L/R mains + Center channel speaker advise? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-25-2015, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
L/R mains + Center channel speaker advise?

Thanks in advance for chiming in and offering advise.

Here's my dilemma -

I just purchased a Denon X2100w receiver to replace my old Onkyo TX-SR508 receiver and I want to give my Onkyo receiver to my sister and her husband. They currently have nothing but a powered (crappy) soundbar, so I was going to hook them up with my old receiver and the center channel speaker that I've since upgraded to a B&W.

So in short, they're getting the Onkyo TX-SR508 & my replaced Jamo C400 Concert Series center channel speaker. I am looking to purchase them a left and right pair of main(s) that are not floor standing towers. I wanted to give them a good sounding system without a sub (since they live in a city townhouse).

Anyone with suggestions on great bookshelf speaker that can handle enough to be main's? I'm not looking to spend more then 150.00 per speaker (FYI)

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-25-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Look for matching Jamo speakers. Front 3 speakers should be timbre matched, if at all possible. Alternatively, get a nice speaker pair and run them as "phantom" center on the receiver and just sell the Jamo.

LOTS of good speakers in that price range:

WaveCrest
Ascend
NHT
RBH
... the list goes on and on

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-25-2015 at 01:02 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-25-2015, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Look for matching Jamo speakers. Front 3 speakers should be timbre matched, if at all possible. Alternatively, get a nice speaker pair and run them as "phantom" center on the receiver and just sell the Jamo.

LOTS of good speakers in that price range:

WaveCrest
NHT
RBH
... the list goes on and on
Thanks Ray, I'll check them all out exhaustively. I appreciate the feedback!
post #4 of 7 Old 06-25-2015, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 377
These http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/chan...treviewsanchor
Run them as phantom.

SOUND: Marantz AV-7702 Pre/Pro, McIntosh MC1706 Amp,
(2) Klipsch RF7-II's, (2) Funk Audio 18.0 subs

VIDEO:
Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV, Oppo 103D Blue Ray Player
post #5 of 7 Old 06-26-2015, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
Red,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a bit confused when you recommend running the Chane's as phantom? Could you elaborate on that a bit? Forgive my novice ignorance on the recommendation, but I like the Chane's a whole lot and if there's a "sound" way to incorporate them into the configuration, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance
post #6 of 7 Old 06-26-2015, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Phantom is running without a center speaker. Its basically running stereo If the AVR has room correction, it will sense there is no center and direct the content to the mains when its being set up.
When you do this, you want to have the Left and Right close to the TV. This is a good way to build a 5.1 or a 7.1 a bit at a time. But some people likes the phantom better than running a center and just keep it that way with surrounds.
If you do a search on here, Im sure you will find a lot of threads about it. I think your sister and hubby would be very pleased with it seeing what they have. And I have read a lot of people referring those Chane speakers. I have never heard them myself. I am just going by what others has highly recommended. They would be on my list if I was looking for speakers with a tight budget.
Let us know what you end up with and how it sounds.

SOUND: Marantz AV-7702 Pre/Pro, McIntosh MC1706 Amp,
(2) Klipsch RF7-II's, (2) Funk Audio 18.0 subs

VIDEO:
Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV, Oppo 103D Blue Ray Player
post #7 of 7 Old 06-26-2015, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulsk23 View Post
Thanks in advance for chiming in and offering advise.

Here's my dilemma -

I just purchased a Denon X2100w receiver to replace my old Onkyo TX-SR508 receiver and I want to give my Onkyo receiver to my sister and her husband. They currently have nothing but a powered (crappy) soundbar, so I was going to hook them up with my old receiver and the center channel speaker that I've since upgraded to a B&W.

So in short, they're getting the Onkyo TX-SR508 & my replaced Jamo C400 Concert Series center channel speaker. I am looking to purchase them a left and right pair of main(s) that are not floor standing towers. I wanted to give them a good sounding system without a sub (since they live in a city townhouse).

Anyone with suggestions on great bookshelf speaker that can handle enough to be main's? I'm not looking to spend more then 150.00 per speaker (FYI)

Thanks guys!
Jamo 28 or 38 bookshelf speakers
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-JAMO-38-Ma...67137183&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Pair-Gr...item2a522a679f

Jamo E600
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jamo-E-600-B...item4aeb9c0870

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers