Help me find the best ht solution - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2015, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Help me find the best ht solution

Hello. I have no idea about ht. Recently I have joined avs for your guide in buying a 5.1 ht.
I have a small room, and I bought a 4k tv (lg 49ub850t). Now I want great sound experience along with it. Recommend me a sound system keeping in mind that my room size is very small i.e. 6*14 feet approximately.
Room will become clumsy if I will place floor-standing speakers but if it produce better quality sound than others, then I may deal with it. I am only concerned about sound quality in movies and music.

Actually I am 22 years guy and I can't walk well, you can say partly paralyzed after a surgery. So, I can't visit the stores and audition different speakers. One of my friend suggested Bose Cinemate 520. And here are the following speakers suggestion from a store which they mailed me of-course:
1. KEF : E 305 or T 105
2.
Pioneer AJ-5235XT 5.1 Andrew Jones Speakers
3. Polk TSX 330 package (5.1)

I don't want to go with uncommon products, I want to buy the best and popular ones. Please suggest me the best speakers and av receiver that I can get for the bucks or should I simply buy BOSE instead?
aludum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-02-2015, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,340
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 614
What is your budget? And do you need a receiver as well?

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
Old 03-02-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 9,866
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by aludum View Post
Hello. I have no idea about ht. Recently I have joined avs for your guide in buying a 5.1 ht.
I have a small room, and I bought a 4k tv (lg 49ub850t). Now I want great sound experience along with it. Recommend me a sound system keeping in mind that my room size is very small i.e. 6*14 feet approximately.
Room will become clumsy if I will place floor-standing speakers but if it produce better quality sound than others, then I may deal with it. I am only concerned about sound quality in movies and music.

Actually I am 22 years guy and I can't walk well, you can say partly paralyzed after a surgery. So, I can't visit the stores and audition different speakers. One of my friend suggested Bose Cinemate 520. And here are the following speakers suggestion from a store which they mailed me of-course:
1. KEF : E 305 or T 105
2.
Pioneer AJ-5235XT 5.1 Andrew Jones Speakers
3. Polk TSX 330 package (5.1)

I don't want to go with uncommon products, I want to buy the best and popular ones. Please suggest me the best speakers and av receiver that I can get for the bucks or should I simply buy BOSE instead?
Would be happy to help you with advice and purchase. Have several questions that need to be answered before knowing what speakers would be best for you. Please call us or email to discuss.
aludum likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
Old 03-02-2015, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,825
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Is your 14ft x 6ft room closed off to other rooms? What is your ceiling height?

You might want consider book shelf speakers instead of floorstanders as they are easier to move and when properly integrated with a subwoofer they sound as if you have towers
crazyrob425 is offline  
Old 03-02-2015, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
What is your budget? And do you need a receiver as well?
thankx for the quick reply. i am on low budget that is around $1000 and yes, i do need a receiver.
aludum is offline  
Old 03-02-2015, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
Is your 14ft x 6ft room closed off to other rooms? What is your ceiling height?

You might want consider book shelf speakers instead of floorstanders as they are easier to move and when properly integrated with a subwoofer they sound as if you have towers
actually it is 12*14 ft room. i have a 6*7bed and the remaining 14*6 ft area is left for ht setup. the ceiling height is approx 12-13ft.
aludum is offline  
Old 03-02-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,442
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Nht SuperOne 2.1 speakers - 3 each across the front
Scroll down to second picture
http://www.nhthifi.com/

Boston 4.5 Soundware for the surrounds - sold each
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...er-each/1.html

JBL Studio 550P subwoofer
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-SUB-550P-S...tudio+550p+sub

Denon E300
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html
Transmaniacon and aludum like this.

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
Old 03-02-2015, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Would be happy to help you with advice and purchase. Have several questions that need to be answered before knowing what speakers would be best for you. Please call us or email to discuss.
Thanks for your reply, I have sent you an email.
aludum is offline  
Old 03-02-2015, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Nht SuperOne 2.1 speakers - 3 each across the front
Scroll down to second picture


Boston 4.5 Soundware for the surrounds - sold each


JBL Studio 550P subwoofer


Denon E300
Thanx for your suggestion, but I heard that we should choose speakers from same brand. Is it correct? And the receiver doesn't have 4k pass through.
aludum is offline  
Old 03-02-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,340
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by aludum View Post
thankx for the quick reply. i am on low budget that is around $1000 and yes, i do need a receiver.
Denon AVR-X1100: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html

This is a really good buy at $250 and comes with a good version of Audyssey, and has HDMI 2.0 for 4K. I would not spend more than this.

