SVS Prime Satellite 5.1 System Official AVS Forum Review - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 82 Old 03-18-2015, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2513 Post(s)
Liked: 3970
SVS Prime Satellite 5.1 System Official AVS Forum Review

Mark Henninger checks out an affordable subwoofer/satellite speaker system from SVS.

I've become a fan of SVS Sound's Prime line of speakers. I've spent the last couple of months listening to a number of the company's speakers, and I recently reviewed a pair of its Prime Towers. I found the Towers to be dynamic; imaging was precise, and I enjoyed listening to them.

A pair of Prime Towers costs $1000 (S1200 in Piano Black). For the same amount of money, SVS sells a 5.1 surround system based on five Prime Satellites. The speakers, combined with an SB-1000 subwoofer, make a complete system that's suitable for cinephiles as well as fans of multichannel music. And if you need more channels—for a 7.1 or 9.1 system—you can add additional Prime Satellites to a package for $200 per pair ($230 for Piano Black).

Features

The Prime Satellite is a compact 2-way design that uses the same aluminum-dome tweeter as the rest of the Prime line. It features the same 4.5-inch Peerless driver used as a midrange on the Prime Towers, but on the Satellites, it handles both midrange and bass.

Each Prime Satellite weighs 6.5 pounds and measures 8.85" x 4.9" x 6.3" (including the cloth grill and rubber feet). There's a choice of finish, either Black Ash or Piano Black.

The cabinets feature a diffraction-busting chamfered front baffle and grill. The back of each speaker has a 5-way binding post and a 1-inch flared bass port.

Here's a peek at the back of the SVS Prime Satellite

SVS rates the Prime Satellite's frequency response from 69 Hz to 25 kHz (+/-3 dB) and power handling at 150 Watts with an 8-ohm load. The speaker's sensitivity rating is 85 dB/W/m.

The SVS SB–1000 subwoofer sports a 12-inch driver and 300 watts of power (720 watts peak). It's a sealed subwoofer, making it rather compact. Overall dimensions are 13.5" x 13" x 14.6" (with grill). It weighs 35 pounds and comes in three finishes: Black Ash, Piano White, and Piano Black.

SVS rates the sub's bass response from 24 to 260 Hz +/- 3 dB (quasi-anechoic). The sub has a variable phase control as well as a variable (and defeatable) lowpass filter. In terms of inputs, it features 5-way binding posts as well as line-level RCA inputs. It even includes a 12V trigger.

Setup

I connected the speakers and sub to a Crestron Procise PSPHD pre/pro and ProAmp 7x250 (250 W/channel into 8 ohms) amplifier combo that currently serves as my reference system. I used a classic 5.1 layout with side surrounds.

I placed the subwoofer in the front of the room. I set the front left and right speakers on 24-inch stands and positioned them approximately two feet from each side wall and three feet from the back wall—they sat seven feet apart.

The center channel was on a shorter (12-inch) stand and sat beneath a Samsung PN64F8500 plasma. The left and right surrounds sat atop 36-inch speaker stands.

I used an Audyssey MultEQ Pro calibration kit to set speaker levels and distances. For actual listening, I disabled Audyssey's EQ feature, but I kept its level and distance adjustments. Also, I set the crossover for all the Satellites to 100 Hz.

Performance

The SVS Prime Satellites rocked the house. They are some of the best-sounding affordable small speakers I've heard. In fact, I found myself preferring their precision to the sound coming from considerably pricier tower speakers.

When I first played these speakers, I listened to the front left-right stereo pair with the subwoofer taking care of the bass. What I heard was almost shocking—there was little to no difference between their sound and what I heard coming from the much larger Prime Towers.

Without a subwoofer, the Prime Satellites don't sound all that impressive. These are physically small speakers, incapable of producing deep bass. Unless you pair them with subs, their actual capability remains hidden. But if you add a sub or two, they blossom into beautiful conveyors of audio excellence. In fact, imaging was superior to what I heard from the Prime Towers, likely due to the smaller front baffle.

I quickly realized that I had underestimated the Prime Satellites because of their small size and low price. They sounded so good, I found myself choosing to listen to them instead of the numerous full-sized towers that I have in my studio.

Even in a 2.1-channel configuration, the Prime Satellites sounded tremendous. There was a cognitive dissonance between their diminutive size and the soundfield they created. Make no mistake—these are serious speakers for serious listeners.

Since I do most of my listening in surround as opposed to 2-channel stereo, I switched to the full 5.1 configuration. I tested the system with a variety of music and movies, and I used DTS Neo:6 to upmix stereo music to surround.

