Ohm Acoustics Owners Discussion - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
post #1 of 41 Unread 04-04-2015, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Ohm Acoustics Owners Discussion

Ohm Acoustics speakers are very unique in their design and performance. They are manufactured in Brooklyn NY and are only sold on-line with an extremely generous trial period. With all of the new 3D audio formats such as Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D and with DTS:X on the horizon I wanted to start a thread discussing using Ohm speakers with these new formats.

In my situation, I inherited a pair of Ohm Walsh-2 speakers, manufactured circa 1987, about 14 years ago when I married my wife! I decided to use them as Rear Surrounds in my 5.1 configuration only to find that they sounded much better than my Infinity front mains. Over the years I got to speak with John Strobeen the owner of Ohm Acoustics in Brooklyn so recently when I upgraded my 5.1 set up to Dolby Atmos / Auro-3D configuration I gave him a call to see how I could use my Ohm Walsh-2's and set up a complete system using all Ohm speakers.

John is a wealth of knowledge and was eager to help. After a lot of experimenting, below is the setup for my home theater which is in my small to medium sized living room.

From Mains - Ohm Walsh 2000's
Front Heights - Ohm Walsh 2000 Omni Satellites
Front Center - Ohm Micro Walsh custom Center.
Rear Surrounds - Ohm Walsh Super 2000 Omni's ( upgraded Walsh-2's)
1- Cambridge Audio Subwoofer
Marantz SR7009 using Audyssey equalization.

My configuration is a work in progress and not set up to the exact Dolby Atmos or Auro-3D specifications but a compromise solution given my living room situation where I can't install ceiling or rear height speakers. What was interesting was that although my configuration isn't exact, I'm getting excellent 3D imaging with both Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D sources. Specifically with the Atmos and Auro bluray demo DVD's along with Dolby Atmos movies. In discussing this with John Strobeen at Ohm Acoustics, the experience is partially due to the fact that the Ohm speakers by design produce a near Omni directional sound field giving you that "immersive" effect. This coupled with the new audio formats is really providing an incredible 3D sound field in my setup.

If you are using Ohm speakers, lets use this thread to list your configuration, experiences, thoughts especially if you are using the new 3D audio formats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Unread 04-11-2015, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Who has Ohm Acoustics speakers!
post #3 of 41 Unread 04-11-2015, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I remember hearing those back in the late 70s maybe early 80s....They were over the top good back in their day. I live in central Ohio so maybe they were sold regionally back then . I remember them being pricey, and being worth the money. They were triangular shaped right? That's back when Polk and Infinity were first making the scene .
post #4 of 41 Unread 04-11-2015, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post
I remember hearing those back in the late 70s maybe early 80s....They were over the top good back in their day. I live in central Ohio so maybe they were sold regionally back then . I remember them being pricey, and being worth the money. They were triangular shaped right? That's back when Polk and Infinity were first making the scene .
Right that's correct but you should check out their web site at www.ohmspeakers.com. There have been many improvements made to the original design and in my opinion they sound as good or better than speakers in their price range especially with the new 3D audio formats such as Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D. Their inherent Omni/3D sound has really made them a great candidate for home theaters as well as for music. I had a pair of Walsh-2's from the 80's, started playing and experimenting with them with my Atmos setup and found them to create a really great sound field. I think that it's a great product for those audiophiles/videophiles who want to turn their living room or rec room into a home theater and get that great 3D sound field without making it look like a commercial movie theater!
post #5 of 41 Unread 04-11-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
*** Their inherent Omni/3D sound has really made them a great candidate for home theaters as well as for music.***
Has anyone used them for surrounds? Walsh drivers have always struck me as a really interesting choice for surrounds, but I've also wondered if they'd work close to (or on) a wall.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #6 of 41 Unread 04-11-2015, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Has anyone used them for surrounds? Walsh drivers have always struck me as a really interesting choice for surrounds, but I've also wondered if they'd work close to (or on) a wall.
Yes they are awesome for surrounds. I have my Walsh super 2000's set up as rear surrounds and for surrounds you can order any Walsh speaker with the Omni drivers for the same price. I have experimented and found that you can place them as close as 6 inches from your walls and still get great imaging even though they recommend a minimum of 12 inches. For my room, 7 1/2 inches from the rear corners was my sweet spot. They also have a micro-Walsh that can be mounded on the walls. If I have a larger room I would mount the micro's as rear height or side speakers but my room is just not big enough to support more speakers. With rear surround Omni's I get a near perfect sonic image for my situation which I wasn't able to get with standard "box" type speakers.
post #7 of 41 Unread 04-11-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I had some Walsh 2's back in the mid 80's, great speakers for the money. The drivers eventually rotted out and the cabinets started to chip. I haven't heard them in years. Interesting to know they are internet direct now.

