Head hurts trying to pick new 5.1 setup. Need advice and recommendations.
I need help choosing a 5.1 system for my lounge. This is my situation:
- budget £400 to £1200
- lounge is 3.8 m wide by 5m long, so average size and reasonably square
- the couch is at the back of room just away from the wall, tv is front and centre
- I don't play games, this is for tv, films and music
- tv, films and music are played from a dreambox media centre (DM800SE)
- I don't have an AV receiver (not sure if I definitely need one or if a decoder might suffice)
- I have a bungalow with cable routing channels routed behind the wall so I can send wires up to the attic out of sight, and then drop them down from the ceiling
- Floor is tiled so cannot go under floor boards or hide cables around skirting boards or carpet
If possible I'd like to find a 5 satellite speaker setup with speakers dropping down from the ceiling, one in each of the top corners of the room (plus centre front) angled down towards the couch. My concerns are:
a) what satellite speakers, if any, will be appropriate for my room size;
b) if it is okay to place them in the top corners of the room, angled down;
c) whether I need an AV receiver bearing in mind I only have 1 input from dreambox via optical out
I have been using my dad's BOSE single unit system (one with an ipod dock) which actually sounds great, but now I need to get my own and I'd really like 5.1 surround sound. I've recently tried out a Sonos Playbar but I didn't like it, it's gone back.
Any advice muchly appreciated.