Episode ceiling speakers - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 10 Unread Yesterday, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Episode ceiling speakers

I just had a company give me an estimate for my HT install estimate. he guy that came insists that the Episode 900 series ceiling speakers will sound every bit as good as tower speakers. Is this true? I am a little hesitant. He said his reason for choosing them, would be to give a much cleaner look. Obviously, the ceiling speakers will look better, but I would rather have a better sound quality. Is it going to be THAT much worse than tower speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Unread Yesterday, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I heard a pair of episode towers a couple months ago. Had an opportunity to buy at 75% off list... I thought they sounded very poor...and that is putting it nicely. I would strongly suggest asking to hear them first.
post #3 of 10 Unread Yesterday, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 66
No matter what speaker you use none of them can change physics and in acoustics placement is important. Also, speakers sound better when aimed at you! Most of the Episode in ceilings do not angle enough to aim at you unless you are sitting very close, the exception is their HT700 which angles about 45 degrees. I don't know of a 900 series in ceiling speaker, could it be the in wall?

If your TV or projector screen is mounted high on the wall and you have in ceiling speakers with a good angle your mind can be tricked into thinking the sound is coming from the screen. Ideally front speakers should be placed at ear height. It is preferred to use floor standers, book shelf speakers on stands, in wall or on wall speakers with better placements than in ceiling models. Plus it is better to have your TV/ screen mounted closer to eye height unless you are fully reclined or lying down like for a bedroom than it should be higher.

I am not up on all the Episode models but they do make some very good sounding speakers. Their older models were not very good but they hired some well respected speaker designers and their newer models have measured and sounded very good. They also have speakers at a lot of different price ranges. I am not too familiar with their new 900 series but their 700 book shelf and tower are great sounding speakers and a good value for the money.
post #4 of 10 Unread Yesterday, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

It could have been the 700 series. He's sending me an estimate with a break down, so I will let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
No matter what speaker you use none of them can change physics and in acoustics placement is important. Also, speakers sound better when aimed at you! Most of the Episode in ceilings do not angle enough to aim at you unless you are sitting very close, the exception is their HT700 which angles about 45 degrees. I don't know of a 900 series in ceiling speaker, could it be the in wall?

If your TV or projector screen is mounted high on the wall and you have in ceiling speakers with a good angle your mind can be tricked into thinking the sound is coming from the screen. Ideally front speakers should be placed at ear height. It is preferred to use floor standers, book shelf speakers on stands, in wall or on wall speakers with better placements than in ceiling models. Plus it is better to have your TV/ screen mounted closer to eye height unless you are fully reclined or lying down like for a bedroom than it should be higher.

I am not up on all the Episode models but they do make some very good sounding speakers. Their older models were not very good but they hired some well respected speaker designers and their newer models have measured and sounded very good. They also have speakers at a lot of different price ranges. I am not too familiar with their new 900 series but their 700 book shelf and tower are great sounding speakers and a good value for the money.
post #5 of 10 Unread Yesterday, 07:52 PM

The better question is what type of room is this? Is it a family or living room where a clean look would be more desirable? Or is it a HT or media type room where looks are not as important and you can get better performance? Are you going with a TV or a projector system? Knowing more about the room might help give a good solution for your situation.
post #6 of 10 Unread Today, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

It's an upstairs bonus room. I'm more concerned about the sound than looks.
post #7 of 10 Unread Today, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The further you get into this hobby, I'm guessing the more you would regret putting in ceiling speakers as your mains.

I'm sure it has been done, but never heard of anyone doing it who is half way serious about the sound and maximizing your enjoyment of music and movies. I suggest using floor mounted R/C/L.
post #8 of 10 Unread Today, 05:01 AM

I would definitely not go in ceilings if this is a bonus room and sound is a bigger priority. Are you going with a TV or projector system?
post #9 of 10 Unread Today, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Projector system.
post #10 of 10 Unread Today, 12:05 PM

Acoustically transparent screen with REAL in wall or baffle wall speakers will give the best performance if budget allows. Plus it will have a clean look!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page