post #8 of 41 Unread 04-11-2015, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

I never had that problem with my Walsh 2s but if they still support most of their existing speakers! They can change and update the drivers at a very reasonable price. I would imagine that the cabinet could be fixed depending on the problem. There aren't many companies that support their products no matter how old like they do.
post #9 of 41 Unread 04-11-2015, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
I never had that problem with my Walsh 2s but if they still support most of their existing speakers! They can change and update the drivers at a very reasonable price. I would imagine that the cabinet could be fixed depending on the problem. There aren't many companies that support their products no matter how old like they do.
No doubt they have great customer service and make very good speakers. Like many of us, I've changed out several pairs of speakers over the years and no longer have my 2's.
jrref likes this.

post #10 of 41 Unread 04-13-2015, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post
No doubt they have great customer service and make very good speakers. Like many of us, I've changed out several pairs of speakers over the years and no longer have my 2's.
Too bad you didn't save the cabinets. You could have put I new drivers and had an awesome set of speakers!
post #11 of 41 Unread 04-16-2015, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any experience driving Ohm speakers with AVR in a home theater setup?
post #12 of 41 Unread 04-16-2015, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I love my Ohm Walsh 2 2000's......great sound. Just running the Walsh 2's in a three channel setup because of house setup. I gave John a call and described my room and setup, and he then designed a custom Walsh center speaker for my room. Sounds totally amazing.....but needs lots of power to really open up the soundstage. In fact....it's so good that I no longer run any subwoofer at all...it's just not needed.

Just my 2 cents
post #13 of 41 Unread 04-17-2015, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg320 View Post
I love my Ohm Walsh 2 2000's......great sound. Just running the Walsh 2's in a three channel setup because of house setup. I gave John a call and described my room and setup, and he then designed a custom Walsh center speaker for my room. Sounds totally amazing.....but needs lots of power to really open up the soundstage. In fact....it's so good that I no longer run any subwoofer at all...it's just not needed.

Just my 2 cents
Sounds really good! Which custom center did you get? Can you describe it? Also how many watts/channel is your amp?

Last edited by jrref; 04-17-2015 at 04:33 AM.
post #14 of 41 Unread 04-17-2015, 06:37 AM

The custom center was made specifically for my entertainment unit's shelf that is above plasma display, and has a Walsh 2000 driver firing inside of speaker enclosure that is totally enclosed and fires out from the front and both sides. Not sure which way driver is pointed as it totally enclosed with speaker grill material. John had me send room measurements, entertainment center measurements, and a few pictures and then he had it made in shop. Looks nice and sounds great.
post #15 of 41 Unread 04-17-2015, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The custom center was made specifically for my entertainment unit's shelf that is above plasma display, and has a Walsh 2000 driver firing inside of speaker enclosure that is totally enclosed and fires out from the front and both sides. Not sure which way driver is pointed as it totally enclosed with speaker grill material. John had me send room measurements, entertainment center measurements, and a few pictures and then he had it made in shop. Looks nice and sounds great.
Does it look like a box with a rounded front?
post #16 of 41 Unread 04-17-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Does it look like a box with a rounded front?
No, it looks like a traditional bookshelf speaker that is rectangular in shape, with flat front and sides. The front and sides are mainly open but covered with the black grill material. Not sure if the driver points up like normal Walsh drivers or maybe points horizontally towards back wall....I can't see inside
post #17 of 41 Unread 04-17-2015, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No, it looks like a traditional bookshelf speaker that is rectangular in shape, with flat front and sides. The front and sides are mainly open but covered with the black grill material. Not sure if the driver points up like normal Walsh drivers or maybe points horizontally towards back wall....I can't see inside
The driver has to be pointing up like a regular Walsh Driver. I tried to post a picture of my custom center but the file is too large. I'll try to post it but can you show us what yours looks like?
post #18 of 41 Unread 04-17-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
The driver has to be pointing up like a regular Walsh Driver. I tried to post a picture of my custom center but the file is too large. I'll try to post it but can you show us what yours looks like?
Yeah I just pulled out a flashlight and the driver is pointing up. Let's see if I can attach a picture on this forum.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-17 06.58.20.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	670809  
post #19 of 41 Unread 04-17-2015, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a picture of my center channel. It has a micro walsh driver but i'm getting one retrofitted with a 2000 driver to match the rest of my system.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	670961   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	670969  
post #20 of 41 Unread 04-17-2015, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Here is a picture of my center channel. It has a micro walsh driver but i'm getting one retrofitted with a 2000 driver to match the rest of my system.
Here is my Walsh Super 2000 surround.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	670993  
post #21 of 41 Unread 04-17-2015, 08:13 PM