For a sub, I would go with the SVS PB-1000, in your room it will have great output and get your sub-20Hz extension. For movies you need this, and this will help with the theater experience.

Take the last bit and go with a 3.1 for the time being, you can add a cheap pair of surrounds later on, but the front sound stage is more important. I would go with the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers, the BS22 bookshelves and C22 center would be a good choice, and it leaves you enough to grab a pair of 24" Sanus speaker stands.

Use www.monoprice.com for cables and speaker wire, 16awg wire is what I would recommend.
Greenwood Ave and aludum like this.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
Old 03-02-2015, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,442
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by aludum View Post
Thanx for your suggestion, but I heard that we should choose speakers from same brand. Is it correct? And the receiver doesn't have 4k pass through.
The key is for the front 3 speakers to match - not a big deal for the surrounds.

Also, the sub does not need to match

Look at this Denon receiver - for 4K
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
Old 03-02-2015, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,340
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Look at this Denon receiver - for 4K
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html
The X1100 is a better receiver and is cheaper at the current sale.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
Old 03-02-2015, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,442
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
The X1100 is a better receiver and is cheaper at the current sale.
That would be a nice option

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
Old 03-03-2015, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Denon AVR-X1100

This is a really good buy at $250 and comes with a good version of Audyssey, and has HDMI 2.0 for 4K. I would not spend more than this.

For a sub, I would go with the SVS PB-1000, in your room it will have great output and get your sub-20Hz extension. For movies you need this, and this will help with the theater experience.

Take the last bit and go with a 3.1 for the time being, you can add a cheap pair of surrounds later on, but the front sound stage is more important. I would go with the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers, the BS22 bookshelves and C22 center would be a good choice, and it leaves you enough to grab a pair of 24" Sanus speaker stands.
.
Thank you for your suggestions, will these combinations produce better sound than BOSE? How good is this yamaha receiver model no.RX-V477

Last edited by aludum; 03-03-2015 at 01:53 AM.
aludum is offline  
Old 03-03-2015, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,340
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by aludum View Post
Thank you for your suggestions, will these combinations produce better sound than BOSE? How good is this yamaha receiver model no.RX-V477
Yes this will be much better than anything Bose makes. That Yamaha is fine, but I prefer Denon for it's Audyssey room calibration.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
Old 03-03-2015, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,825
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by aludum View Post
Thank you for your suggestions, will these combinations produce better sound than BOSE? How good is this yamaha receiver model no.RX-V477
Yes the pioneers with an SVS PB-1000 are a million times better than anything you can get from Bose.

Personally I am not a fan of Yamaha receivers, Denon gets my nod of approval.
aludum likes this.
crazyrob425 is offline  
Old 03-03-2015, 07:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Given the tight budget, you can knock $10 off that sub by setting up an account with woot.com. Within a few days of doing that, they will email you a $10 off your first purchase code (unfortunately, I didn't discover that until I'd already made the first purchase!). Not a huge dollar amount, but doesn't hurt!
zieglj01 likes this.
HofW is offline  
Old 03-03-2015, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,442
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by aludum View Post
Thank you for your suggestions, will these combinations produce better sound than BOSE?
Yes, better - and I am a former Bose owner and listener

For surround power - Denon is a good option

Yamaha really starts to shine, from the 10xx model up
aludum likes this.

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
Old 03-03-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,442
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by HofW View Post
Given the tight budget, you can knock $10 off that sub by setting up an account with woot.com. Within a few days of doing that, they will email you a $10 off your first purchase code (unfortunately, I didn't discover that until I'd already made the first purchase!). Not a huge dollar amount, but doesn't hurt!
However, there are only 6 left.

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
Old 03-03-2015, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Take the last bit and go with a 3.1 for the time being, you can add a cheap pair of surrounds later on, but the front sound stage is more important. I would go with the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers, the BS22 bookshelves and C22 center would be a good choice, and it leaves you enough to grab a pair of 24" Sanus speaker stands. .
A store is selling 5.1 AJ speaker package comprising: Floor Standing Speakers SP-FS 52, Book Shelf Speakers SP-BS22, Center Channel Speaker SP-C22, Sub Woofer S-51W

What do you suggest? Are these better than the polk ones, say tsx440t or tsx330t. Or should I consider the pioneer bookshelves and center for mains because of the room size. What is the difference between tower & bookshelf speakers?

