AVS Forum banner

Klipsch RF-82 II with RP-440C

12K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  troyh4 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
That depends. Do you have the Reference I or II fronts or the Reference Premiere fronts?

The RP-440C is less tall by 2", but is 3" wider and 0.5" deeper than the RC-62II. It also has a good bit less cone area. The RP-440c is rear ported so if it's going to be extremely near a wall or in an enclosed cabinet that could affect the sound.

RP-440C: 50.28 (in2) ---- (4) 4" drivers
RC-62II: 66.36 (in2) ----- (2) 6.5" drivers
RP-450C: 82.28 (in2) ---- (4) 5.25" drivers {total cone area is like 2 7.25" drivers though}

As you can see, the RP-450c uses smaller 5.25" drivers compared to the 62II's 6.5" drivers, but the total cone are is more in the RP-450C. Less in the RP-440c. You've got a few different things that likely change the sound signature of the speaker..even if it's slight. I personally like the crossing 5.25" drivers into the tweeter over 6.5's, but that's just me. In theory you should have better dispersion even with the lower x-over at 1500hz (not sure of slope).

#5 ·
#14 ·
I ordered an RP-450C and two RB-51 IIs. I'll post a review after they arrive and a suitable break-in period. Thanks for the advice.
So I thought I would post a review of the setup mentioned just above - a Klipsch RP-450C flanked by two RB-51 IIs, and two in ceiling 8" Polk speakers for the rears.

It's a very good, minimalist setup if you want to set your TV on top of your center speaker. The RP-450C is large and well-constructed. The base coverage on movies is excellent for a setup without a sub - the 4 5.25s extend lower that I thought they would. The soundstage is wide and imaging is good. Also important, the dispersion from the center is very, very good.

The one caution I would provide, and I knew this going in, is that switching to music that relies more heavily on the LR speakers will leave you a bit disappointed if you rely on the RB-51 IIs. If you can fit them, which I could not, I'd upsize the LR Front speakers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.