Recommendation for ultrabudget surround system - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By XenoBrain

post #1 of 14 Old 04-04-2015, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Recommendation for ultrabudget surround system

Hello AVSForum, long time listener first time caller.

I recently convinced my uncle to get rid of his Bose Acoustimass 6 Series III speakers and helped him sell them for $250. My case was predicated on the claim that I could get better sound for the resale value of that system.

I had the Monoprice 10565 in mind particularly, currently $220 on Amazon. I am aware of their extreme similarity to the Energy Take Classic 5.1 which are currently $300 on Amazon, so that may be an option too. Supposedly the Monoprice set is a little brighter and the Energy's more neutral, but given he actually uses the speakers as much for music as for tv/movies that may make the Energy's a better fit.

I'm also trying to talk him into a Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.0 system (two towers, two bookshelves, center, no woofer) for $430 or the SP-PK22BS (4 bookshelves, center, with woofer) for $450 but they're not particularly willing to spend the extra $170 to get the vastly superior sound. Is there some way to make this work, like getting the two tower speakers for $220-ish (pair, obviously) with some dinky (but tonally matched, of course) satellites for the surrounds, dropping the woofer and center channel?

Basically, what is the best sound we can get for $300-ish? Speaker size and aesthetics is not a great concern. He isn't willing to give up surrounds (but may not be too picky on quality). Requirement of a center channel is a judgement call and woofer can be done without if the bass is adequate. In terms of characteristics, he's used to Bose so a wide, diffuse sound may be a plus. In the 1980's he had some JBL towers (don't know the model unfortunately) and still swears by them, so replicating those characteristics would be a plus a well. Beggars can't be choosers of course, especially at this non-existent budget.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-04-2015, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Hands down for a budget system - I would go with the Sound Appeal speakers
You can buy 3 pair for under $225 shipped, and use one speaker as a center
and keep a spare speaker. Then add a budget-friendly sub like Dayton
http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Booksh...shelf+speakers

One crazy former member gave a subjective review here
Sound Appeal Bookshelf (Do they have some appeal?)

Dayton Subwoofer
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--300-629

I would put the Sound Appeal on a real short list - your call

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

Last edited by zieglj01; 04-04-2015 at 06:01 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-04-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The Pioneers. I tried them. They are OK. But much better than the other systems you listed. You will need a sub. Especially if you use the -22s as mains.

Sounds good!
post #4 of 14 Old 04-04-2015, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

2 pairs of the SA's and a $150 sub for $288 sounds good, I think he can live without the center channel on this budget. Would love to hear some additional opinions for options of course, but I like this idea. Thanks!
zieglj01 likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-04-2015, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Pioneer BS-21s are on sale for $50/pair.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-405-_-Product

Matching center is $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=82-117-404

and do like that Dayton sub

not trying to follow zieg around, we just posted in similar threads : )
post #6 of 14 Old 04-04-2015, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoBrain View Post
2 pairs of the SA's and a $150 sub for $288 sounds good, I think he can live without the center channel on this budget. Would love to hear some additional opinions for options of course, but I like this idea. Thanks!
Yes you can live without a center - the Sound Appeal is more clean and clear sounding
with tight and controlled bass - where the Pioneer is more boomy and muddy sounding.

The Sound appeal throws a good central image - so you can do phantom center.

However, your choice.

Last edited by zieglj01; 04-04-2015 at 06:31 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-04-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpat View Post
not trying to follow zieg around, we just posted in similar threads : )
It is called as the Audio World Turns.

post #8 of 14 Old 04-04-2015, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Hello AVSForum, long time listener first time caller.

I recently convinced my uncle to get rid of his Bose Acoustimass 6 Series III speakers and helped him sell them for $250. My case was predicated on the claim that I could get better sound for the resale value of that system.