Also I have no idea about the pioneer sub s-51w. However, I could not find the SVS sub at my location.
please suggest me other subs.
aludum is offline  
Old 03-04-2015, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,340
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 614
The Pioneer speakers are good, the sub is not. I like them better than those entry level Polk speakers, and if you get a good sub like the PB-1000, then you can go with bookshelves and have very comparable sound.

The SVS sub is online-only, but they have a 45 day free trial with free shipping both ways.
aludum likes this.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
Old 03-04-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,825
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Polk and the Pioneers are on the same level in my opinion. So pick what sounds best to you.

I suggest the SVS PB-1000 as a subwoofer ignore the pioneer subwoofer.
aludum likes this.
crazyrob425 is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Nht SuperOne 2.1 speakers - 3 each across the front
Scroll down to second picture


Boston 4.5 Soundware for the surrounds - sold each

JBL Studio 550P subwoofer
Denon E300
Please compare these for me:
1. JBL Studio 550P subwoofer vs SVS PB-1000 subwoofer
2. Nht SuperOne vs Pioneer AJ speakers
aludum is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,825
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by aludum View Post
Please compare these for me:
1. JBL Studio 550P subwoofer vs SVS PB-1000 subwoofer
2. Nht SuperOne vs Pioneer AJ speakers
1. = SVS PB-1000 no competition between the two. In terms of subwoofer performance, bass output, factory warranty and customer service, etc. (I say this because you are comparing a sealed subwoofer to a ported subwoofer and by judging the spec's of the JBL)

2. Can't really comment here as I only heard the Pioneer AJ speakers and I was not fan. NHT's are pretty well received here and recommended by a bunch of memebers

Last edited by crazyrob425; 03-05-2015 at 08:59 AM.
crazyrob425 is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
2. Can't really comment here as I only heard the Pioneer AJ speakers and I was not fan. NHT's are pretty well received here and recommended by a bunch of memebers
Then what is your suggestion for the main?
aludum is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,825
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by aludum View Post
Then what is your suggestion for the main?
Out of the two you were deciding I would get the NHT, but that is simply because I am personally not a fan of the the Pioneers. Your ears may really like them, so if you have a Best Buy near you give them a listen, they might even have the Polk TSx's there.

The Pioneers are amazing speakers for their price, they are the go to budget entry great system. Periously when I started it was Polk Monitor's but times have changed and Pioneers offer a better value per sound.

Another great suggestion I need to give is the Infinity P163's Bookshelf speakers, with an Infinity PC351 Center.
crazyrob425 is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,442
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by aludum View Post
Please compare these for me:
1. JBL Studio 550P subwoofer vs SVS PB-1000 subwoofer
2. Nht SuperOne vs Pioneer AJ speakers
NHT is a good speaker - and is in another class over the Pioneer
and Infinty Primus - keep NHT on a short list.

While SVS is a better subwoofer, it will not eat the JBL for lunch.
However, the SVS will play louder and go lower - if you have the
funds then go with SVS - and they do have good customer service.

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
Old 03-05-2015, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
The X1100 is a better receiver and is cheaper at the current sale.
Which one is better? Onkyo TX-NR636 or Denon avr-x1100
aludum is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GIEGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,306
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by aludum View Post
Which one is better? Onkyo TX-NR636 or Denon avr-x1100
The Denon hands down, for its Audyssey MultEQ XT setup and auto EQ. This years Onkyos only have a very basic speaker setup routine.

Here's a comparo: Denon AVR-X1100W vs Onkyo TX-NR636.
Transmaniacon likes this.
GIEGAR is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
The Denon hands down, for its Audyssey MultEQ XT setup and auto EQ. This years Onkyos only have a very basic speaker setup routine.

Here's a comparo: Denon AVR-X1100W vs Onkyo TX-NR636.
But onkyo has hdcp2.2, dolby atmos, high res audio.
What is your opinion on that?
aludum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
av receiver , home audio , home cinema , speaker , speaker advice
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off