Speaker Setup in Garage - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old Today, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Speaker Setup in Garage

I recently upgraded my 5.1 home theater speakers and want to re-purpose my old ones in the garage. I do a lot of woodworking and just need something to listen to music while I work. I need it to sound decent, but definitely not audiophile quality. The garage is a 3-car, 30' x 22' with a 10' ceiling. Also, I want to do this on the cheap. A garage has got to be the worst environment when it comes to sound quality and I'm using old crappy speakers anyway. All I want is to be able to hear the music at a conservative volume, I won't be trying to get the music louder than my tablesaw or planer.

The 5 main speakers are Kenwood KS-303HT, rated at 80W, 8 Ohms. The Sub is a Sony SA-W2500 Powered Sub with speaker lever inputs and outputs.

The receiver I am looking at is an Insignia NS-STR514 2-CH 200W with A and B Speaker outputs, about $100. The manual says there is an "AB" mode so apparently both pairs of outputs can be run simultaneously, but I assume there is a power drop if done so, probably 50W per channel instead of 100W.

My question is what is the best way to hook these up, both from a wiring aspect and physical speaker position? I am not necessarily looking to use all of these speakers, especially the 5th (center) speaker. I definitely want to use the sub though, because the speakers have virtually no low-end.

It seems the simplest way is to use only two of the speakers and the sub, connecting the receiver's A channel to the speaker level input on the sub, then output from the sub to the two main speakers, one on either end of the garage. Will I gain anything by using 4 speakers + Sub? and if so, How would I wire this, Series or Parallel?

I have a very basic understanding of the difference between running Series vs Parallel when using identical speakers, but what does the sub do to the power coming from the receiver? Or in a different way, how do the sub and speakers share the power when hooked up to the sub's output rather than directly to the receiver's output? If the receiver puts out 100W per channel, does the sub consume some of this and pass the rest on to the speakers, or does it just use its own amp and send all 100W to the speakers?

Thanks,
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Today, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbauer View Post

If the receiver puts out 100W per channel, does the sub consume some of this and pass the rest on to the speakers, or does it just use its own amp and send all 100W to the speakers?
Yes, and yes (almost).

There's little information on this sub, but I would expect it sends on a high-pass filtered version of the signal to the speakers.

---

Test:

Wire one speaker directly, the other through the sub.

Listen, and see if you notice a power deficit in the one going through the sub.

You may hear a lack of the lowest frequencies in the one going through the sub, so if you can, use higher frequency source material or test signal.

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest > Sweetspot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page