Help a noob pick 5.1 speakers ~ $1500 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Elihawk
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old Today, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Pasta13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maple Valley, WA
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help a noob pick 5.1 speakers ~ $1500

I'm active in enough forums (Jeeps, Harleys, knives) to know I should search the forum first, and I did, but the more I read the more lost I get haha.

I have a Sony STR-DN850 tuner and just got the Energy Take Classic 5.1 set. I'm sending the Energys back, not enough speaker for my needs. I need help selecting new speakers for hopefully under or around $1500. I'm getting conflicting information on where to spend the bulk of the money. I've seen recommendations for people in my budget to spend big on floor standing or good bookshelf speakers for the front stage, and then pick cheaper rear surrounds and a mid level sub. Then I read a recommendation to pick cheaper fronts (I think the ones mentioned were about $100 each) and spend big on two SVS PB-2000 subs at $800 each. $1600 on subs and $500 on speakers sounds like my car when I was in my 20s and that wasn't very well balanced lol. I have a friend that loves his DT Procinema 1000 and recommended that with the ProCenter 2000. I haven't been able to get together to hear it though. I'm worried that these would end up being a slightly better version of the Energys but at 4x the price, since I think they're still smallish satellite speakers in the front?

My uses are almost 100% movies. I'll also use it for tv and a little music but I'm really only concerned about movie sound. I like action movies (lots of gunshots and explosions) and I like my movies LOUD. The Energies actually sounded ok at moderate volume (especially considering the huge hole in its frequency response that I learned about later on here) but it just can't keep up with the size room I have.

About the room. I'm not sure if what's the most important is size of viewing area (distance from me to speakers) or actual room size where walls can bounce sound back. My ears will be about 12 feet from the tv and front speakers, and the surrounds will be a few feet away to the sides and back. The actual room size though is tricky. The living room is beside the kitchen and is separated by a countertop and hanging cupboards. Sound will bounce back some but there's a big gap right at speaker height where sound can go into the kitchen. There's also about 5 or 6 feet of space behind the tv before the next wall and another few feet behind the couch. So overall room size is about 20x12 if you don't count the kitchen, 20x20 if you do. Normal height ceilings.

As for preferences, I would prefer bookshelf speakers but might be able to get floor standing ones to work if the payoff is big. I'm thinking that price would be more of an issue than size though. I do love my deep bass and do have 2 sub outputs, so feel free to recommend a setup in my budget that includes one sub with the intention to get a matching sub several months down the road. I do need one sub now but want to spend enough on my speakers.

Thanks for any help! Sorry it was such a long read, I tried to cover the questions I could think of.

Chris
Pasta13 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old Today, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,800
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I would recommend the Outlaw x12 sub, about $650. 12 inch sub, plenty of output and with a second one down the road, you would be set. Goods ID subs from HSU, SVS, PSA, Rythmiks, Reaction Audio, etc
EMP has great speakers for the price, but sounds like the Holiday sale has them lacking till march. Ascend Acoustics might be able to get you at least a 5.1 for the remaining 850 (Cbm-170s?)- 6.5 inch driver, dome tweeter and 350/pr and matching center for around 300. Cheaper surrounds would be fine for now. Plenty of other options...
newc33 likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old Today, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,390
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 699
I would look at a Hsu Hybrid 3 HP 3.1 package and use some Infinity Primus p153s for surrounds. The Hsu speakers are very good and can remain clean at loud volumes, and the sub is simply the best for the money at the moment. It looks like it may have as much output as two PB2000s above 25 Hz, so needless to say, it will get loud. The Primus bookshelf speakers are good, and would serve well as surround speakers while keeping the setup near your budget. That setup would pound you, and make movie night a lot of fun for you and your guests.
shadyJ is online now  
post #4 of 15 Old Today, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,766
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 602
HTD is having a 10% off sale - coupon code is sale2015

Look at the Level Three bookshelf and center for the fronts
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers

Level Two for the surrounds
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-tw...shelf-Speakers

With the Outlaw Ultra-X12 subwoofer
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra.html

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #5 of 15 Old Today, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Pasta13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maple Valley, WA
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
I would look at... [links removed because noob status doesn't allow me to quote them]... The Hsu speakers are very good and can remain clean at loud volumes, and the sub is simply the best for the money at the moment. It looks like it may have as much output as two PB2000s above 25 Hz, so needless to say, it will get loud. The Primus bookshelf speakers are good, and would serve well as surround speakers while keeping the setup near your budget. That setup would pound you, and make movie night a lot of fun for you and your guests.
Wow. I checked out the specs on that HSU setup and got all warm and fuzzy. That thing looks like a beast. I can get the Primus' rears for about $160 less on the total package (free shipping from amazon) so that's tempting. How much of a sacrifice would you say that would be over spending an extra $160 to do the matching 5.1 setup? I'll technically have the money but my HT budget is conflicting with my Jeep parts budget that I've already got my heart set on (I guess even being single there's still budget conflicts lol).

