Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers. - Page 188 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2897Likes

post #5611 of 7411 Old 10-20-2016, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quick question about the 4722s - I'm thinking of upgrading my screen to a 130" wide 2.40:1 AT screen - I'm planning masking that'll reduce the width to 98" when I'm watching 16x9.. These speakers are 30" wide - meaning, to set them across the 98" wide screen - there'd only be 4" between them.. Also, They'd be sitting 30" off the ground. I'm a little concerned that they'll be way too tall/high above the listening position in the front row (about 10' back from the screen/speakers). I know the horn can be directed down some.. But, I'm wondering if my room would be a poor application for these speakers..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5612 of 7411 Old 10-20-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 2577
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudexxi View Post
Quick question about the 4722s - I'm thinking of upgrading my screen to a 130" wide 2.40:1 AT screen - I'm planning masking that'll reduce the width to 98" when I'm watching 16x9.. These speakers are 30" wide - meaning, to set them across the 98" wide screen - there'd only be 4" between them.. Also, They'd be sitting 30" off the ground. I'm a little concerned that they'll be way too tall/high above the listening position in the front row (about 10' back from the screen/speakers). I know the horn can be directed down some.. But, I'm wondering if my room would be a poor application for these speakers..
Likely too high. I'd also spread them wider than that if possible.
post #5613 of 7411 Old 10-20-2016, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #5614 of 7411 Old 10-20-2016, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked: 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudexxi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
Likely too high. I'd also spread them wider than that if possible.
I would agree. I tried my 4722s on top of my JTR S2 subs (subs laying horizontal..which is only about 21 inches off the ground) when I first bought them and even with the waveguide pointed down it didn't sound "right". Sounded much better when I moved them to floor level.

From a spacing standpoint I have mine about 10 inches apart and they sound very good to my ear.
post #5615 of 7411 Old 10-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Which used to have the 2452H-SL a few years ago. I believe the 2452H-SL's are being phased out. I have heard unsubstantiated rumors they are not manufacturing them.

So....are they making something better we can drop in?!? If so, I will wait on that!!! I love my 4722's and am very intrigued by the 52 upgrade but if there is something better in the works then I will wait. I have been saving for the 52 upgrade, but maybe I need to wait it out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5616 of 7411 Old 10-21-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybe View Post
So....are they making something better we can drop in?!? If so, I will wait on that!!! I love my 4722's and am very intrigued by the 52 upgrade but if there is something better in the works then I will wait. I have been saving for the 52 upgrade, but maybe I need to wait it out?

Looks like the 2453H-SL's are a great drop in option. @notnyt has great data for many combinations. The beryllium 2452 would be really sweet, but lots of $$$$.

I am kind of glad the D2 driver from the M2's didn't work well with this horn, it's price has skyrocketed back up to $1999 last I checked a week or so ago. Few months ago it was around $400. JBL must have decided to many were going to DIYers.

Last edited by NWCgrad; 10-21-2016 at 08:25 PM.
post #5617 of 7411 Old 10-21-2016, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Looks like the 2453H-SL's are a great drop in option. @notnyt has great data for many combinations. The beryllium 2452 would be really sweet, but lots of $$$$.

Yeah...I have been following all the data from the get go. Just wondering if there will be something better in the future....oh wait I guess I just answered my own question....there is ALWAYS something better in the future....or not....

post #5618 of 7411 Old 10-21-2016, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
I thought you had, all the newer drivers are for M2 derived waveguides. I would assume this would indicate that at some point the Cinema series will be updated. That is not necessarily a good thing.

I am looking at the older 2447's. They made a tone of them and they are readily available on ebay. I would prefer ones with trashed diaphragms as I would want to replace with Be anyway.

post #5619 of 7411 Old 10-21-2016, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers.

Definitely an interesting concept and probably will yield some stellar results, but it will be interesting to see what is coming and what everyone is hyping about next! Just for money sake, I think I am going to hold with the stock CDs.

post #5620 of 7411 Old 10-21-2016, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I'll let you know how I like the upgraded cd's next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5621 of 7411 Old 10-22-2016, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Definitely an interesting concept and probably will yield some stellar results, but it will be interesting to see what is coming and what everyone is hyping about next! Just for money sake, I think I am going to hold with the stock CDs.

JBL pro does not play the release a new CD driver every 12 month game or new speaker every 12 month game. They have very spread out release cycles so if anything comes....it might literally be 5 to 10 years. These compression drivers we are discussing have been out for years and years. Just an FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by podboy View Post
I'll let you know how I like the upgraded cd's next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't wait to hear your feedback. I hope you love them.
NWCgrad likes this.
post #5622 of 7411 Old 10-23-2016, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I recently purchased a pair of JBL 2453H-SL cds today. Much thanks to Molon Labe for selling to me and installing them for me. I got home around 10pm tonight and I've been listening for over two and a half hours straight. I can say straight up that there is certainly a discernable difference between the stock cds and these drop in upgrade JBL 2453H-SL cds.