I spent several weeks with the Prime Satellites as my primary speaker system. It was surprising how often I forgot that I was listening to satellites as opposed to full-sized towers. Track after track sounded as if it was playing through far more expensive speakers. In fact, as I put the system through its paces, I quickly realized that the main limitation of the system was the subwoofer.

Simply put, the Prime Satellites performed spectacularly well when relieved of bass duties. My listening space measures 11' x 19' x 9', and the five Prime Satellites filled it with sound—without breaking a sweat. I noticed that most of the time, the amp was cruising along at about 1W of output.

When I turned the system up to levels that typically draw complaints from my neighbors, the speakers drew 10 or 15W of power, and cone movement remained relatively minimal. When I pushed the system, I noticed the SB-1000 would run out of dynamic headroom well before the Satellites did.

Thanks the use of DSP control, the SB-1000 maintains its composure at normal listening levels. It won't bottom out or distort, but there are definite limits to its capabilities. For example, it can't reach 20 Hz, nor does SVS make any such claim. The SB-1000 starts to make bass right around 24 Hz—I found its specs accurately reflected what it delivered in my studio. However, due to its limited displacement and modest power rating, there's only so much bass you can get out of the sub.

On a separate note, I'm always quick to recommend two or more subwoofers for any system. It's not all about more bass; it's about better bass. Multiple subs fill in the peaks and dips that result from room interactions. Also, smoother bass makes it easier to integrate the main speakers with the subs.

A number of modern action movies feature sound effects that will test any speaker system's mettle. I recently started using an extended fight scene from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as a reference for cinematic surround sound. It starts at 1:07:46, which is chapter 14 on the Blu-ray.

The sounds and textures in that sequence include a lot of growling engine sounds, whizzing bullets, deep thuds, and a bass sweep at 1:12:00 that pushes most subwoofers to their limit. It's an extended scene with continuous action for over seven minutes—it doesn't let up until 1:15:10. I've heard that scene play in numerous high-end home theaters with much more expensive speaker systems, but the base 5.1 Prime Satellite package handled everything but deep bass with impressive fidelity.

This is the moment in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that tests your subwoofer's mettle.

During the most intense moments of the scene, sound levels at my main listening position hit 100 dBC or higher. I glanced at the power meters on the Procise PSHP and saw that the center-channel power draw peaked around 50 watts, and the Satellite serving as the center channel did not struggle with the task. I've heard many dedicated center-channel designs that did not perform as well as the diminutive Prime Satellite.

When I compared the deep bass output of a single SB-1000 to my current reference subs—a pair of JL Audio e112 subwoofers—it was clear that better bass improved the overall audio experience provided by the system. Since the Prime Satellites worked so well with the JL subs, I figured it was worth trying the two higher-end SVS subs I had on hand: an SB-2000 ($700) and a PC-2000 ($800). Swapping the SB-1000 for either one resulted in a significantly more satisfying audio experience. The most notable difference was tactile—a single SB-1000 can't rattle your bones the way either of the 2000 series subs can.

Between the three SVS subs that I tried in the system, the PC-2000 was the winner. That ported cylindrical sub—which I will review in the near future—had sufficient range (16-260 Hz +/- 3 dB) and raw output to transform a big-budget movie on Blu-ray into a visceral experience. Revisiting the scene from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles confirmed what I suspected—you need bass extension down to 16 Hz to get the most out that movie.

When I used the PC-2000 with a pair of Prime Satellites for 2-channel listening, I heard a system that can handle every note used in musical compositions, right on down to the 16 Hz organ note, not to mention the bass you find in modern electronic music.

Deep, visceral bass is fun, but this review is primarily about the $1000 Prime Satellite package. So I reconnected the SB-1000 and put the 5.1 system through one of the toughest musical tests I know of—playing the soundtrack from Tron: Legacy. The recording incorporates near-continuous deep bass tones and drones—as well as symphonic arrangements—that combine to truly tax subwoofers, speakers, and their amplifiers.

Tracks 17 and 18 from Tron: Legacy are among my favorites. On the right system, "Disc Wars" can make it feel like the walls in my studio are about to collapse. With the SB-1000 on bass, the effect was far more subtle. According to the Procise pre/pro, the Satellites only consumed 1 watt of power while the sub itself ran close to its performance limits. It didn't sound bad, but the shortcoming of the single compact sub were readily apparent—the Satellites had a lot more oomph left in them but the SB-1000 could not quite keep up.

