AVS Forum banner

ELAC Opens North American Design Facility Headed by Andrew Jones

Tags
elac fiio
39K views 503 replies 113 participants last post by  bobdevellis 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I had mentioned in the Pioneer Speaker thread that Andrew and I had left Pioneer and were starting a new project. And I had mentioned that we would update everyone with what we were doing once we could. Below is the press release that went out today announcing our new project. Products will be announced at THE Show Newport at the end of the month.

Thanks,

Chris Walker
VP Product Development
ELAC America

North American Contact: Chris Walker
cwalker@elac.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ELAC COMES TO NORTH AMERICA WITH NEW SPEAKER LINE DESIGNED BY ANDREW JONES

Kiel, Germany, May 13th, 2015 — Internationally renowned speaker designer Andrew Jones joins ELAC to create the ELAC DebutTM speaker series, the first of many series planned. The introduction coincides with ELAC’s return to North America with an exhibit at T.H.E. Show Newport in Irvine, Calif., May 29-31, 2015.

“ELAC is pleased to bring Andrew Jones on board, as the company expands into a global market with products that establish benchmarks for performance and quality at every price point and in every category of the consumer audio market,” says Gunter Kürten, managing director of the 89-year old company.

Designed in ELAC’s new Southern California design facility, ELAC Debut series redefines affordable speakers with eight models, including bookshelf, floorstanding, center-channel and Dolby Atmos®-enabled speakers, complemented by three powered subwoofers.

“My design objective was to achieve the most accurate sound possible in speakers that deliver performance far exceeding their cost,” said Jones. “I’ve employed materials and design specifications not found in speakers in this price range. From cone materials to driver geometry to subwoofer amplification, we built serious value into the Debut series,”.

Industry veteran Andrew Jones’ 35-year career includes a portfolio of award winning loudspeakers. Jones previous positions included Chief Speaker Engineer at Pioneer Electronics, Technical Audio Devices (TAD), KEF and Infinity.

ABOUT ELAC
For more than 80 years, ELAC has built innovative products that deliver superior performance and value, driven by a commitment to making the best sound in the world. Today, ELAC offers a wide range of speaker products, including active, wireless and custom install models. ELAC has earned its reputation—from the beginning—with advanced technology, uncompromised build quality and modern European style.

ELAC. The life of sound.

See less See more
#3 ·
Looking forward to see what ELAC brings to the market, AJ really knocked it out of the park with the Pioneer budget series.

#5 ·
Very cool. I had my eye on a pair of ELAC monitors for a desktop speaker setup but ultimately went another route. Looking forward to see what you guys come out with.

#8 ·
I'm really glad to see both of you back in the game so quickly!

I didn't even know Elac had an American presence. I've only seen Elac speakers in Germany and Austria. Or are you just now brining the brand here?

All the best with it, and I do hope the line includes some new magic concentric drivers at some point!

#11 ·
Kiel, Germany, May 13th, 2015 — Internationally renowned speaker designer Andrew Jones joins ELAC to create the ELAC DebutTM speaker series, the first of many series planned. The introduction coincides with ELAC’s return to North America with an exhibit at T.H.E. Show Newport in Irvine, Calif., May 29-31, 2015.
Interesting. Looks like I have something else to look forward to at the Irvine show. Thanks for posting.

#13 ·
Hi,

I have heard ELAC speakers at a number of shows & was always extremely impressed with them - very distinct drivers & their Jet Tweeter is supposed to be very special. I was surprised they did not have much of a North American presence but hopefully now, that will change - expecting even better things from ELAC in the future with the collaboration!

Suave!

#24 ·
If you want the AVS crowd then you need to have Andrew design a slim sealed box speaker that can go in a baffle wall and reach 105dB peaks at 13ft. And it should only cost $1500 or less. For spatial audio compatibility you need to ensure you have a timbre matched surround solution, preferably using speakers with identical drivers for ceiling and walls. Surround and ceiling speakers should be wide dispersion designs.

#26 ·
I got a chance to attend the ELAC Demo yesterday..and all I can say is...WOW..Andrew has done it again.
I got a chance to listen to there B5 speakers..they are a Bookshelf speaker with a 5" driver....amazing imaging and low frequency response....all for just $229 a pair.

Get ready for a great experiance.

RayJr

#27 ·
Might need to get myself a pair of these, I bet they are going to be top contenders in this price range.

#31 ·
Yeah that would make for a nice showdown, I don't have any of the JBLs, but I would throw in my NHT SuperZero's just to see how things compare, definitely keeping an eye on these. I mean I totally need more speakers... :rolleyes:

#33 ·
They are some good looking speakers, also that 12" sub seems like it could be a nice choice for music depending on the price.

I have been waiting for EMP to release their new sub, but they have been saying it will be out any day for now for months, so my impatience might get the better of me here :D

#34 ·
Hi All,

Are the debut series the only range ELAC plan to launch in the USA? I ask as I am surprised that have not introduced any models with their legendary Jet Tweeter that has amassed so much acclaim here in Europe & elsewhere, especially in Japan I understand.

I also believe that even some US/NA brands use it in some of their higher end line ups?

Bazzy!

#42 ·
I am hoping there will be a 10 inch version with highpass outs for my 2 ch rig. I love the fact that it has built in EQ and the bluetooth is a nice bonus. The only other sub I was considering that meets my needs is the Velo DD10 plus but at a high cost.

Reactions: zieglj01
#48 ·
One of the more popular exhibits at “The Show” was ELAC. There was high praise about these inexpensive speakers when walking the halls. I had several people stop me and talked about the ELAC. When I entered, the room was filled, so I stood well off-axis and wasn’t too impressed, but knew I had to come back. Later in the day I returned and actually got a seat. While I won’t say this has the biggest or deepest soundstage that I’ve heard from an inexpensive bookshelf speaker, these ELACs had a lot going for them, including a very nice midrange. It’s nice to see a well-rounded speaker this inexpensive perform above its price point. It’s also nice to be able to recommend another inexpensive, but capable bookshelf speaker for people on a budget. And while they won’t win any beauty contests (more utilitarian than bland), I can see many people really enjoying their overall sound performance. Considering all the low-lights I went to at “The Show”, the ELAC exhibition was a positive one.

Reactions: zieglj01
#49 ·
I can't wait to see what they come up with in the higher price levels.

#54 ·
Big Elac fan here. They had been available in the United States for a few years. there is more dealers in Canada. There are a few dealers in the US. I have owned the FS 247s, FS 249s, and currently own the FS 409s. Excellent speakers and they have the ability to really scale up when you put better gear in front of them. Elac is a very under rated brand, Good to see Elac has hired Andrew Jones and now has a facility in California, should elevate their profile. Very exciting. If the 250.00 speaker sounded really good then the ones up the line that Andrew designs should sound fantastic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.