Two side questions... I've read that it's best to pick speakers you want and then select an amp that works with them. Is the amp I have a good match? Powerful enough to really get them going? The other question is I already have some 16ga Monster speaker cable. I've been reading more and understand that your gauge is mainly dependent on length of run and speaker impedance. Since they're only 8ohm speakers and my longest runs are maybe 25-30 feet, am I good to go or should I step up to 14ga? I know these speakers would draw more power than my other ones and was surprised the article I read didn't address wattage. I also got a little confused by the fact that impedance is more continuously variable than constant. Understand the concept but need to read it more thoroughly to see how much it'll affect my wire choice.

Thanks for the help guys! Already feeling better about my choices.
Pasta13 is online now  
post #6 of 15 Old Today, 03:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Billy Boden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lexington Ky
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta13 View Post
Wow. I checked out the specs on that HSU setup and got all warm and fuzzy. That thing looks like a beast. I can get the Primus' rears for about $160 less on the total package (free shipping from amazon) so that's tempting. How much of a sacrifice would you say that would be over spending an extra $160 to do the matching 5.1 setup? I'll technically have the money but my HT budget is conflicting with my Jeep parts budget that I've already got my heart set on (I guess even being single there's still budget conflicts lol).

Two side questions... I've read that it's best to pick speakers you want and then select an amp that works with them. Is the amp I have a good match? Powerful enough to really get them going? The other question is I already have some 16ga Monster speaker cable. I've been reading more and understand that your gauge is mainly dependent on length of run and speaker impedance. Since they're only 8ohm speakers and my longest runs are maybe 25-30 feet, am I good to go or should I step up to 14ga? I know these speakers would draw more power than my other ones and was surprised the article I read didn't address wattage. I also got a little confused by the fact that impedance is more continuously variable than constant. Understand the concept but need to read it more thoroughly to see how much it'll affect my wire choice.

Thanks for the help guys! Already feeling better about my choices.
I would stick with matching speakers all around.

You have plenty of amp for those speakers.

For a 30ft run I would go with 12awg. Don't buy brand name cable. The Low Voltage cable that they sell at home improvement stores will work as well as any cable on the planet. http://www.lowes.com/Lighting-Ceilin.../N-1z0vgbb/pl#!


I put a HSU system in my sisters house and it is really good. (I live in DIY land so my frame of reference is a bit above average )
Billy Boden is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old Today, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta13 View Post
Wow. I checked out the specs on that HSU setup and got all warm and fuzzy. That thing looks like a beast. I can get the Primus' rears for about $160 less on the total package (free shipping from amazon) so that's tempting. How much of a sacrifice would you say that would be over spending an extra $160 to do the matching 5.1 setup? I'll technically have the money but my HT budget is conflicting with my Jeep parts budget that I've already got my heart set on (I guess even being single there's still budget conflicts lol).

Two side questions... I've read that it's best to pick speakers you want and then select an amp that works with them. Is the amp I have a good match? Powerful enough to really get them going? The other question is I already have some 16ga Monster speaker cable. I've been reading more and understand that your gauge is mainly dependent on length of run and speaker impedance. Since they're only 8ohm speakers and my longest runs are maybe 25-30 feet, am I good to go or should I step up to 14ga? I know these speakers would draw more power than my other ones and was surprised the article I read didn't address wattage. I also got a little confused by the fact that impedance is more continuously variable than constant. Understand the concept but need to read it more thoroughly to see how much it'll affect my wire choice.

Thanks for the help guys! Already feeling better about my choices.

All the previous option were very good


Personally for $160 more I would go with HSU 5.1 package and have all matching speaker, and be done with-it.
The HSU bookshelf and the center have a sensitivity of 92db.
Since the sub is power, the low hungry frequencies are taken care by the sub and your AVR only have drive the speakers from 80Hz and up.
Very easy to drive with most AVR.


Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live

Last edited by darthray; Today at 03:30 PM.
darthray is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old Today, 03:37 PM
Member
 
jaykay0222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta13 View Post
My uses are almost 100% movies. I'll also use it for tv and a little music but I'm really only concerned about movie sound. I like action movies (lots of gunshots and explosions) and I like my movies LOUD. The Energies actually sounded ok at moderate volume (especially considering the huge hole in its frequency response that I learned about later on here) but it just can't keep up with the size room I have.

Chris
I'm going to offer different opinion than other forum members

If you like action movies, I would suggest looking at Klipsch speakers. They are very good for that purpose with horn tweeters

Klipsch RF82ii and RC62 would an option to look at
jaykay0222 is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old Today, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay0222 View Post
I'm going to offer different opinion than other forum members

If you like action movies, I would suggest looking at Klipsch speakers. They are very good for that purpose with horn tweeters

Klipsch RF82ii and RC62 would an option to look at

The HSU that the OP is looking at, are also horn tweeters.


Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
darthray is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old Today, 03:49 PM
Senior Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta13 View Post
I'm active in enough forums (Jeeps, Harleys, knives) to know I should search the forum first, and I did, but the more I read the more lost I get haha.

I have a Sony STR-DN850 tuner and just got the Energy Take Classic 5.1 set. I'm sending the Energys back, not enough speaker for my needs. I need help selecting new speakers for hopefully under or around $1500. I'm getting conflicting information on where to spend the bulk of the money. I've seen recommendations for people in my budget to spend big on floor standing or good bookshelf speakers for the front stage, and then pick cheaper rear surrounds and a mid level sub. Then I read a recommendation to pick cheaper fronts (I think the ones mentioned were about $100 each) and spend big on two SVS PB-2000 subs at $800 each. $1600 on subs and $500 on speakers sounds like my car when I was in my 20s and that wasn't very well balanced lol. I have a friend that loves his DT Procinema 1000 and recommended that with the ProCenter 2000. I haven't been able to get together to hear it though. I'm worried that these would end up being a slightly better version of the Energys but at 4x the price, since I think they're still smallish satellite speakers in the front?

My uses are almost 100% movies. I'll also use it for tv and a little music but I'm really only concerned about movie sound. I like action movies (lots of gunshots and explosions) and I like my movies LOUD. The Energies actually sounded ok at moderate volume (especially considering the huge hole in its frequency response that I learned about later on here) but it just can't keep up with the size room I have.

About the room. I'm not sure if what's the most important is size of viewing area (distance from me to speakers) or actual room size where walls can bounce sound back. My ears will be about 12 feet from the tv and front speakers, and the surrounds will be a few feet away to the sides and back. The actual room size though is tricky. The living room is beside the kitchen and is separated by a countertop and hanging cupboards. Sound will bounce back some but there's a big gap right at speaker height where sound can go into the kitchen. There's also about 5 or 6 feet of space behind the tv before the next wall and another few feet behind the couch. So overall room size is about 20x12 if you don't count the kitchen, 20x20 if you do. Normal height ceilings.

As for preferences, I would prefer bookshelf speakers but might be able to get floor standing ones to work if the payoff is big. I'm thinking that price would be more of an issue than size though. I do love my deep bass and do have 2 sub outputs, so feel free to recommend a setup in my budget that includes one sub with the intention to get a matching sub several months down the road. I do need one sub now but want to spend enough on my speakers.

Thanks for any help! Sorry it was such a long read, I tried to cover the questions I could think of.

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
I would recommend the Outlaw x12 sub, about $650. 12 inch sub, plenty of output and with a second one down the road, you would be set. Goods ID subs from HSU, SVS, PSA, Rythmiks, Reaction Audio, etc
EMP has great speakers for the price, but sounds like the Holiday sale has them lacking till march. Ascend Acoustics might be able to get you at least a 5.1 for the remaining 850 (Cbm-170s?)- 6.5 inch driver, dome tweeter and 350/pr and matching center for around 300. Cheaper surrounds would be fine for now. Plenty of other options...
+1 on the Outlaw. I love it. If you happen to be local to me, I will sell you my Outlaw LFM-1 Plus for $400. It was purchased November 2014 so it's fairly new.

