SVS PB2000, Pioneer Andrew Jones - Is this going to Work? Please help!! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-10-2015, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy SVS PB2000, Pioneer Andrew Jones - Is this going to Work? Please help!!

hi Guys,I'm new this forum & home theater world been researching various speaker options that suit my family room in the newly bought home.
I used to live in a 1 Bed room apartment and Sony CT - HT260H 2.1 sound bar worked well for me so far. But the room(family room, breakfast area, kitchen in same room) in my new home is much bigger(35'L,15'W,10'H) and I really want to go for a true 7.1 system this time. I like loud sound with good bass.
The room is a rectangle with family room on one end , break fast area to the center & kitchen at the other end. Kitchen and Breakfast area opens to the main hall. Actual family room area size is 15'L,15'W,10'H.
Family room is pre-wired for 5.1 surround. But all 5 speakers are in the ceiling. I plan to use only the rear speakers from the pre-wire set up. My budget is $2000 including receiver. Mostly I watch movies and TV shows (90%) occasionally listening to music (10%)
After lot of research I have decided on the following:
Receiver - ONKYO TX NR 626 7.2 ($300)(Don't want to spend too much on receiver)
Subwoofer - SVS PB-2000 ($800) (I've read lot of good things about this sub so I made up my mind to buy)
Speakers - 2 x PIONEER Andrew Jones FS52 LR Floor standing ($250)
1 x PIONEER Andrew Jones C22 Center Channel ($100)
2 x PIONEER Andrew Jones BS22 LR Book shelf Surround ($250)
2 x PIONEER Andrew Jones BS22 LR Book shelf Rear($250) (Planning to mount these in the ceiling as I don't want to put them behind sofa)

Is this set up going to work? I read in the forums that if speaker impedance doesn't match with receiver's, it won't be good. Is that true? I see all these Pioneers are 6 Ohm. Should I go ahead with this set up or should I switch to another set of speakers with 8 Ohm impedance?
Do you guys have any suggestions regarding the speakers? Are there any better sounding speakers than PIONEERS in this price range?
Appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-10-2015, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDD View Post
hi Guys,I'm new this forum & home theater world been researching various speaker options that suit my family room in the newly bought home.
I used to live in a 1 Bed room apartment and Sony CT - HT260H 2.1 sound bar worked well for me so far. But the room(family room, breakfast area, kitchen in same room) in my new home is much bigger(35'L,15'W,10'H) and I really want to go for a true 7.1 system this time. I like loud sound with good bass.
The room is a rectangle with family room on one end , break fast area to the center & kitchen at the other end. Kitchen and Breakfast area opens to the main hall. Actual family room area size is 15'L,15'W,10'H.
Family room is pre-wired for 5.1 surround. But all 5 speakers are in the ceiling. I plan to use only the rear speakers from the pre-wire set up. My budget is $2000 including receiver. Mostly I watch movies and TV shows (90%) occasionally listening to music (10%)
Subwoofer - SVS PB-2000 ($800) (I've read lot of good things about this sub so I made up my mind to buy)
2 x PIONEER Andrew Jones BS22 LR Book shelf Rear($250) (Planning to mount these in the ceiling as I don't want to put them behind sofa)

Is this set up going to work? I read in the forums that if speaker impedance doesn't match with receiver's, it won't be good. Is that true? I see all these Pioneers are 6 Ohm. Should I go ahead with this set up or should I switch to another set of speakers with 8 Ohm impedance?
Do you guys have any suggestions regarding the speakers? Are there any better sounding speakers than PIONEERS in this price range?
Appreciate your help.

Why not, you spend money on a good sub and budget speaker that have good reviews for their price
When budget alloy it, up-grade the speakers and the sub is a keeper.

6 Ohm's should not be a problem to drive with any modern AVR.

Ray
post #3 of 11 Old 05-10-2015, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:

Appreciate your help.
Your Onkyo seems like a very nice choice and has a lot going for it. It should drive the Pioneers without problem. Enjoy.

The PB-2000 is a solid sub. But your room is 5,250 cu. ft. That is considered an extreme room for a subwoofer. The good thing about SVS is their 45 day trial and free shipping. See how it works, and if it isn’t enough sub (I don’t think it will be), then send it back and try another sub (or get a second PB-2000).

Regarding the Andrew Jones modifications. You might want to consider Dennis Murphy’s modifications at Philharmonic Audio. It’s a little more money, but Dennis has changed the tweeter, reworked the crossover and packed the speakers with more dampening material. It’s suppose to be a significant improvement to a pretty good speaker.

$275 / pair (shipping extra) Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy tower speakers: http://philharmonicaudio.com/ and http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html
$175 / pair (shipping extra) Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy bookshelf speakers: http://philharmonicaudio.com/ and http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Another option would be EMP Tek (which I’m very high on):

$225 / pair (includes shipping) EMP Tek R5Bi bookshelf speaker (formally E5Bi): http://emptek.com/r5bi.php (I own these)
Andrew Robinson review: http://hometheaterreview.com/emp-tek...aker-reviewed/

Anyway, no matter what you choose, I think you’ll have an excellent system that should give you enjoyment for years to come.
Transmaniacon likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-10-2015, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
The Pioneer SP speakers are a solid buy at their price. I think a good alternative would be the Infinity Primus p163 bookshelf speakers and the c351 center speaker. I think the overall system cost would be about the same but the Infinity center speaker is definitely a lot more powerful, and looks to be a step up. And since you are not going to be taking advantage of the tower speaker's bass extension, might as well save some money and get bookshelf speakers for the front left and right. The Infinity system makes more sense to me. Use some p153s for surrounds for a system like that - they have keyholes on the back for easy mounting.

For the sub, yeah the PB2000 is good, but for just a little more you can get the Hsu VTF3 mk5 which will majorly outperform the PB2000. I had the chance to hear one of these recently, and wow! I think one of those would be able to outperform the PB12 Plus without much of a problem, let alone a PB2000.

As for the receiver, I get that you don't want to spend a lot here, but the Onkyo receivers are not built to last. You are basically buying a disposable AVR. Since its cheap, no big deal (except for the environmental cost of junk electronics), but don't be surprised if it only lasts a few years. If you want a longer lasting AVR, you might consider buying something with pre-outs and then buying some separate amplifiers down the road. That should make for a much longer lasting system.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-11-2015, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Thumbs up Good Job!!!

Finally a person who spends their money correctly!!!The HSU VTF-3 Mk5 might have more bass performance than the SVS. But you would have to pay return shipping if you don't like it. Might want to start with the SVS PB2000 and if that is not enough go for the HSU since SVS has the 45 day risk free in home trial where they pay shipping both ways.
darthray likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-11-2015, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Also at some point your budget is your budget...Submersives would be better than the HSU sub for only a "little bit" more money too...just a little bit more becomes a rabbit hole without a bottom lol and its easy to be convinced to spend more money around here Stick with what you have selected and if you don't like it then upgrade.
gene4ht likes this.

Front L&R: Polk RTi A3 (cherry finish)
Center: Polk CSi A6 (cherry finish)
Surrounds: Polk FXi A6 (black finish)
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V673
TV: 55" LCD
post #7 of 11 Old 05-11-2015, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 133
It appears you've done your homework and just looking for opinions and confirmation from others. The choices you've made are excellent and most importantly fit within your budget. If you ask, you will always get the "for a little bit more" response. The first key here is that this hobby is a continuous "work in progress" and up-grade-itis is the norm. The second key is the only important opinion comes from your own ears. Your choices are solid IMO...go for it. Once you have your setup in place, you will have a baseline for moving forward as your tastes and budget dictate/allow. Welcome and enjoy!

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR809, TX-NR636
Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-52 II. MICCA: M-8C
SVS: PB-2000 x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
post #8 of 11 Old 05-11-2015, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
Finally a person who spends their money correctly!!!The HSU VTF-3 Mk5 might have more bass performance than the SVS. But you would have to pay return shipping if you don't like it. Might want to start with the SVS PB2000 and if that is not enough go for the HSU since SVS has the 45 day risk free in home trial where they pay shipping both ways.
Why settle for a lesser sub? Just because you can send it back without penalty? The cost difference between them is negligible, and the Hsu will blow the doors off the SVS sub. But since there is no cost to return the SVS sub, I would say to the OP, get them both and compare them side by side. You will end up keeping the Hsu anyway, but at least you can see how the PB2000 compares without penalty. Might as well throw in a PSA sub too, since they have free return shipping, the Hsu will outperform it as well.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-11-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Appreciate your help.
Not a bad choice

6 ohms is not a problem

Be careful about asking some questions - because your head may be spinning
by the end of the day.
dsrussell likes this.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #10 of 11 Old 05-11-2015, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks very much guys for your replies. From your replies it looks like I have a pretty decent set up.I will do some more research based on your suggestions and decide the final set up.
I will have to stick to $2000 budget and wait for future upgrade.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-11-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Thanks very much guys for your replies. From your replies it looks like I have a pretty decent set up.I will do some more research based on your suggestions and decide the final set up.
I will have to stick to $2000 budget and wait for future upgrade.

Good on you
As the other members mention, there is always something better and a little bit more, and they are very fine choices.
In this hobby it can become an expensive addiction

Stick to your budget and do your upgrade later.
You are starting with a nice system and it is not race, so enjoy.

I always tell people to spend as much as they can (within reason) for the first system, lot's of time the end-user are happy enough and never look back, for others it become a sickness
If in the future you do an upgrade, you will enjoy and appreciate your new toy even more.

Ray
Reply Speakers
Gear in this thread - PB2000, by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page