Need Bookshelf/Center Speaker Recommendation - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Alan P
  • 1 Post By smcmillan2
  • 1 Post By mbroadus
post #1 of 21 Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Need Bookshelf/Center Speaker Recommendation

Received my new SVS PC-2000 sub last Saturday and currently looking to upgrade my fronts and center and leaning toward the SVS Prime Bookshelf speakers in piano black. I need bookshelf speakers since I do not have the space for floor standers and my budget is $1K. Before pulling the trigger on the SVS Prime Bookshelf speakers in curious if there's any others that I should consider? They will need to pass the wife acceptance factor (WAF) and blend well with the SVS sub. 75% movies, 15% games and 10% music.

Last edited by mbroadus; Yesterday at 09:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
I need bookshelf speakers since I have a capable subwoofer
Fixed that for ya.
mbroadus likes this.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC64ii, SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4, SUB: PSA T-18 x 2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #3 of 21 Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Fixed that for ya.
I see what you did there!!
post #4 of 21 Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Have you looked at the EMP Tek/RBH bookshelves? http://emptek.com/r5bi.php

Apparently out of stock until end of Feb/early March, but if you can wait they are worth an audition IMHO (just got my pair early Dec).
post #5 of 21 Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Have you looked at the EMP Tek/RBH bookshelves? http://emptek.com/r5bi.php

Apparently out of stock until end of Feb/early March, but if you can wait they are worth an audition IMHO (just got my pair early Dec).
Thanks...I've seen them come up a couple times and made a mental note to give these a try. I sure wish they were in stock so I could try them with my sub, which is still within the 45 day home trial period.
post #6 of 21 Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Thanks...I've seen them come up a couple times and made a mental note to give these a try. I sure wish they were in stock so I could try them with my sub, which is still within the 45 day home trial period.
It's not a matter of "matching" your LCR to a sub, they should sound the same with any capable sub in a properly setup room.

In fact, when auditioning LCR I wouldn't recommend a sub in the mix for awhile initially - You want to hear the what the speakers themselves provide.

You can email/call EMP Tek and see if they have any upcoming b-stock available. I don't know if b-stock is covered under the same 30 day return policy though.
dsrussell likes this.
post #7 of 21 Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have the Prime Towers and really like their sound. I see no reason not to give the Prime Bookshelves a spin. However, if WAF is a factor, how the heck did you slip the PC-2000 past her?

Theory is a great place, everything works in theory.

Receiver: Denon AVR X3000
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-N460/LaserDisc: Pioneer Elite CLD-59
Satellite: Dish Hopper w/Sling
Speakers: SVS Prime Tower/SVS Prime Center/SVS Prime Surround/Velodyne HGS-15
post #8 of 21 Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
It's not a matter of "matching" your LCR to a sub, they should sound the same with any capable sub in a properly setup room.

In fact, when auditioning LCR I wouldn't recommend a sub in the mix for awhile initially - You want to hear the what the speakers themselves provide.

You can email/call EMP Tek and see if they have any upcoming b-stock available. I don't know if b-stock is covered under the same 30 day return policy though.
I didn't realize that...good point! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sully View Post
I have the Prime Towers and really like their sound. I see no reason not to give the Prime Bookshelves a spin. However, if WAF is a factor, how the heck did you slip the PC-2000 past her?
What you trying to say John?? I didn't tell her...the PC-2000 just showed up at the door one day!! I showed her pics and she never commented on them so I guess she like the round shape better than the rectangle. She was complaining last night when I told her that I bought black lacquer speaker stands.
post #9 of 21 Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 270
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ml?&r=54ca488a
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...peakers/1.html
I don't recommend anything specific since tastes can vary, just noting that this site has very good prices.
post #10 of 21 Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Good prices on Focal

Focal 706V
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ack-ash/1.html

CC700 Center

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #11 of 21 Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ml?&r=54ca488a
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...peakers/1.html
I don't recommend anything specific since tastes can vary, just noting that this site has very good prices.
Thanks kid!
post #12 of 21 Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Thanks...those are good prices but I never heard of Focal. Will have to research.
post #13 of 21 Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 487
I would say just get a good pair of bookshelves right now, and then add the center at a later date. Speakers that image well will create a good phantom center effect, and I think you can get a nicer speaker to start with. $1000 gives you a ton of good options, notably the SVS Ultra bookshelves. You also have the Philharmonitors, Ascend Sierra-1 (RAAL is worth it), and Monitor Audio Silver 1, to name a few.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #14 of 21 Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks...those are good prices but I never heard of Focal. Will have to research.
I know them from adventures of mine in car audio. They are great speakers and at that price well worth a look.

post #15 of 21 Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
http://www.focal.com/en/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPbEDXd7N-A#t=31

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

Last edited by zieglj01; Yesterday at 11:58 AM.
post #16 of 21 Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the video, you've definitely peaked my interest!
zieglj01 likes this.
post #17 of 21 Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 623
I fully agree with smcmillan. When testing any speaker, test them by themselves and not with a subwoofer. You need to know how these speakers perform by themselves and find out their strengths and weaknesses. I took two weeks before adding in my subwoofer. A subwoofer cures a lot of ills .

