AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why so little discussion about Axiom speakers?

17K views 68 replies 28 participants last post by  markrubin 
#1 ·
I don't know, because I never heard them but how does Axiom home theater speakers sound? What is the word on them, because they look absolutely beautiful. I am a Def Tech guy, but have been a lurker on the Axiom website for a few years now, because they look so beautiful. Why is there very little talk on here about them, no owners thread like almost all the other companies have? Not much on You tube either, not a ton of reviews online for that matter either. So what is the deal with them, thanks?

#2 ·
in the past they were scrutinized for inferior parts.....i believe however today is another story. the m100 were at a shootout on another forum, and they did quite well. i wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

#3 · (Edited)
As a Definitive Technology owner I find your post rather disturbing. Nah, just kidding. :)

I looked at Amazon for reviews and there are only four for one of the floor standing models. The four reviewers all seem to like these speakers. Bottom line though, is that you would need to audition these for yourself to see if you like their sound, but I'm sure you already knew that. The wood grain is actually vinyl, which sort of left me a bit disappointed.

http://www.amazon.com/M80-Floorstan...&keywords=axiom+M80+v4+Floorstanding+Speakers

#4 ·
As a Definitive Technology owner I find your post rather disturbing. Nah, just kidding. :)

I looked at Amazon for reviews and there are only four for one of the floor standing models. The four reviewers all seem to like these speakers. Bottom line though, is that you would need to audition these for yourself to see if you like their sound. The wood grain is actually vinyl, which sort of left me a bit disappointed.

http://www.amazon.com/M80-Floorstan...&keywords=axiom+M80+v4+Floorstanding+Speakers
Yeah I'm a Definitive owner/fan through and through, but was just curious. Not much talk about them. Just found it odd.

#5 · (Edited)
There are some guys here that really, and I mean REALLY went out of their way to trash Axiom like it was their life mission. A simple search here will reveal the same names in almost every discussion. Most of their claims were complete nonsense and usually for personal gain.

I have quite a few of them in my house and I'm happy with them. Take advantage of their B stock/outlet/refurb area's on their web page though as at their normal non discounted prices they have a lot of other competition to consider. They have free shipping and 30 day in home trial. If you are in Canada, they are one of the better brands to consider. If you are in the USA - you guys got lots of options, but I'd still consider them but not at normal prices.

#6 ·
They just look really beautiful, but that doesn't mean they sound incredible. I mean I love Definitive, they look good in a lot of ways, but in my opinion sound much better than they look. I wish I could hear these somewhere. I'm not about to switch from Definitive so at the end of the day it doesn't matter a ton, its just a curiosity. Thanks for the replies, look forward to reading more of them.

#7 ·
The only thing that I've heard about Axiom is their use of dual tweeters mounted outboard of the three woofers. Lots of experts seemed to think the diffraction of sound would occur. More than a few users seemed to agree. 6 years ago I was in the market for main speakers with a budget of up to $2k. I ended up with some Emotiva speakers which were very good - I came very close to ordering the M80's from Axiom several times. Reviews of them have always been quite favorable. The only Axiom speaker that I know of that gets (consistently?) bad reviews is the VP150 pictured below. YMMV.

Attachments

#8 ·
The only thing that I've heard about Axiom is their use of dual tweeters mounted outboard of the three woofers. Lots of experts seemed to think the diffraction of sound would occur.
Comb filtering, not diffraction. Either way you don't want to have it.
The only Axiom speaker that I know of that gets (consistently?) bad reviews is the VP150 pictured below.
That's due to the tweeter placement, and the unavoidable comb filtering that's the result. It's very odd, since most of their other products appear to be competently engineered. I say most, as the VP180 is similarly botched.

Reactions: Knucklehead90
#12 ·
I have 3 sets of Axioms throughout my house & I consider them to be as good as anything in their class & price point. My wood veneer High Gloss Rosewood M22s & EP-800 subs look rather magnificent in my HT & certainly sound just as good.

Go to Home Theater Shack (and elsewhere) & check out the credible reviews that were done there in the past couple of years. That is the real story...

TAM

#14 · (Edited)
Exactly.