The stocks cds that come with the 4722n are very good in my opinion. However I do recall coming across a bit of harsh treble on a small number of songs over the last six months. No such issue with these cds.

The highs are noticeably more refined, smoother, and very soft on the ears. The stock cds are noticeably brighter with more piercing highs.

Treble is definitely more pronounced and defined with these new cds in my opinion. Not convinced I hear any major difference in the midrange. No big deal since the mids were very good with the stock cd.

Listening to Mariah Carey's "You should be mine" right now and the vocal clarity in her voice is astonishly clear with these new cds. Watched Tron Legacy for a half hour and right off the bat I felt the dialogue was noticeably sharper and clearer in my opinion.

Dialogue and vocals with music is definitely more immersive now. It seems like the singers are singing live within the room because the dialogue and vocals are so effortlessly clear and soft.

I've owned many speakers from Martin Logan, Klipsch, Bowers and Wilkins, Yorkville, etc and they are not touching what I am hearing right now.

I recently heard a pair of Klipsch Jubilees in Houston and the 4722n speakers with the upgraded 2453H-SL cds best them on highs while I would give the Jubes a very slight edge in the midrange dept.I definitely like the upgraded 4722n speakers better than the Jubilees overall which says alot because I was obsessed with purchasing a pair of Jubes at one time.

These speakers truly are something special and I feel very blessed to own a pair at such an affordable price. The performance they offer for the price is just mindblowing.

I'm as tickled as a pig in slop right now. Thanks again to Molon Labe for giving me a chance to own the new cds. I also want to say I was given a demo of Molon Labe's system and to say it was impressive is a massive understatement.

His Dolby Atmos setup is the real deal. Hearing the sound of rain panning from left to overhead to right and behind you was unreal.

His 4722n speakers put out a huge soundstage so his entire room was the sweet spot. Bass with his SI 24 subs was deep, thunderous, sharp, and articulate.

Definitely one of the most articulate systems from top to bottom that I've heard. His media room is well treated and just flat out cool looking. And his house is gorgeous. He is a very blessed man. No doubt about that.

I also want to say thank you for Notnyt for all of the research and data gathering you did when researching possible upgrades for this speaker. Your skillset and willingness to share your knowledge to help others is greatly appreciated.
Frohlich, Gooddoc, notnyt and 2 others like this.

Last edited by LumensLover; 10-24-2016 at 06:28 PM.
post #5623 of 7411 Old 10-23-2016, 11:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
I recently purchased a pair of JBL 2453 cds today. Much thanks to Molon Labe for selling to me and installing them for me. I got home around 10pm tonight and I've been listening for over two and a half hours straight. I can say straight up that there is certainly a discernable difference between the stock cds and these drop in upgrade JBL 2453 cds.
Thanks for posting your feedback!

Last edited by notnyt; 10-24-2016 at 01:26 AM.
post #5624 of 7411 Old 10-24-2016, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
I assume you mean the 2453h-sl right? The 2453h alone is a different and not as good CD. Also somewhere in there you mentioned 2352 as well lol. Thanks for posting your feedback
Corrected post. Thanks.
notnyt likes this.
post #5625 of 7411 Old 10-24-2016, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I recently purchased a pair of JBL 2453H-SL cds today. Much thanks to Molon Labe for selling to me and installing them for me. I got home around 10pm tonight and I've been listening for over two and a half hours straight. I can say straight up that there is certainly a discernable difference between the stock cds and these drop in upgrade JBL 2453H-SL cds.
Thanks for the review and thoughts.

Also, as you mentioned, a big thank you to notnyt for leading the charge here with his great documentation and thoughts earlier this year that got the train rolling for a lot of folks on upgrading the CD, including myself.

Also sounds like Molon Labe hooked you up. Always a true gentlemen.
notnyt and Molon_Labe like this.
post #5626 of 7411 Old 10-24-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4158 Post(s)
Liked: 3515
Quote:

As LumensLover just pointed out, the worthwhile substitute for the 52 is already readily available in the 53, the upgrade is certainly noticeable and has been confirmed by many forum members already, and for the price you can sell the stock CD's and stick the 53's in as a drop-in replacement, it is essentially a no-brainer upgrade for those that want to have the maximum amount of capability from their speakers.
notnyt and Molon_Labe like this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #5627 of 7411 Old 10-24-2016, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 3114 Post(s)
Liked: 2421
Quote:
I've owned many speakers from Martin Logan, Klipsch, Bowers and Wilkins, Yorkville, etc and they are not touching what I am hearing right now.