________________________________________ ____________
HTD Level 3 review: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...ew-2015-a.html
Receiver: Denon x4000
Speakers: HTD Level 3s (and matching wooden stands) - Pioneer FS52s (surrounds)
Subwoofer: Outlaw LFM-1 Plus ---- and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is online now  
post #11 of 15 Old Today, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Pasta13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maple Valley, WA
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay0222 View Post
I'm going to offer different opinion than other forum members

If you like action movies, I would suggest looking at Klipsch speakers. They are very good for that purpose with horn tweeters

Klipsch RF82ii and RC62 would an option to look at
That looked like an interesting setup for the beefier fronts, but it looks like just the front 2 sides and sub would put me at my budget and I'd still need the center and surrounds. The more I read about that Hsu setup the more I like it. I'll be honest I'm also drawn to the 600w RMS of that 15" Hsu sub, I likes my bass. I don't know if it really hits harder or deeper than the Outlaw, I know enough about car audio to know you can't really just look at the numbers across brands.
Pasta13 is online now  
post #12 of 15 Old Today, 05:02 PM
Senior Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta13 View Post
That looked like an interesting setup for the beefier fronts, but it looks like just the front 2 sides and sub would put me at my budget and I'd still need the center and surrounds. The more I read about that Hsu setup the more I like it. I'll be honest I'm also drawn to the 600w RMS of that 15" Hsu sub, I likes my bass. I don't know if it really hits harder or deeper than the Outlaw, I know enough about car audio to know you can't really just look at the numbers across brands.
I would put the HSU over the Outlaw. You're comparing a 12" vs a 15" driver. Also the HSU advertises more power but is a little more expensive. If you like your bass and have the budget, then by all means, purchase that sub! It's a well-known brand and you will be very happy.

________________________________________ ____________
HTD Level 3 review: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...ew-2015-a.html
Receiver: Denon x4000
Speakers: HTD Level 3s (and matching wooden stands) - Pioneer FS52s (surrounds)
Subwoofer: Outlaw LFM-1 Plus ---- and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is online now  
post #13 of 15 Old Today, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 2,175
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta13 View Post
$1600 on subs and $500 on speakers sounds like my car when I was in my 20s and that wasn't very well balanced lol.
Subwoofers and speakers pull different duties. While the front stage is the most important aspect in your surround system, the sub (the second most important component) carries the heavy weight, especially in your room volume. I have a front stage (left, right and center) that cost $338 and a sub that costs $1250, which is about the same ratio as you mentioned. Unbalanced? No. They work great together. There are excellent speakers that don't cost an arm and a leg. I wish I could say the same about subwoofers, but I can't.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
dsrussell is online now  
post #14 of 15 Old Today, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,390
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta13 View Post
Wow. I checked out the specs on that HSU setup and got all warm and fuzzy. That thing looks like a beast. I can get the Primus' rears for about $160 less on the total package (free shipping from amazon) so that's tempting. How much of a sacrifice would you say that would be over spending an extra $160 to do the matching 5.1 setup?
Honestly I don't think you will miss much using the Primus speakers with the Hsu front stage, which is why I recommended them. Would the Hsus be better, sure, but not by a whole lot because the surrounds just don't carry as much weight in the sound mix, and I think the difference would be slight, given the way the surround channels are typically used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta13 View Post
Two side questions... I've read that it's best to pick speakers you want and then select an amp that works with them. Is the amp I have a good match? Powerful enough to really get them going? The other question is I already have some 16ga Monster speaker cable. I've been reading more and understand that your gauge is mainly dependent on length of run and speaker impedance. Since they're only 8ohm speakers and my longest runs are maybe 25-30 feet, am I good to go or should I step up to 14ga? I know these speakers would draw more power than my other ones and was surprised the article I read didn't address wattage. I also got a little confused by the fact that impedance is more continuously variable than constant. Understand the concept but need to read it more thoroughly to see how much it'll affect my wire choice.

Thanks for the help guys! Already feeling better about my choices.
Regarding amps, the Hsus are an easy impedance load for amplifiers and should work well with any amp. No worries there. The only speakers that should have a matching amp is pretty much relegated for exotic configurations. With respect to speaker gauge over distance, here is a handy chart which I would go by:


By the way, the Hsu sub will eat the Outlaw sub for lunch!
shadyJ is online now  
post #15 of 15 Old Today, 08:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boden View Post
I would stick with matching speakers all around.

You have plenty of amp for those speakers.

For a 30ft run I would go with 12awg. Don't buy brand name cable. The Low Voltage cable that they sell at home improvement stores will work as well as any cable on the planet. http://www.lowes.com/Lighting-Ceilin.../N-1z0vgbb/pl#!


I put a HSU system in my sisters house and it is really good. (I live in DIY land so my frame of reference is a bit above average )

Are you using that wire for speaker wires ?
triplejs15 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off