I have in my house:

QS8's, VP150, M80, M3 bookshelves, M22 on walls, M2 on walls, VP 150 on wall, M3 in ceiling for atmos. And I'm looking to get more on walls for another room + a sub which will probably be SVS again as I do not consider the Axiom subs a good value. But I've never heard an axiom sub so really I can't comment on it. I have SVS and HSU subs as well as a small Polk.

I replaced Polks, Paradigm, Vega's, and a few other brands all with Axiom's. As a DJ for 12 years, and I worked in a/v sales for years as well, I've seen a few speakers. The only speaker of the bunch that disappoints me is the original VP150 center channel (it's old, from 2004) as vocals in movies could be a little better. It's not horrible but compared to the rest, it's the weakest and I need to run it a touch hot, multeq seems to have fixed 90% of the issues I had with the speaker when I switched from Yamaha to Denon. The On Wall VP 150(brand new 2014 model) is perfectly fine. I'm also struggling with qs8's now with Atmos, as Atmos really requires directional speakers. They are excellent otherwise though and one of the better surround speakers on the market and I'd highly recommend them for any 5.1/7.1 setup.

People are entitled to their own opinions of course, and I always welcome other suggestions. Just like anything on the interweb, make sure the advice you are getting is from valid sources with real hands on experience vs. rumors, speculation, accusation, and self profound experts. But at their price point, they are good deal imho. Sure I'd rather have studio 20's instead of my M3 bookshelves, but I paid $400 for my maple M3's, and around here (Canada) studio 20's start at 1400/pair for black - so yeah they better sound better.

Just to add, weirdly enough, I'm sorta the opposite of the OP. I have always wanted to try Def Tech, especially their on walls. But their prices really scare me off. When you get into that price range, you really have a lot of choices out there

#15 ·
Like a few others have mentioned, two or three years back there was a guy who went out of his way to trash Axiom and that spun up some other posters. It turns out he was employed by a a magazine that lost Axiom advertising, so his views were hugely suspect.

It also seems they have the one center (VP150) that was mentioned above that has a very wide separation of the two tweeters, and that has caused some controversy. I've never heard it and can't comment.

I have Axiom, M22s/VP100 on one system, M3s on another, and love them. The M22s are very neutral so perfect for classical and jazz. The M3s have a mid-bass bump so are good to use for rock without tone adjustments. I use Axioms for my audio systems right now; when I'm ready to get new speakers (towers) for the HT room they will be the ones to beat. That said, I've always wanted to compare them to Paradigm and PSB. Def Tech has also received a lot of good user feedback so I'm guessing are comparable.

I also was drawn to them by the clean design. The standard Axioms are vinyl, but not that you'd notice from even a foot away. They also have an upgrade that adds wood veneer.

#16 ·
Yup...Axiom sure gets a bad rap both here and another forum I frequently visit. I will say this....I started out with the Axiom Q's which I thoroughly enjoyed but I didn't have the same success with their other speakers. In no way am I trying to say the Axioms were bad but more a lateral move at the time. In the end, I went another route(current speakers) that I felt gave me the significant or worthwhile change I was looking for.

I do agree though...they(Axiom) offers some really nice veneer upgrades. You'll have to ask yourself the hard question if you decided on the Axiom "are they going to be an upgrade or not"...I personally didn't not feel that way at the time when I compared them to my Energy RC's....YMMV...however.

Good luck....:)

#17 ·
Some like em, some don't. They do tend to be bright, but so do Klipsch, and lots of people love those also.
I had M22ti's years ago, I wound up selling them. Too bright for me. Sounded pretty good on jazz horns, especially with a nice warm tube amp. I thought they were particularly bad on hard rock or metal.
YMMV. Certainly worth a listen, you might love them.
John

#18 ·
Some like em, some don't. They do tend to be bright, but so do Klipsch, and lots of people love those also.
I disagree, I definitely do not think they are bright, not anywhere near Klipsch.

Other than personal preference driving our differing assessment, it might be that they have changed over time. The M22ti line came out around 2000, Axiom has updated their crossovers several times since then, I think they are on what they call v4. So I'm thinking the crossover updates are likely what fixed that problem. (For what it's worth, I have v2 crossovers.)