Looks like a nice setup Jrref, what are you using for the upper L/R speakers?
post #22 of 41 Unread 04-17-2015, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Looks like a nice setup Jrref, what are you using for the upper L/R speakers?
They are Ohm 2000 Omni's that John built for me. So once I get the center upgraded to the 2000 then I will be all set.
Thanks,
John
post #23 of 41 Unread 04-24-2015, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else have Ohm speakers? Any experience with them?
post #24 of 41 Unread 04-27-2015, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looking for Ohm speaker parts

I had a pair of Ohm F's in the 70's, and they're still the best speakers I've ever heard. I wish I still had them (and had room for them).

I just bought a pair of Ohm speakers that are the familiar triangular shape. The woofer fires down into the base of the cabinet and there's a tweeter on top with a bulb that lights up depending on the amount of power put into them. Looking on the Ohm website, I narrowed it down to the Model J, but that's the only vintage model with no photograph! Looking online, these must really be orphans.

Anyway, they're missing the top covers, and I'm finding just how rare Ohm speakers are anyway.

I also just bought a pair of Pro 42's; these are the larger ones with a woofer and a passive radiator, and one of them has incorrect drivers. Ohm wants $95 each, and I suppose I'm dreaming wanting to find them for less?
post #25 of 41 Unread 04-27-2015, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billson View Post
I had a pair of Ohm F's in the 70's, and they're still the best speakers I've ever heard. I wish I still had them (and had room for them).

I just bought a pair of Ohm speakers that are the familiar triangular shape. The woofer fires down into the base of the cabinet and there's a tweeter on top with a bulb that lights up depending on the amount of power put into them. Looking on the Ohm website, I narrowed it down to the Model J, but that's the only vintage model with no photograph! Looking online, these must really be orphans.

Anyway, they're missing the top covers, and I'm finding just how rare Ohm speakers are anyway.

I also just bought a pair of Pro 42's; these are the larger ones with a woofer and a passive radiator, and one of them has incorrect drivers. Ohm wants $95 each, and I suppose I'm dreaming wanting to find them for less?
Did you call John Strobeen at Ohm? He can probably help you with the covers, drivers, etc.. They have so much stuff that's not even on their web site that they probably have exactly what you need. Also can you post a picture of what you have? I never saw the bulb that lights up that you are describing!
post #26 of 41 Unread 04-29-2015, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's a couple pics of the front and back of the tweeter assembly. I will call John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_1070213.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	692698   Click image for larger version

Name:	_1070215.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	468.4 KB
ID:	692706  
post #27 of 41 Unread 04-29-2015, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Wow theses are Really Old! But I want to see the whole speaker driver. Can you send a picture of that too! Great you are calling John. Tell him that you were recommended from AVS by John. He will know and let us know how you made out.
Thanks,
John
post #28 of 41 Unread 05-05-2015, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow theses are Really Old! But I want to see the whole speaker driver. Can you send a picture of that too! Great you are calling John. Tell him that you were recommended from AVS by John. He will know and let us know how you made out.
Thanks,
John
Billson can you post a picture of the whole speaker driver! Thanks!
post #29 of 41 Unread 05-06-2015, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Wow, I didn't know they were still around, much less offering replacement parts. I wonder if it is worth getting new woofers for my old Ohm E's, which are sitting unused due to deterioration of the foam cones...
post #30 of 41 Unread 05-06-2015, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdallen View Post
Wow, I didn't know they were still around, much less offering replacement parts. I wonder if it is worth getting new woofers for my old Ohm E's, which are sitting unused due to deterioration of the foam cones...
Give John Strobeen a call at Ohm Speakers, i'm sure he can probably help you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers