Looking for new floorstanding speakers with no sub - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-14-2015, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
trueimage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for new floorstanding speakers with no sub

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my speakers in my condo. I have a 2 floor condo with 1 person below my main floor and no one above or on 3 sides. I have decided a subwoofer is probably a bad idea, at least for now (replacing floors, might look at adding a layer of soundproofing in future)

area is 9 foot ceilings, hard wood, two large windows, open concept into kitchen, and about 450 sq ft

Current setup is just 3.0:
Marantz SR7008
Athena AS B2.2 fronts
Athena AS C1.2 center
didn't bother connecting surrounds in this new place as I'm thinking of putting them in-wall/in-ceiling later

I want to get some good floorstanding speakers and a matching center with good range and some low end to make up for no subwoofer as much as possible.

I went and listened to some Paradigm Monitor 11 v7 and a Center 1 v7 (he said it should match with a Center 3 v7) and the sound was very very good with lots of bass.

My budget is I think around that price range which is about $2700 CAD plus tax for those 3, but I MIGHT stretch and go for the Studio 60s if they sound a lot better.

Any other recommendations or advice in this range would be excellent.

Thanks
trueimage is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 04-14-2015, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 153
In that price range a pair of Salk SongTowers might be just what you are looking for - and you'd have change left over. If you can find someone local to you for a listening session do it. I've had a pair for a little while and the clarity and full range continues to amaze me. I'd never have guessed that a pair of 5" woofers could play to 42hz with this much authority. The mids and highs are that good too. IMO you can't go wrong with internet direct buying. Its the best 'bang for the buck' there is. You might want to check out the Owner's thread.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 04-14-2015, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
trueimage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
In that price range a pair of Salk SongTowers might be just what you are looking for - and you'd have change left over. If you can find someone local to you for a listening session do it. I've had a pair for a little while and the clarity and full range continues to amaze me. I'd never have guessed that a pair of 5" woofers could play to 42hz with this much authority. The mids and highs are that good too. IMO you can't go wrong with internet direct buying. Its the best 'bang for the buck' there is. You might want to check out the Owner's thread.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and at the base price of $1999 USD before shipping or duty that is ~$2500 CAD with the current exchange rate. I will certainly look into them but the added cost and inability to listen to them / return them is a bit of a turn off. I'll take a look in the owner's thread anyway. Thanks for posting, I would never have known about this brand otherwise.
trueimage is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 04-14-2015, 11:40 PM
Senior Member
 
adrummingdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueimage View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and at the base price of $1999 USD before shipping or duty that is ~$2500 CAD with the current exchange rate. I will certainly look into them but the added cost and inability to listen to them / return them is a bit of a turn off. I'll take a look in the owner's thread anyway. Thanks for posting, I would never have known about this brand otherwise.
I'm with you in that I personally would never buy speakers I haven't first auditioned. Sure, that limits your choices to gear you have local access to, but it's well worth it IMO.

A lot of guys on this forum like to praise the ID companies, but the reality of it is that $2500 is a lot to spend on something someone else likes, while you may not. A quick perusal of ebay or audiogon will yield a metric ton of "everyone else liked it, so why didn't I?" gear for sale.

Do Salk Songtowers sound good? Probably, as they have plenty of fans...none of which have your ears in your room though.

Back to the topic at hand, just about any floor stander in your price range will be a quality speaker, so just start listening to a few of them. Have you considered electrostats? Martin Logan makes their panels in Canada I believe, and they all sound sweet. Look at the Electromotion ESL.

Also, for ~$1500 US per pair, the Bowers & Wilkins 683 S2 is very well regarded, and much more refined than the previous S1 version...plus, there's a B&W dealer it seems on every corner, so they should be easy to audition.

B&W CM9 S2, B&W CMC2 S2, DefTech XTR-20BP, SVS SB-2000, Parasound Halo A21, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Samsung UN55F8000, Apple Mac Mini, Iomega NAS
adrummingdude is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 04-15-2015, 01:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueimage View Post
Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my speakers in my condo. I have a 2 floor condo with 1 person below my main floor and no one above or on 3 sides. I have decided a subwoofer is probably a bad idea, at least for now (replacing floors, might look at adding a layer of soundproofing in future)

area is 9 foot ceilings, hard wood, two large windows, open concept into kitchen, and about 450 sq ft

Current setup is just 3.0:
Marantz SR7008
Athena AS B2.2 fronts
Athena AS C1.2 center
didn't bother connecting surrounds in this new place as I'm thinking of putting them in-wall/in-ceiling later

I want to get some good floorstanding speakers and a matching center with good range and some low end to make up for no subwoofer as much as possible.

I went and listened to some Paradigm Monitor 11 v7 and a Center 1 v7 (he said it should match with a Center 3 v7) and the sound was very very good with lots of bass.

My budget is I think around that price range which is about $2700 CAD plus tax for those 3, but I MIGHT stretch and go for the Studio 60s if they sound a lot better.

Any other recommendations or advice in this range would be excellent.

Thanks
In Canada, Totem is a good choice.
RayGuy is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
trueimage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
In Canada, Totem is a good choice.
My closest store is this one http://www.kandwaudio.com/products/speakers/

They carry many brands. Is there a Totem model that you'd recommend that would be in the same ballpark as the Paradigm Monitor 11
trueimage is offline  
post #7 of 8 Unread Yesterday, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueimage View Post
My closest store is this one http://www.kandwaudio.com/products/speakers/

They carry many brands. Is there a Totem model that you'd recommend that would be in the same ballpark as the Paradigm Monitor 11
Hawk and Forest bookend your price range, so I would start there. Actually, after seeing what that store has to offer, there are a number of good speaker companies represented. If it were me, I would bring along a broad selection of well known music on cd, vinyl, or high res digital (no MP3) and expect to spend many hours just listening to all the options they have to offer within your price range and a few above (to see what your money will and won't buy). Once you find one or more speakers that you like, go for a second round of more in-depth listening (preferably on another day). Then, get an in-home demo before you make your final selection.

In addition to the Totem, give a listen to Snell, Martin Logan, Def Tech (Mythos), and PSB. That will give you a feel for many different sound signatures, all well executed. Some will appeal to your ears, some won't. That's a typical experience, and you will learn a bit about your likes and dislikes by the wide variety of options.

Patience is a virtue when buying speakers. It is an iterative process and you will find that what appeals to you one day, may not on another. As Spock would say, "It's not logical, but it is often true."!

Last edited by RayGuy; Yesterday at 04:14 PM.
RayGuy is offline  
post #8 of 8 Unread Today, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,819
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Dynaudio DM3/7, Revel F12, Focal 726, monitor audio silver 6 or 8

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
NaimUniti 2, Marantz SR7007, 55" Panasonic Plasma
callas01 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off