I had the Monoprice 10565 in mind particularly, currently $220 on Amazon. I am aware of their extreme similarity to the Energy Take Classic 5.1 which are currently $300 on Amazon, so that may be an option too. Supposedly the Monoprice set is a little brighter and the Energy's more neutral, but given he actually uses the speakers as much for music as for tv/movies that may make the Energy's a better fit.

I'm also trying to talk him into a Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.0 system (two towers, two bookshelves, center, no woofer) for $430 or the SP-PK22BS (4 bookshelves, center, with woofer) for $450 but they're not particularly willing to spend the extra $170 to get the vastly superior sound. Is there some way to make this work, like getting the two tower speakers for $220-ish (pair, obviously) with some dinky (but tonally matched, of course) satellites for the surrounds, dropping the woofer and center channel?

Basically, what is the best sound we can get for $300-ish? Speaker size and aesthetics is not a great concern. He isn't willing to give up surrounds (but may not be too picky on quality). Requirement of a center channel is a judgement call and woofer can be done without if the bass is adequate. In terms of characteristics, he's used to Bose so a wide, diffuse sound may be a plus. In the 1980's he had some JBL towers (don't know the model unfortunately) and still swears by them, so replicating those characteristics would be a plus a well. Beggars can't be choosers of course, especially at this non-existent budget.

Thanks!
Hey guy ,I'm not a member on this thread just looking. Look,Look up a pair of either floor or bookshelf speakers by Pioneer but the Andrew Jones series? Now u can get a set of bookshelves on eBay or Amazon used and that's the way I would go if we're me? And I've got a 15.000.00 system,not that this means anything? I'm up to date and if it's for a msn with older ears then u need a spspeakers that can reach those ears ? Just do a bit of research and u will pat yourself for it,and so will he ! Good luck? Definitive Technology 450 bookshelves at NewBurgh for 2 or 225.00? Beautiful speakers !
post #9 of 14 Old 04-04-2015, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Oh one thing I need to note is that we're on the Big Island of Hawaii. I just ran through the parts express checkout for the woofer to see what the shipping cost would be (it's free only to contiguous US) and they wanted ~$120 just for the shipping (obscene!). Would the Dayton Audio SUB 1000 ($135) work well enough? That's free shipping through Amazon. The 1200 is available from Amazon with $15 shipping (including Hawaii) so that brings to total to $163 for the woofer. Is it worth a $28 price difference? Pinching pennies, I know but that's the situation unfortunately. Especially if I can find a way to snag a center channel down the road for ~$40.

Thanks again for excellent advice!
post #10 of 14 Old 04-04-2015, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Would the Dayton Audio SUB 1000 ($135) work well enough? That's free shipping through Amazon. The 1200 is available from Amazon with $15 shipping (including Hawaii) so that brings to total to $163 for the woofer. Is it worth a $28 price difference? Pinching pennies, I know but that's the situation unfortunately. Especially if I can find a way to snag a center channel down the road for ~$40.

Thanks again for excellent advice!
I would aim for the 12 inch (worth it), if you can squeeze it in - the center is not an issue at this time.

If budget is real tight, then the 10 inch will not be the end of the world.

post #11 of 14 Old 04-04-2015, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 8
And the ten inch will still provide lower bass than the Bose
post #12 of 14 Old 04-05-2015, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

I don't doubt it! Those Bose speakers made me... sad. We're going 4.1 with that SA's and Dayton 1200. Thanks zieg!
post #13 of 14 Old 04-05-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I don't doubt it! Those Bose speakers made me... sad. We're going 4.1 with that SA's and Dayton 1200. Thanks zieg!
Enjoy the adventure!

post #14 of 14 Old Today, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick followup--

There proved to be no way to get the Sound Appeal Bookshelves or Dayton Woofer through Amazon, Ebay, direct or otherwise for reasonable shipping costs. We had to restrict our order to products fulfilled by Amazon, so in the end we went with the Energy Take Classics. We're not disappointed though, they are some shockingly musical speakers. Crystal clear. Highly recommended to those looking for a budget priced Sat/Sub type system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page