AVS Forum banner

$1000 budget for a 2.1 System

3K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  darthray 
#1 ·
Hello Guys,

I am very new to this audio world. I recently purchased a new house, looking to buy a decent sound system to watch movie and stream music. I recently got a Yamaha RX-V377 receiver as a gift. I understand it's a beginner receiver, i would like to make the best out of it and see if it will be capable for the following speakers I am interested in:

My original plan was to get this:

Klpshc RF-42II 5.1 Home theater with SW310 Sub from Acoustic sound design web store

2 RF-42II Towers
1 RC-42II Center Speaker
2 Klipsch RS-41II Surround Speakers
1 SW-310 Subwoofer

But now I am not sure if i really need the 5.1 . i think I might be okay to start with a bigger speakers (Klipsch RF-52II Reference Series Speakers with the Klipsch Sub-12HG ) and add more speakers in the future.

What do you guys suggest? I am really trying to stay around $1000 budget and use the RX0v377 receiver. But worse case I can always sell the receiver and get a better one if you guys suggest.

I am really new to the audio world, I purchased the Samsung 5.1 Home theater system and was not happy with it. Sold it a month after and now looking to get a better quality sound system for my home.

Please advise, Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Post a few pictures of your room, that will give us better idea to whether you should start with floorstanding speakers (tower) or bookshelf speakers + subwoofer..

#4 ·
Thank you! I will post some pictures when i get home tonight

I would go with a pair of bookshelf speakers and a sub to start with. After that, add a center speaker. After that, add another sub. And after sub #2 , get your surround speakers. If you like the Klipsch sound, I would get a pair of RB-61 speakers. I would not get Klipsch subs though. I would go for a Hsu VTF2 mk4 or a Rythmik LV12r at the very least.
Mainly looking to get a floorstanding speakers for start off, Is there reason why ou suggest a book shelft speakers instead of floorstanding speakers? Also the reason why i picked the Klipsch subs is because it's on sale right now on amazon for $199 free shipping.

#7 ·
With all those flat, hard surfaces, your room is bound to be acoustically 'bright' or reflective. If I were you I would try to get speakers with as good off-axis response as possible. I might suggest some KEF speakers from their Q or better series, which has a very uniform response on and off axis.

#8 ·
If you have to cap it at $1,000 and are going 2.1 initially, I'd take advantage of SVS's 45 day in-home trial and order a pair of Prime bookshelf speakers and either a SB-1000(sealed 12") or PB-1000(Ported 10") subwoofer. Shipping is free including return shipping if you decide not to keep them. Just add the cost of a pair of stands.

#10 ·
Unless you can move the sub around to other parts of the room, wherever it best fits, then you're quite limited in space next to the stand for sub+floorstands or bookshelves/stands. Prime candidate for dual subs with bookshelves on top! :)

Another route is to pick up some front ported OR sealed bookshelves that you can wall mount

Can you move the sub around or not?

#12 ·
Just pull the trigger and picked up a pair of the RF-62 Today. Will my AVR Yamaha rx-v377 be able to give enough power to those speakers? Also what else do i need to purchase in order to connect all the speakers to the receiver to the TV? Thank you for the help everyone!

#14 ·
Based on the photo and your description, it looks like your speakers and receiver will be right beside and under the on wall TV...

Speaker wire... All you need is a 25'-50' roll of 14-16 gauge, plain copper wire. You can find it at your local Best Buy for about $15-$20. A set banana plugs, for each end of the speaker wire, will make it easier to plug into the receiver and speakers, but aren't needed.

The Yamaha has HDMI connections, so you need one cable to go from the Yamaha to the TV. And then, depending on whether you have a cable/satellite TV box, Blu-Ray player, etc... an HDMI cable to go from each source to the Yamaha AVR.

Again, you can find HDMI cables, of various lengths, at your local Best Buy. Don't let them talk you into any high dollar cables... just get the length you need.

You can also get the plain copper speaker wire and HDMI cables online at Parts Express or Monoprice. Wherever you decide to shop, it shouldn't cost you more than $40 to hook it all up.

Here are a couple of links for reference...

http://www.parts-express.com/wired-home-skrl-14-50-14-awg-ofc-speaker-wire-50-ft--100-020

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

#15 ·
I would avoid HDMI cables at a local store, they are all overpriced. I would go on Amazon and buy some Monoprice HDMI cables, they are about $5 each and the build quality is better than the cheap ones at Best Buy.

#20 ·
+1

I've used the Amazon Basics HDMI cables (and other of their cables) for around the same price. They work well, too.

#16 ·
You will probably want a rug to go between your speaker position and the seating, so as to reduce floor reflections (especially with a very dynanic horn tweeter, like the Klipsch have). Hardwood floors look great, but they reflect audio...

#19 ·
Using the ARC ports for your hdmi connection is just part of it, now you have to go into both the tv and the receiver and turn on the hdmi controls that permit its use. (each brand has sub-branded the names of their hdmi-cec controls but usually found easily enough in the manuals for each your tv and receiver to see what needs to enable ARC). Did you buy high speed HDMI cable?

#18 ·
You need to hookup your TV or cable box to an INPUT on the AVR(Audio OUT from TV/Cable box to INPUT of AVR- a coax-usually orange, or an optical cable).
I used an Optical cable out of my cable box to my AVR

You could use HDMI OUT from cable box to HDMI IN of AVR, then HDMI OUT of AVR to HDMI IN on TV as well(some AVRS have BYPASS).
Optical out was the easiest for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.