AVS Forum banner

Replacing my front 3

889 views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  zieglj01 
#1 ·
Seeking advice on going with 3 Studio Monitor 65's for LCR or RF-62 II's and RC-62 II. I've been told the Klipsch would be more "fun and dynamic" for home theater. My room is sealed, 18x18x8; I have dual Epik Empires and the 4520ci. Thanks for any ideas/opinions.

#2 ·
Only you can be the judge, so you need to go out and audition them. Congrats on the dual Epik Empires :eek:.

Reactions: darthray
#3 · (Edited)
Like dsrussel said, only you can be the judge.

Klipsch would be more "fun and dynamic" for home theater (from the OP post).
This sound like a salesman pitch to me, dynamic, Yes.

The sound and the forward brightness of the Klipsch is not for everyone, personally.
I do not care for their sound and also fatiguing if you listen to them for a an extendable period of time, some others do love them.

So go listen to them first, since the only person to please is You:)

Ray

#5 ·
Just bought a pair of SM65s for my LR and a CS8040HD fot the center. I am very happy with them. I'd find a nice HT seller and listen to both SM55s and SM65s. They're a bit different sounding. I liked them both. Compare with other speaker brands and see what your ear likes.

#6 ·
Generally speaking I would recommend auditioning Klipsch before buying. Some people love them and some people find them overly bright and fatiguing when listening for extended periods.

Personally I would lean toward the three SM65's ... they are a well regarded and often recommended speaker here in the forums, and you would get the advantage of three identical speakers LCR across the front.

#7 ·
Generally speaking I would recommend auditioning Klipsch before buying. Some people love them and some people find them overly bright and fatiguing when listening for extended periods.

Personally I would lean toward the three SM65's ... they are a well regarded and often recommended speaker here in the forums, and you would get the advantage of three identical speakers LCR across the front.

+1 on that :)
"Generally speaking I would recommend auditioning Klipsch before buying. Some people love them and some people find them overly bright and fatiguing when listening for extended periods."

they are not for everyone.

Ray

#9 ·
I own the earlier version of the Def Tech Studio Monitor, the SM450 and for a small speaker, it has pretty impressive bass and overall good sound. Not as good of bass as Def tech spec say, but not light on the bass! However, having heard a number of speakers in the price range, I will say paying list price for most Def Tech speakers is too much. My Sm450 list for 599.00/pr, I was able to get them during a one day New Egg special deal for 175/pr. At that price they are fanatastic, but for 600 dollars, I know I could get better speakers. Maybe this is all irrelevant, as I haven't heard the SM65/55/45 series, except briefly in a terrible best buy setting...

#10 · (Edited)
I think I'd like to keep the SM65's but I can't find or come up with anything to set them on (speaking of the left & right) that doesn't look terrible flanking either side of my projection screen. Most of the stands I've found that are reasonably priced would have the 65's sitting unsecured on an undersized top plate.

#12 ·
Thanks to all for taking time to offer ideas, opinions and advice-I appreciate it. I should mention that I'm replacing Klipsch Synergy F3's, C3 and S2 surrounds so probably anything is going to be a big improvement. Downstairs, I replaced Axiom M60's and VP150 (worst center I've ever owned) with Def Tech PM1000's and the PC2000 and I really don't miss the towers too badly which is why I got the 3 SM65's....just wish I could find stands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.