These speakers truly are something special and I feel very blessed to own a pair at such an affordable price. The performance they offer for the price is just mindblowing.
Congrats man! It's always great to read when someone's thrilled with their system.
post #5628 of 7411 Old 10-24-2016, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I changed the settings on my old ass onkyo 805 and the high frequency fatigue was almost completely gone. I'm just using the onkyo for now until flooring is down then I can see how they perform through a NAD M25 and marantz 8801. Listening to music is not nearly as fatiguing. Though, I still have the new CD's coming so hopefully its even better.
Frohlich likes this.
post #5629 of 7411 Old 10-24-2016, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 2438
@LumensLover - Thanks for the kind words, it was a pleasure meeting you. Since I have not been to any of the G2G meets, I have no comparrison how my theater sounds in comparrison to the other home systems. I only know what I know, which is obviously limited in a comparative sense. Getting positive feedback helps tremondously. I am glad you are enjoying the CDs, I knew you would like them. Knowing whom you work for, don't take it personal that I hope we never meet again unless it is at an AVS function

@podboy - Your CDs will ship tomorrow.

Don't worry folks, I am not ditching my setup. I just dropped down to the stock CD on my 4722 surrounds because I couldn't detect much, if any, discernible difference over the stock CD when the speaker is being used in surround duties, especially for movies. I am diverting those funds to my 80s/retro arcade machine sickness.

@beastaudio - Your loaner stock CDs are also shipping tomorrow.
gamest and podboy like this.

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 10-24-2016 at 04:56 PM.
post #5630 of 7411 Old 10-24-2016, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
I am diverting those funds to my 80s/retro arcade machine sickness.
Man, I would love a classic standup Defender/Stargate.
post #5631 of 7411 Old 10-25-2016, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4158 Post(s)
Liked: 3515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
@LumensLover - Thanks for the kind words, it was a pleasure meeting you. Since I have not been to any of the G2G meets, I have no comparrison how my theater sounds in comparrison to the other home systems. I only know what I know, which is obviously limited in a comparative sense. Getting positive feedback helps tremondously. I am glad you are enjoying the CDs, I knew you would like them. Knowing whom you work for, don't take it personal that I hope we never meet again unless it is at an AVS function

@podboy - Your CDs will ship tomorrow.

Don't worry folks, I am not ditching my setup. I just dropped down to the stock CD on my 4722 surrounds because I couldn't detect much, if any, discernible difference over the stock CD when the speaker is being used in surround duties, especially for movies. I am diverting those funds to my 80s/retro arcade machine sickness.

@beastaudio - Your loaner stock CDs are also shipping tomorrow.
SWEEEEET Will get measurements up ASAP and get them back your way after a listening session or two Thanks dood!

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #5632 of 7411 Old 10-25-2016, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 2438
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Man, I would love a classic standup Defender/Stargate.
Me too. I found a cocktail Defender but I just don't like sitting down when playing.
jjackkrash likes this.
post #5633 of 7411 Old 10-25-2016, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

At some point I'm building an emulator cab.. need to find time tho.
post #5634 of 7411 Old 10-25-2016, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can someone that has purchased the 4722N's PM where you purchased them?
post #5635 of 7411 Old 10-26-2016, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post
Can someone that has purchased the 4722N's PM where you purchased them?
In case you haven't received any PMs, here is a good contact:

John Bayer
National Sales / Account Manager
Full Compass Systems
9770 Silicon Prairie Pkwy.
Madison, WI 53593-8442
P: 800-356-5844 x1184
F: 608-831-6330
E: bayer@fullcompass.com
COACH2369 likes this.
post #5636 of 7411 Old 10-30-2016, 02:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Messing around with the 2453H-SL. A 1/2in spacer cleared up the dropout at 12khz on the STX825 wave guide. Got the opendrc-an's running and some filters plugged in. I was testing different auto-adjustment levels in different frequency ranges, hence why it's not as smooth on the left.

Last edited by notnyt; 10-30-2016 at 03:12 AM.
post #5637 of 7411 Old 10-30-2016, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 352
So do you have the mid/high on a passive Xo and using the opendrc's two channels for EQ?
post #5638 of 7411 Old 10-30-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
So do you have the mid/high on a passive Xo and using the opendrc's two channels for EQ?
100uf cap and an autoformer for 12db of padding. Using the opendrc for the filtering, one opendrc per speaker.
post #5639 of 7411 Old 10-30-2016, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Liked: 1351
Is that at the LP or 1 meter? I never liked a ruler flat response at the LP in my room. Ruler flat at the speaker and letting my room do its thing has always sound best to me in my room.
post #5640 of 7411 Old 10-30-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Is that at the LP or 1 meter? I never liked a ruler flat response at the LP in my room. Ruler flat at the speaker and letting my room do its thing has always sound best to me in my room.
its 1 foot. not the final curve, just messing around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page