"C.L.U." takes the bass onslaught of "Disc Wars" and ups the ante with a grandiose denouement in which Daft Punk and the London Symphony Orchestra conjure a monolith of sound that overwhelms lesser systems. Once again, the SB-1000 provided a somewhat restrained performance. A switch to the SB-2000 and then the PC-2000 again confirmed that the Satellites could keep up with a more robust sub.

Conclusion

Swapping the SB-1000 for a larger, more powerful subwoofer elevates the overall performance of the Satellites. The little Primes reward subwoofer upgrades, and in my opinion, they rival the sound of $1000+/pair tower speakers.

There are many ways you can improve upon the $1000 5.1 Prime Satellite system—for a price. On its own, the package presents a tremendous value for the performance you get. Even so, ever-greater sound quality is just one sub upgrade away.

I have not touched on what happens when you use the Satellites in conjunction with some of the larger speakers found in the Prime lineup. I'll save those details for my next SVS review, which will feature a 5.1.4 Atmos-capable speaker layout, several 7.1 surround-sound configurations, and every model of speaker in the Prime line.

Right now—as I write this—the five Prime Satellites remain in my system. I felt no need to swap the Satellites out for something better, and that is the ultimate testament to how good they are.

REVIEW SYSTEM

Sources

DIY PC (Windows 8) running Tidal and iTunes
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc Player

Amplification and Processing

Crestron Procise PSPHD pre/pro
Crestron Procise ProAmp 7x250

Cables

Monoprice 12-gauge OFC speaker cables
Mediabridge Ultra Series subwoofer cable
Mediabridge Ultra Series HDMI cable

Additional Components

SVS SB-2000 subwoofer
SVS PC-2000 subwoofer
Two JL Audio e112 subwoofers
Samsung PN64F8500 HDTV

Photos by Mark Henninger

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 03-20-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 03-18-2015, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I was so close to buying the Ultra bookshelves with a Prime satellite center (space constraints). Almost wish I would have at least auditioned it. I was just worried the satellite would sound limited. Oh well I love what I have now, but SVS is making some kick ass products.

Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #3 of 82 Old 03-18-2015, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Thanks for the review. Since the SB1000 and PB1000 are the same price will SVS sub (intentional abbr. ) the PB1000 for those that need more output down low?

I had the same reaction when I set up my first system with NHT SuperZeros. The imaging and sound stage were incredible. The sound stage was actually better than what I get with my current Klipsch towers, but the Klipsch are hard to beat for the price for movies and loud music listening.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #4 of 82 Old 03-18-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Wall brackets on the back of a rear-ported speaker? Or, alternately, rear ports on a wall-mount speaker?
darthray likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #5 of 82 Old 03-18-2015, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Wall brackets on the back of a rear-ported speaker? Or, alternately, rear ports on a wall-mount speaker?
Yes, but you are supposed to use bumpers/spacers, which are included with the speakers.

Mark Henninger
post #6 of 82 Old 03-18-2015, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 4373 Post(s)
Liked: 1699
This is so great Marc; thanks for that awesome review. SVS speakers and subs are the hi-end sauce in sound but without the hi-end price sticker.

Just look @ them, they are gorgeous and oozes quality drivers and cabinets all over.

These are good times to be alive. ...For all, not just the hi-end crowd, ...all the hi-end crowd. ...I could easily see a fantastic Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 7.1.4 setup built all around them, including two subs, and for way below what we usually associate with such a home theater sound system of high pedigree/caliber.
imagic likes this.
post #7 of 82 Old 03-18-2015, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Very interesting review. Would be nice to hear how the Primes compare to other bookshelf speakers like Ascend, HSU just to mention some
openbaffled likes this.
post #8 of 82 Old 03-18-2015, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
That was my thought as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Yes, but you are supposed to use bumpers/spacers, which are included with the speakers.
Did you compare them on a stand mount and a wall mount?
post #9 of 82 Old 03-18-2015, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrecording View Post
That was my thought as well.

Did you compare them on a stand mount and a wall mount?
I did not wall mount them for my review.

Mark Henninger
post #10 of 82 Old 03-18-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 1146
Mark,

How does your Procise PSHP give you a wattage output. Is that power that is sent to the speaker or power draw from the wall?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #11 of 82 Old 03-18-2015, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Mark,

How does your Procise PSHP give you a wattage output. Is that power that is sent to the speaker or power draw from the wall?
It offers a virtual VU meter for each channel. All you have to do is tell it the impedance of the speakers and it shows power sent to the speaker. Here's a picture...

Djoel, trog69 and jhughy2010 like this.

Mark Henninger
post #12 of 82 Old 03-18-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Those bumpers are meant to be used as feet, and are only 3 mm (less than 1/8") thick. That port needs to be 1" from the wall to work properly.

Quote:
Prime Satellite Specs:
Satellite Loudspeaker
Cabinet Dimensions: 8.75" (H) X 4.9" (W) X 6" (D).
Overall Dimensions: 8.85" (H) X 4.9" (W) X 6.3" (D) (includes grille and bumper feet).
Weight Unboxed: 6.5 pounds.
Premium black ash and piano gloss black finish options.
5-way binding posts.
1” wide-flared rear-firing port.
Cloth grille with pin/cup retention system.
Elastomer stick-on bumper feet (adds 3mm to height).

EDIT: Surrounds ported correctly

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Last edited by Augerhandle; 03-18-2015 at 06:07 PM.
post #13 of 82 Old 03-18-2015, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Those bumpers are meant to be used as feet, and are only 3 mm (less than 1/8") thick. That port needs to be 1" from the wall to work properly.
I see your point. So if someone hangs 'em, they'll have to find a way to make that extra space.

Mark Henninger
post #14 of 82 Old 03-18-2015, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm helping a buddy put a system together and he's looking to maximize his video experience, while seeking a less than top of the line audio one (the reverse of my goals, within our respective budgets, but that's the beauty of this hobby--choices). I was leaning towards a 5.1 set that would be a fair bit more expensive than this one (about 2.5x) but my experience with an SVS sub (I've already convinced him he should get the same one I got--PB2000) along with the glowing reviews of their speaker lines (including this one) will incite me to suggest going with the Prime sats you've reviewed here with a PB2000 (which will liberate enough funds to upgrade his display options). Good to know these are meeting and perhaps even surpassing expectations (I'm not in the market for speakers but should that change, I'll be sure to include SVS for more than subwoofers on the list).
trog69 likes this.
post #15 of 82 Old 03-18-2015, 08:01 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I got a set of the Primes (see my sig) and hung the surrounds from ceiling mounts. These are great little speakers and the sonic match with the Towers/Center is really astounding. This makes for a very solid image front to back for surround music and movie effects. I am more than happy with the whole system, SVS really did a great job with this line of speakers. Music, movies, everything sounds great. These are awesome speakers.

Theory is a great place, everything works in theory.

Receiver: Denon AVR X3000
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-N460/LaserDisc: Pioneer Elite CLD-59
Satellite: Dish Hopper w/Sling
Speakers: SVS Prime Tower/SVS Prime Center/SVS Prime Surround/Velodyne HGS-15
post #16 of 82 Old 03-18-2015, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Whats the difference between the driver in the SB1000 and the 2000?. I reccomended this system to a friend a few weeks ago, glad it turned out to be good advice.

Last edited by BNestico; 03-18-2015 at 08:26 PM.
post #17 of 82 Old 03-18-2015, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
I see your point. So if someone hangs 'em, they'll have to find a way to make that extra space.
The more likely scenario is to just plug the port.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #18 of 82 Old 03-19-2015, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I can't seem to find it now, but I could've sworn I read somewhere in one of the SVS threads that they had indicated the Prime Satellite should work fine mounted flush against the wall (I mean it's all over their gallery photos). It would be nice for someone to actually test it and report their observations.

I was planning on getting a pair of the satellites to use as front heights, but I ultimately went with Klipsch to match my front LCR.
post #19 of 82 Old 03-19-2015, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 4
From the tech specs section on the website, included is a:

"Keyway bracket for easy and convenient wall mounting (includes extra bumper pads for wall stand-off)."
post #20 of 82 Old 03-19-2015, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Also, take into consideration that the keyslot bracket protrudes from the cabinet about 3/16"-1/4" so this creates a gap between the port and wall. The bumper pads go at the bottom of the back of the cabinet so the bottom edge is not against the wall directly and prevents vibration. This mounting gives the cabinet a very slight downward angle.
post #21 of 82 Old 03-19-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 127
If the speaker will be wall mounted using the keyhole bracket, optimally the port should be spaced about one port diameter away from the wall boundary. But we have tried even 3/4" with no obvious port artifacts or change in system tuning. Adjusting the wall screw to protrude about 1/2" (combined with the 1/4" space-off of the keyhole bracket itself), will be fine. As mentioned above, this will also create a natural downward angle, which will help if the speaker is mounted above head level.

