Looking forward to build HT in $1000-$1500 range - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By UGAd13
  • 2 Post By darthray
  • 1 Post By imsatasia
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-24-2015, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
imsatasia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Looking forward to build HT in $1000-$1500 range

Hi All,

I have ONKYO HTiB THX9400 7.1 and now, I'm looking forward to build my full blown HT in range of $1000-$1500 (may be little more ).

I have 42 inch LG LED TV, BenQ HT-series HT1075 Projector, XBox One, Google ChromeCast.

I will be using this system for:
- Movie - 40%
- Gaming - 20%
- Music - 30%
- Other - 10%

I live in apartment and this system will be part of my living room for atleast a year (next year I'm planning to buy a house and I would like to use this system).

Before I start buying, I would like to get suggestions from members of this forum:

Receiver (1): Denon X3100 - $500-$600 (I can get this on deal for around $600) - open for suggestions
Front (2): $300 - no idea what to buy
Center (1):$200 - no idea what to buy
Sub (1 or 2): $400-$500 - no idea what to buy

Surround (2 or 4): I can wait and add max $1000 budget for this speakers next year.

Looking forward for some great suggestions

Thanks in advance!
imsatasia is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 04-25-2015, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
UGAd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsatasia View Post
I live in apartment and this system will be part of my living room for atleast a year (next year I'm planning to buy a house and I would like to use this system).
Save your $$$ and buy the house first. Owning a home is way more expensive than you'd think.
RLBURNSIDE and shadyJ like this.

My living room budget build: Samsung PN51E530 / Denon AVR1613 / DefTech PC1000 / DefTech PM60 / DefTech ProSub 60 / Dayton Sub1200
UGAd13 is online now  
post #3 of 15 Old 04-25-2015, 09:12 AM
Member
 
kraze98nyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds like you have a decent setup right now!

I don't think you are going to see huge improvements in the $1500 range for a complete setup over your ONKYO HTiB THX9400. If you truely are going to buy a house, I would save the money for the house AND save up a bigger budget for the home theater.

Emotiva XMC1 - Emotiva XPA2 - Emotiva XPA5 - 2 x GE Triton Two - GE Supersat 60c - 4 x GE Supersat 3 - 2 x Powersound XS30se - Epson 5030UBe - Dalite High Power
kraze98nyc is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 04-25-2015, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsatasia View Post
Hi All,

I have ONKYO HTiB THX9400 7.1 and now, I'm looking forward to build my full blown HT in range of $1000-$1500 (may be little more ).

I have 42 inch LG LED TV, BenQ HT-series HT1075 Projector, XBox One, Google ChromeCast.

I will be using this system for:
- Movie - 40%
- Gaming - 20%
- Music - 30%
- Other - 10%

I live in apartment and this system will be part of my living room for atleast a year (next year I'm planning to buy a house and I would like to use this system).

Before I start buying, I would like to get suggestions from members of this forum:

Receiver (1): Denon X3100 - $500-$600 (I can get this on deal for around $600) - open for suggestions
Front (2): $300 - no idea what to buy
Center (1):$200 - no idea what to buy
Sub (1 or 2): $400-$500 - no idea what to buy

Surround (2 or 4): I can wait and add max $1000 budget for this speakers next year.

Looking forward for some great suggestions

Thanks in advance!

Here's some suggestion if you do your surrounds later.


For the main
http://emptek.com/r5bi.php
Center
http://emptek.com/r5ci.php
Sub
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-1000
or
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk2.html
or
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html


Later for your surrounds, you can go the same as the main or if budget is tight, their little brother
http://emptek.com/e3b.php


I have not heard any of these, but they got good review and good following on these forums
Good luck in your search.


Ray
Transmaniacon and dsrussell like this.

Last edited by darthray; 04-25-2015 at 09:56 PM.
darthray is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 04-26-2015, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
imsatasia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Exclamation

Thank you all for quick reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13 View Post
Save your $$$ and buy the house first. Owning a home is way more expensive than you'd think.
I know, right

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraze98nyc View Post
Sounds like you have a decent setup right now!

