Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 2 Unread Today, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
B&W CM7: Mean but too lean?

Dear all,

my name is Daniele and I am new to the forum, so first of all: hi y'all.

I need some help/expertise as I have a problem with my 2ch system:

Amp: Creek Evo (British, 85W x 2 into 8Ohms)
Source: Stream Magic 6 with lossless or 24bit/96khz / Creek Evo Cd Player
Speakers: b&w cm7
Speaker cables: QED XT Signature
I listen to: Classical, Jazz, Vocals, some good ol' Pink Floyd/Eagles/Fleetwood Mac
Positioning: 10ft apart, living room, 2 feet away from the walls, wall of windows behind the speakers.

Here is the issue: the bass is just too lean. The presentation is great, the sound is extremely (perhaps even too much) detailed, the treble is great, every instrument is clearly separated, and the amp is fast fast fast, really gets your foot tapping.

But the bass is very lean. Don't get me wrong, I do not like boomy sound (in my HT room the sub is almost at minimum) and I remember really disliking the audition of some B&W 683 where the bass was in my view boomy and totally out of control.

I need your expertise to direct me on how to improve on this. Here are some options I thought of or been suggested by dealers

1) Get a power amp (200W, like a Rotel 1582 or an Emotiva XPA2) to really drive the speakers.
Not so sure that will solve it, as my Creek plays really loud at only 20 out 85, and it never gets warm, let alone hot. Stays cool to the touch throughout.

2) Get a subwoofer
Just got a REL T3 from a seller on ebay at a very good price, next week will be trying it out

3) change speakers
Auditioned the CM9s and CM10s, they sounded better than my CM7 (obviously),but still lean and hard. , definitely not worth the upgrade. Then auditioned the 804D...now that was what I was talking about: warm, rich and yet controlled and detailed. But they are way too expensive.
Also, at that point I suspect I need a new amp as well and cost will spiral up.

Any other thoughts or suggestions on the 3 points above?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Unread Today, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 704
I would suggest purchasing a subwoofer, preferably one with a high-pass filter like the SVS SB2000. The CM7s are "lean" compared to the speakers you mentioned but would sound great crossed over at 80 Hz.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page