Looking at the bigger picture, (and not just port spacing) mounting any speaker free-standing in the room and away from boundaries will always result in the best imaging and sound stage. So to the extent practicable strive for this with the critical front stage (LCR) speakers. With that said, wall mounting (or bracket mounting) some (or all) of the speakers is an option many enthusiasts choose in order to preserve usable floor space in the listening room.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #22 of 82 Old 03-19-2015, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
If the speaker will be wall mounted using the keyhole bracket, optimally the port should be spaced about one port diameter away from the wall boundary. But we have tried even 3/4" with no obvious port artifacts or change in system tuning. Adjusting the wall screw to protrude about 1/2" (combined with the 1/4" space-off of the keyhole bracket itself), will be fine. As mentioned above, this will also create a natural downward angle, which will help if the speaker is mounted above head level.

Looking at the bigger picture, (and not just port spacing) mounting any speaker free-standing in the room and away from boundaries will always result in the best imaging and sound stage. So to the extent practicable strive for this with the critical front stage (LCR) speakers. With that said, wall mounting (or bracket mounting) some (or all) of the speakers is an option many enthusiasts choose in order to preserve usable floor space in the listening room.
Hanging the Satellites will become relevant to me in the next SVS review, where I use the Satellites as height channels for a 5.x.4 Atmos-compatible setup. I'm glad this discussion came up.
trog69 likes this.

Mark Henninger
post #23 of 82 Old 03-19-2015, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just heard this system last week, i was impressed with the quality given the price point.
post #24 of 82 Old 03-19-2015, 08:55 AM

Can somone speak to dialog clarity using the satellite as the center channel? Assuming clarity and quality would be improved by using the SVS Prime Center instead, would it be worth the additional $200 in price?

Similarly, would the Prime Bookshelf be worth the addtional $110 each to use as the L, C, or R?

I am looking to buy a system and am defitnitely leaning toward the SVS Prime line. I am just sure of the best combination.
post #25 of 82 Old 03-19-2015, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Dave View Post
Can somone speak to dialog clarity using the satellite as the center channel? Assuming clarity and quality would be improved by using the SVS Prime Center instead, would it be worth the additional $200 in price?

Similarly, would the Prime Bookshelf be worth the addtional $110 each to use as the L, C, or R?

I am looking to buy a system and am defitnitely leaning toward the SVS Prime line. I am just sure of the best combination.
I will be able to speak to it after I go through the review process I described where I plan to keep upgrading aspects of this base system. That'll include comparing the Center with the Satellite, for center-channel duty.

The Prime Satellite renders very clear dialog.

Mark Henninger
post #26 of 82 Old 03-19-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I will be able to speak to it after I go through the review process I described where I plan to keep upgrading aspects of this base system. That'll include comparing the Center with the Satellite, for center-channel duty.

Excellent, I can't wait to see your results! Will you be able to do this in the near future?
post #27 of 82 Old 03-19-2015, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Dave View Post
Excellent, I can't wait to see your results! Will you be able to do this in the near future?
Yes, I'll get to that sooner rather than later. A couple weeks from now is my guess.
Buckeye Dave likes this.

Mark Henninger
post #28 of 82 Old 03-19-2015, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a Prime Sat ordered for using as a center to match the L/R Sats. I will have to orient the center horizontally due to placement restrictions. Have you tested it in this position or just vertically?
post #29 of 82 Old 03-19-2015, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTDIGITY View Post
I have a Prime Sat ordered for using as a center to match the L/R Sats. I will have to orient the center horizontally due to placement restrictions. Have you tested it in this position or just vertically?
OK so check it out... I'm using a Prime Satellite as my center right now, but with different (and more expensive) towers. I'm between reviews, but I think the Prime Satellite sounds fantastic as a center channel speaker. So I just now turned it on its side. I don't hear any appreciable difference.
Buckeye Dave likes this.

Mark Henninger
post #30 of 82 Old 03-19-2015, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK so check it out... I'm using a Prime Satellite as my center right now, but with different (and more expensive) towers. I'm between reviews, but I think the Prime Satellite sounds fantastic as a center channel speaker. So I just now turned it on its side. I don't hear any appreciable difference.

You rock! Thanks!! My only "gripe" with doing that is that you cannot move the logo to look "correct", and the tapered baffle will look a bit funky like that.

Another question: In an attempt to save a little cash, would the EMP TEK E3b sats work with these as back surrounds?

Last edited by HOTDIGITY; 03-19-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Reply Speakers

Tags
frontpage , pime satellite , SB-1000 , Svs
Gear in this thread - SB-1000 by PriceGrabber.com