I don't think you are going to see huge improvements in the $1500 range for a complete setup over your ONKYO HTiB THX9400. If you truely are going to buy a house, I would save the money for the house AND save up a bigger budget for the home theater.
My budget for building HT System is around $2500 by next year. What do you recommend?


Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Here's some suggestion if you do your surrounds later.

For the main
http://emptek.com/r5bi.php
Center
http://emptek.com/r5ci.php
Sub
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-1000
or
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk2.html
or
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

Later for your surrounds, you can go the same as the main or if budget is tight, their little brother
http://emptek.com/e3b.php

I have not heard any of these, but they got good review and good following on these forums
Good luck in your search.


Ray
Looks good to me, any other suggestions? I can setup 3.1 right now and add few speakers later too

How is "Yamaha RX-V677" compare to Denon X3100W? Its on sale for $379 right now on Amazon.com.
imsatasia is online now  
post #6 of 15 Old 04-26-2015, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 3,112
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 946
I think starting with a 3.1 system first is wise. Look for the best subwoofer you can afford.

I agree with darthray’s recommendation. I own the R5Bi’s and can highly recommend them. However, they have been out of stock since December, so check to see when they will be available.

Andrew Robinson's video review:

Other speakers worth looking at:

$318 / pair to $378 / pair ($50 shipping) Hsu HB-1 Mk2 bookshelf speaker: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html I did audition these and thought they were a solid speaker

$319 - $349 / pair (check on shipping) HTD Level THREE bookshelf speaker: http://www.htd.com/Products/level-th...shelf-Speakers I have not auditioned these, but have heard good things about them

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
dsrussell is online now  
post #7 of 15 Old 04-26-2015, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,545
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsatasia View Post
Looks good to me, any other suggestions? I can setup 3.1 right now and add few speakers later too

How is "Yamaha RX-V677" compare to Denon X3100W? Its on sale for $379 right now on Amazon.com.
The JBL Studio 2 series is on sale >

Studio 230 bookshelf
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-230...o+230+speakers

Studio 235 center
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-235...o+235+speakers

With Yamaha, I would buy from the 10XX up
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-A103...amaha+receiver

However, for a tight budget - most people would spend under $500 on a receiver.

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

Last edited by zieglj01; 04-26-2015 at 06:57 PM.
zieglj01 is online now  
post #8 of 15 Old 04-28-2015, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
imsatasia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm really liked:
For the main
http://emptek.com/r5bi.php
Center
http://emptek.com/r5ci.php
Sub
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-1000
But, now I'm confused in which receiver to buy?
dsrussell likes this.
imsatasia is online now  
post #9 of 15 Old 04-28-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsatasia View Post
I'm really liked:
For the main
http://emptek.com/r5bi.php
Center
http://emptek.com/r5ci.php
Sub
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-1000
But, now I'm confused in which receiver to buy?

Good solid choices for your budget


Unfortunately, I cannot make a recommendation since I have been out of the receiver game for such a long time.


However I do have a few tip on how to choose one.
Stay within your budget, look for sale (last year model can save you lots of money), one with the least bell and whistle since in theory it should get you more power.


Hopefully other members with more current knowledge about receiver will chime-in.


Ray

Last edited by darthray; 04-28-2015 at 08:33 PM.
darthray is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 04-28-2015, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 3,112
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsatasia View Post
I'm really liked:
For the main
http://emptek.com/r5bi.php
Center
http://emptek.com/r5ci.php
Sub
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-1000
But, now I'm confused in which receiver to buy?
For AVRs, take a look at the following website: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ceivers/1.html These are factory refurbished models which can save you quite a bit of money. Just look at the models that have the features you’re looking for.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
dsrussell is online now  
post #11 of 15 Old 04-28-2015, 07:45 PM
Senior Member
 
burnsniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: On a creek
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Start with a Denon e300 or e400 form Accessories4Less plus SVS PB 1000. This should leave $800-900 for speakers,

For Speakers I would suggest 3.1 or 4.1 (phantom center):

Option 1 (3.1):
2 x Klipsch Rb61 ii = $350
1 x Kiplisch Rc62 ii = $350
Utilize left over funds for stands

Option 2 (3.1):
2 x Klipsch Rf62 ii = $600
1 x Kiplisch Rc62 ii = $350
$50 over budget

Option 3 (4.1):
4 x Klipsch Rb61 ii = $700
Utilize left over funds on stands or try to pick up a single Rb61 ii for 5.1

Option 4 (4.1):
Open Box KEF Q300 x 4: $940
$40 over budget

Note the Klipsch speakers are in clearance several places including Amazon and th KEF are available on Accessories4Less. Also, the KEG likely have better imaging for use as a Phantom Center due to their design.
burnsniper is online now  
post #12 of 15 Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
imsatasia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I finally got my new Denon X3100w for $499 from Frys

I really liked EMPTek R5Bi.

But, I noticed that SVS have Prime Satellite 5.1 system for $999.99 including SB1000 (AVS Review).

Any senior member here recommend getting 5.1 from SVS (I can ask SVS if they can swap SB1000 with PB1000)?

or

Get EMPTek R5Bi and R5Ci with SVS PB1000?


Thank you!
imsatasia is online now  
post #13 of 15 Old Today, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 3,112
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsatasia View Post
I finally got my new Denon X3100w for $499 from Frys

I really liked EMPTek R5Bi.

But, I noticed that SVS have Prime Satellite 5.1 system for $999.99 including SB1000 (AVS Review).

Any senior member here recommend getting 5.1 from SVS (I can ask SVS if they can swap SB1000 with PB1000)?

or

Get EMPTek R5Bi and R5Ci with SVS PB1000?


Thank you!
Don't get confused on the $999 system. These are 5 satellite speakers and a sub. The Prime satellites have 4-1/2" drivers and are not the Prime bookshelf speakers with 6-1/2" drivers. Of course, it's your choice to make, but the R5Bi would probably be superior to the SVS bookshelf speakers, and certainly superior to the satellites. That's my best guess (I haven't auditioned the SVS Primes).

Note: SVS has free shipping both ways, so it wouldn't cost you anything (after your rebate) to try them out. The R5Bi's cost $25 / pair for shipping to return them during their trial period.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.

Last edited by dsrussell; Today at 12:58 AM.
dsrussell is online now  
post #14 of 15 Unread Today, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
imsatasia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Don't get confused on the $999 system. These are 5 satellite speakers and a sub. The Prime satellites have 4-1/2" drivers and are not the Prime bookshelf speakers with 6-1/2" drivers. Of course, it's your choice to make, but the R5Bi would probably be superior to the SVS bookshelf speakers, and certainly superior to the satellites. That's my best guess (I haven't auditioned the SVS Primes).

Note: SVS has free shipping both ways, so it wouldn't cost you anything (after your rebate) to try them out. The R5Bi's cost $25 / pair for shipping to return them during their trial period.

Thank you dsrussell for your input.

I think, I will stick with 4 * R5Bi.

Do you recommend 1 * R5Ci or 1* R56Ci ?
imsatasia is online now  
post #15 of 15 Unread Today, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 3,112
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsatasia View Post
Thank you dsrussell for your input.

I think, I will stick with 4 * R5Bi.

Do you recommend 1 * R5Ci or 1* R56Ci ?
I prefer the R5Bi as a center channel (I prefer identical speaker all around). But the R5Ci is what is normal with the R5Bi's, while the R56Ci is normally purchased with the R55Ti towers. You'd be better off with the R5Ci or R5Bi because the drivers are identical (the R56Ci uses identical drivers as the R55Ti towers). But I would NOT order all at once. I would order just the R5Bi's (one pair) and try them out FIRST. If you don't love their sound, ship them back within 30 days. If you do want them, then get the rest of the speakers. The last thing I want is to have you order all those speakers, not like them, then pay all that shipping back (you'd be looking at around $75 to ship all 5 speakers back).

Now, with SVS you could order all of them since they pay the return shipping. The SVS Prime surrounds are smaller (as I stated), but that doesn't mean they won't sound good. SVS doesn't make speakers or subs that don't sound good .

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
dsrussell is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off