AVS Forum banner

Ultra low frequency sound through Klipsch 5.1 System

553 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  tezster 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Today, I played an ultra low bass frequency sweep (from 1 to 35 Hz) through my Klipsch system. The test was played through YouTube at

Have I unknowingly damaged my system? :( My system consists of

2 RF-800 (front towers)
1 RC-500 (center speaker)
2 RS-400 (surround sounds)
1 Synergy Sub-12 Subwoofer

The AVR is the Yamaha rx v575. If I did damage the speakers, what would be the symptoms? Is it subtle or obvious?

I'm quite worried. I welcome all feedback.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Largely depends on the volume you did this at.

Doing it once it not likely to damage your system only way to tell is do some normal listening to TV or music and see if there is any sound difference. If your system sounds substansally different than you have damaged your speakers.

#7 ·
Thankfully, I had my cross over frequency set to 80 hz, with all speakers set to small. My understanding is this configuration protected the speakers from potential damage.

Also, I just tested the system with the elephant scene from LOTR-Return of the King at a very loud volume, and everything sounded as it should so I lucked out this time haha

Thanks for the feedback!

#3 ·
If you have already run YPAO, and your speakers have been set to small (which I believe is the default), then all the frequencies below the configured crossover will be directed to the sub. So the speakers won't even "see" those test tones. As for the sub, most commercial subs should have fault protection circuitry which prevents it from playing signals which could potentially damage the driver/amp.

#6 ·
If you are bored, then do something else!

If they sound distorted or strange and make noise - then you may have a problem

However if the volume was not real loud - or crossover set to the sub to play them
lower notes - then you should be fine.

If you are bored and want to play - then buy some cheap Dayton speakers and mess
with them.:)
Thankfully, all my speakers were set to small and the AVR's cross over frequency was set to 80 hz:). This means that the worst case scenario is a destroyed subwoofer since all sound below 80 hz is routed to the subwoofer. Would this be a correct interpretation?

tezster you mentioned that most commercial subs have fault protection circuitry. If my Synergy Sub-12 has this circuit and it was activated, would the subwoofer simply turn off?

You're absolutely right zieglj01! - should not have experimented on the system like that. The funny thing is that I actually have some cheap speakers lying around which are perfect for this type of testing haha...

Thanks for the feedback thus far - much appreciated!

#4 ·
What makes you think you have damaged your speakers?

#5 ·
Today, I played an ultra low bass frequency sweep (from 1 to 35 Hz) through my Klipsch system.
The AVR is the Yamaha rx v575. If I did damage the speakers, what would be the symptoms? Is it subtle or obvious?

I'm quite worried. I welcome all feedback.
If you are bored, then do something else!

If they sound distorted or strange and make noise - then you may have a problem

However if the volume was not real loud - or crossover set to the sub to play them
lower notes - then you should be fine.

If you are bored and want to play - then buy some cheap Dayton speakers and mess
with them.:)

#8 ·
if you want to really check things out try
audiocheck.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.