AVS Forum banner

Where's the Harbeth thread?

787 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  bthrb4u 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I read a 6 moons review of the Super hl5 plus and the while obviously the writer knew how to make it sound like the absolute perfect speaker, the way he explained it was right on par with what I feel my ears have come to believe is a more musical. Unfortunately, that speaker is a little out of my price range and it saddens me. It's amazing what a good write can do for reputation. He's not the only one though as every single review in them is extremely positive and they all say the same thing about the Harbeths.

#5 ·
It's here, I guess, although for some reason it isn't much longer than yours:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1473371-official-yet-informal-harbeth-owner-s-thread.html
Yup; I started that, and no one showed up.

I wouldn't say Harbeths aren't "well known"; just maybe AVS is V-centric. That is...even though this place has its share of hard-core, 2-channel audiophiles; they also have an interest in Video...or they wouldn't have ended up here to begin with (as opposed to one of the Audio-only sites).

I can tell you; IMO...Harbeth in no way, shape, or form works in an HT, lol. Maybe that's why there's not a lot of owners here.

Make up something interesting about yourself, and post at the Official forum I guess. :rolleyes:

Reactions: bthrb4u
#7 ·
Well, first of all...let's clear something up: Harbeths are NOT, some cute, little, unknown, boutique brand. They are among, some of the best speakers in the world!

That being said...it has a definite voice, that is not going to be to the liking of all. Their approach, is of the utmost British old-school; they don't have booming bass, nor sizzling highs. With Harbeths, it is ALL about that middle (sorry Meghan ;))

That is why, IMO only...I wouldn't dream, of Harbeth in an HT. For HT...my focus, is clarity and impact. I wouldn't say that's a strength of Harbeth, so why spend 4-5 figures, for an ill-fitting speaker. Has nothing to do with "incompetence".

#8 ·
The word incompetence can come off as aabrasive but that's not what I was going for. I completely understand they aren't voiced with in your face dynamics and impact which are traits generally wanted for home theater applications. I read that the bass on the super hl5+ is on the warm side. So warm without being impactful?

#9 ·
I'm not going to comment much more...because it's just one man's opinion (though this one man, has owned 3 pairs of Harbies :))

Let's just say...it wouldn't be my choice for HT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.