#19 ·
Wel, there is a Axiom owner thread and I think you will find the amount of discussion is about right considering the volume of sales. For instance, you will see that Def Tech, Polk, Klipsch and a few other high volume speaker manufactures with lots of models for sale get the most discusssion. I don't wonder why there is not more discusssion about EMPtek speakers, I assume the amount is about equal to the number of us who own them- which would be WAY LESS than the number of polk owners...

#21 · (Edited)
See, typical Axiom thread. There was never a problem with the crossovers in the first place. That was the exact rumor that was spread around by someone with a personal agenda. But yes, over the years they have updated their speakers like any company would and with myself having everything from the TI versions to V4, there is a difference. Bright? never, not a word I'd use. Bright to me means - OMFG turn it down my ears are bleeding. Bright means headache inducing. My A/V guy here at work just installed a set of JBL's in a multimedia room thinking they sounded great, and that's how I would describe them - Bright (for that room). I immediately said I can't handle it, turn it off.

Clear and detailed is how I would describe them, and that's is how I want my speakers to be. Not muffled like someone put blankets over the speakers. I never get fatigued listening to them, I'm never looking for the treble control wanting to turn it down. But my ears, aren't your ears.

Axiom does a good cabinet. They were a cabinet company before a speaker company. Vinyl is top notch, even their b-stock sales, and "scratch dent" stuff is better then other guys. I know SVS is popular here, and I have two subs from them, but their vinyl is nowhere near as good as the Axiom stuff. Not trying to pick on SVS, only trying to give you a reference point. My oldest Axiom's are 10 years old and still look brand new. No peeling, fading cracking etc. Whereas my PB-2000 feels cheaper (not cheap) and has had cracking issues since day one.

As for their never ending list of wood veneers....their wood, gives me wood. Some are very nice.

But that's cosmetic. Secondary to everything else for a speaker of course. Listen, Axiom isn't the be all end all of speakers. You got more money to spend, find something better. But there's nothing really wrong with them either. The bigger question is whether they fit your needs and more importantly, how they sound in YOUR room - just like any other brand.

#24 ·
It never ceases to amaze me how opinions are formed with brands based on little to nothing. It is like someone saying 'Guiness YUK' but when you ask them have you ever tried it, the will say 'No, I won't try that caus' it's gross'.

I have had my share of speakers and every time I get a new set, I will say how much better they were than the previous ones. Guess as time goes on, things hopefully get better or improved. So I get a chuckle when someone starts going on about a particular brand of speaker because a 15-20 year old model they didn't like.

When I decided last year that I wanted a newer and better speakers that the Energy C3's that I had, it was far more difficult than it was 10-15 years ago as there aren't the vast numbers of HiFi stores around to see what is out there. I ended up finding 3 stores in my local area that had a decent array of product and decided to let me ears do the reckoning. I had a vision in my mind from some B&W speakers that I heard at a trade show some 15 years back that at the time were $4k+ and more than I could afford or ever imagined paying for kit. I wanted something that sounded as good if not better than what I remembered.

I tried the Paradigm and was reasonably impressed with the Studio 60 and 100's and the Signature S6's were better but not enough to justify the more than 3x the price. I went and listened to B&W 803 and 804's. Again, I was very impressed and it sounded like the memory that I had and a bit more. But the price was just too rich for me to consider. I listened to some Totem and PSB but maybe it was the store and their sound room but they just didn't impress me one bit. Then a friend told me about Axiom and try them at your home.. 'but they are considered bright'. But I thought that I would give them a try.

I got one the phone and talked with Axiom and a few weeks later a set of 'B'-Stock M80v4's showed up at my house. Plugged them into my old and trusty Nakamichi AV1 and they just shone. The sound was amazing, equal to if not better than the Paradigm Studio 100's and within a stone throw of the B&W. I was blown away with how great they sounded. Then I put on a second CD 'Rolling Stones' and it sounded 'bla!' . What the heck. How could these speakers that were so great suddenly get so empty. So I tried another CD, 'Queen' and back to sounding great again. Then it hit me. it wasn't the speakers were wrong, but the speakers revealed how bad the recording was on the CD. A cheep speaker will mask over bad with artificial bumps and other tricks to get them sounding good, and in the process makes even a bad recording better. Not these Axioms.

