison helps. One note, not to the OPs question, but the Sierra Horizon center is much better than the 50xt ML center. That did sway my decision. I really did like the trio 60xts and 50xt center. I just wished that they were 1/3 cheaper. That would have justified the purchase for me, because I am a stickler for craftsmanship.
The 60s seem like they would be way too big for only 8 feet away. Seems the 40s would have been a better choice, or possibly the revel m106 stand mounts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers