In-Wall Center in Mantle - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-18-2015, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In-Wall Center in Mantle

I know my setup below is not ideal but I am trying to make the best of it. My current plan is to put DefTech Pro Monitor 1000's as the L/R on the shelves (I know) and DI 5.5R's as the surrounds. The biggest issue is the center channel. Does anyone see any issue putting a DI 5.5LCR inside the mantle? I figured I would hire a carpenter to replace the center board in the mantle with a flat piece of wood with the proper cutout. Also, keeping in the same price range does anyone feel like there are better options for the speakers?

And yes the hardwood and open floor plan are not ideal. There is a large area rug covering most of the floor between the TV and seating. And yes, the TV that high is not ideal however we always sit in a reclined position and it works pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Living Room.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	724370  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-18-2015, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I would mount the tv to the wall and mount the speaker under it using the linked brackets.
http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec...itive+soundbar

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JMWF3AE?psc=1
Cheers, Mac
post #3 of 5 Old 05-19-2015, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

That would certainly be an option but not nearly as nice as a real 5.1 system. Also, putting the speaker under the TV would require the TV to be even higher than it already is. I do plan on mounting the TV mostly to add proper tilt eventually but it is tricky since it needs to extend ~35'' from the wall.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 165
[QUOTE=fsteddie;34337314]That would certainly be an option but not nearly as nice as a real 5.1 system. Also, putting the speaker under the TV would require the TV to be even higher than it already is. I do plan on mounting the TV mostly to add proper tilt eventually but it is tricky since it needs to extend ~35'' from the wall.[/QUOTE

Another option that a lot of people do is just run the LR as phantom and not have a center.

SOUND: Marantz AV-7702 Pre/Pro, McIntosh MC1706 Amp,
(2) Klipsch RF7-II's, (2) Funk Audio 18.0 subs

VIDEO:
Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV, Oppo 103D Blue Ray Player
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Anybody actually have any comments on putting the CC in the mantle? It seems to me that the volume inside the mantle enclosure above the fire place should be plenty to simulate the infinite baffle of a wall. Is there anything incorrect about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page