I listened at pondered for a good 3 weeks, but I will admit that I sent them back. Not because they weren't a great speaker.. but as I had budgeted more money thinking that I would get the Paradigm Studio 100's, I figured I could look at a better set of Axioms, so I traded up to the LFR1100. Those blow away in sound quality the B&W's and Paradigm Signature S6's without hesitation. But they do require their own 4 channels from a Power Amp. When all costs were added up, I spent a few thousand more than I planned, but well less than some of the speakers that I was auditioning. I ended up with a great sounding set of speakers that to this day bring a permanent smile to my face when I listen to them.

That is how I rate a speaker. Does it make me really happy when I listen.

#25 ·
My father's theater has a complement of mid-range Axioms from about 10 years ago, and sounds phenomenal. It should be noted that there have been a very substantial set of upgrades made across the line (currently "V4") since that older set was manufactured. Based on this experience, my own set of speakers is on layaway from Axiom as I continue to work on room construction.

In my opinion, the comb filtering issue is often substantially overblown. You can read my detailed thoughts on this here, especially including the essential role of room effects. As a note, my Dad's center is a VP150, and mine will be the VP180. I'll be updating the linked thread with a full review once the speakers come in and the room is set up.

A list is also compiled in the second post of that thread with several points about the brand that have positively impressed me, and help to validate my own purchase. It may be a useful information to others who are also currently shopping. :cool:

#26 ·
Most of their models have professional reviews (with quotes and links to the complete article) on their website.
FWIW I'd second the idea that you'll want to hear them in your own room. You should really consider the room size to avoid going too big.
For surrounds closer than 5' the QS4 will surprise you, for a larger room the 8's fill the void. They literally disappear until called upon to be location specific. You'll understand when you sense fear, look over your shoulder etc.
I love the M80HP's. You wouldn't believe me if I were to write my experiences with them here.
Suffice to say what ever you try place them in your room properly and don't sacrifice the ideal seating position for anything. Let the room look like **** if you have to, turn off the lights and enjoy.

Reactions: Merlin521
#27 ·
So there you have your answer...deserved or not, there are a lot of folks who feel Axiom sucks!

#28 · (Edited)
I had two pairs of QS8's for surrounds in my theater for two years, I didn't really have any complaints about them for what they cost. But about 6 months ago I upgraded my surrounds and sold my QS8's. I still think for the price they were a good surround but I can't say that they were giant slayers and were better then any of the other more expensive surrounds that I've heard.

#31 ·
AVS is by far the largest of all the audio video forums and with so little discussion about certain brands should tell you something. HSU, SVS, Ascend, Aperion have all been around for quite awhile and are still going strong on the forums. Why? quality, performance and value. They also don't shy away from testing and real measurements.

Looks is a big selling point to the uninformed. Just look at all those drivers and odd layouts, they look cool.

#30 ·
As I said before, mine sound every bit as good as they look, especially the flawless high gloss rosewood finish. They have 12 coats of hand rubbed lacquer & take over a month to finish & cure.

My VP160 CC is not the same finish as the rest (although it doesn't look out of place); however, I just may trade it in using their generous Trade Up Program & have Axiom build me another one in rosewood. Expensive option (especially rosewood) but worth it IMO...

TAM

#34 ·
Since I got my first pair of QS8s (7 years ago), I haven't been able to go back to anything else. I've tried a couple times, but am now on my 3rd set of QS8s (nothing failed on the previous two sets at all). I wouldn't want to listen to them on their own, but as surrounds, they disappear perfectly despite non-Axiom front speakers. Things like rain from the QS8s sound lifelike and transparent, or at least significantly moreso to me than anything else I've tried at home.

I've never heard anything else they make, but specs and reviews would lend me to believe that better/equivalent can be had for less money (on the items with more relevant competition than multi-pole surrounds).

#35 ·
Since I got my first pair of QS8s (7 years ago), I haven't been able to go back to anything else. I've tried a couple times, but am now on my 3rd set of QS8s (nothing failed on the previous two sets at all). I wouldn't want to listen to them on their own, but as surrounds, they disappear perfectly despite non-Axiom front speakers. Things like rain from the QS8s sound lifelike and transparent, or at least significantly moreso to me than anything else I've tried at home.

I've never heard anything else they make, but specs and reviews would lend me to believe that better/equivalent can be had for less money (on the items with more relevant competition than multi-pole surrounds).
I did keep my QS8's - they are really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.