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #18 of 21 Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
KEF Q300 with matching center or HTD Level 3 are few options which may have WAF
post #19 of 21 Unread Today, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
**~~ need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01
Good prices on Focal

Focal 706V

CC700 Center

MBROADUS: I think it's rude to take over someone's thread. But it looks like this one was winding down and you got your questions answered. Maybe some other people will have more ideas for you.

I'm posting here because I spent hours on this site and this thread has a couple people that I think can help.

I just got Denon AVR x-3000. Currently my surround speakers was a Yamaha box set for 5.1. It cost like $500 at Best Buy. So I'm pretty sure it's not that great.

I want to get new speakers to go with my new Denon, that will do some justice. It's primary use is TV, Movies (I have 4K tv), and PS4 games.

I have about $3,000 (ideally $2,000) I'd like to spend on the speakers. I want it to be AMAZING for movies and games. With awesome effects from bass and sound.

So this post I quoted shows some surrounds and a center at accessories4less. Do you think these would sound really good?

JOHNSULLY, I noticed that you show what you have for surround system. I did some research and I'm thinking of getting those SVS prime speakers you show. Will those really rock? If so , I might just get your set up since you have the same receiver. Can you recommend a real good Subwoofer though? I don't care how ugly it is. I just want best value, it can be ugly as hell.

And I'm confused because it sounds like you don't need 'Tower' speakers if you have a great subwoofer?

So here's my questions above in a more logical manner:

1. If I get a bad ass subwoofer, do I need tower speakers in front? I don't mind towers at all but don't want to get if I just don't need.

2. Any recommendation on a bad ass subwoofer for $800 or less?

3. For surround speakers do I need Bi-way? Or 'omnidirectional' Would the SVS Prime Bookshelves be the way to go?

4. If so, should I just get SVS Prime Bookshelves for all four speakers? Or should I get some Towers in front and Bookshelves in back?

5. Do you think the speakers I linked at accessories 4 less really rock? (If so I might get those in place of the SVS Prime)

(My listening area is average size family home, we have to have our seating with backs to a wall, so I can't really have 7.1) Thanks !!
post #20 of 21 Unread Today, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01
Good prices on Focal

Focal 706V

CC700 Center

MBROADUS: I think it's rude to take over someone's thread. But it looks like this one was winding down and you got your questions answered. Maybe some other people will have more ideas for you.

I'm posting here because I spent hours on this site and this thread has a couple people that I think can help.

I just got Denon AVR x-3000. Currently my surround speakers was a Yamaha box set for 5.1. It cost like $500 at Best Buy. So I'm pretty sure it's not that great.

I want to get new speakers to go with my new Denon, that will do some justice. It's primary use is TV, Movies (I have 4K tv), and PS4 games.

I have about $3,000 (ideally $2,000) I'd like to spend on the speakers. I want it to be AMAZING for movies and games. With awesome effects from bass and sound.

So this post I quoted shows some surrounds and a center at accessories4less. Do you think these would sound really good?

JOHNSULLY, I noticed that you show what you have for surround system. I did some research and I'm thinking of getting those SVS prime speakers you show. Will those really rock? If so , I might just get your set up since you have the same receiver. Can you recommend a real good Subwoofer though? I don't care how ugly it is. I just want best value, it can be ugly as hell.

And I'm confused because it sounds like you don't need 'Tower' speakers if you have a great subwoofer?

So here's my questions above in a more logical manner:

1. If I get a bad ass subwoofer, do I need tower speakers in front? I don't mind towers at all but don't want to get if I just don't need.

2. Any recommendation on a bad ass subwoofer for $800 or less?

3. For surround speakers do I need Bi-way? Or 'omnidirectional' Would the SVS Prime Bookshelves be the way to go?

4. If so, should I just get SVS Prime Bookshelves for all four speakers? Or should I get some Towers in front and Bookshelves in back?

5. Do you think the speakers I linked at accessories 4 less really rock? (If so I might get those in place of the SVS Prime)

(My listening area is average size family home, we have to have our seating with backs to a wall, so I can't really have 7.1) Thanks !!
I've only had the speakers a few days, but yes, they rock and so far seem to work fine with my receiver. Just make sure it is in a well ventilated spot.

I got towers because I wanted something that would be a little more dynamic than my old bookshelves (Boston CR-9, old is like 20 years) and I wanted a different look. The Prime Bookshelves would probably have done as well for half the price at the cost of a little bit of ultimate output. Even with towers you still need a sub since they only go down to about 35Hz or so and there is a lot of content which has deeper bass than that, particularly modern popular music and movies. You will need a sub no matter what.

For surrounds I got the Prime Surround. This little speaker is really quite amazing, with a voicing which is very, very similar to the LCR. This results in a really nice coherent sound field for surround music. I would certainly buy the surrounds again (I may well do that for 7.1) for this duty. Given your preferred budget I would get the Bookshelves/Center/Surrounds for about $1K and then spend the balance on a good sub (or two). Lots of subs in the price range, people typically recommend SVS, Hsu, Rythmik, Power Sound Audio. Any of those will give you plenty of slam and two will do better!

post #21 of 21 Unread Today, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No worries DaveyMac, ask away!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk