Defintive Technology Questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-25-2015, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Defintive Technology Questions

I was wondering how much power the CS-8080HD and SR-8080BP output. I am designing a sound proof room that's button padded with a raised studio in the back. The main room I've all ready decided is going to have a depressed JBL 2242H 18" Woofer mounted into the centre of the ceiling that looks kind of like a bowl. Then I was going to use four CS-8080 cross the center of the walls for a little bass concentration towards the middle across four walls, then have the SR-8080 mounted in the four corners on the same aproximate 5' level. There would be no true corners though as molding will create curvatures so the sound doesn't just dead end is why I went with the SR'.

My question though is will the JBL sub over power the Defintive Tech speakers, I chose them based on reviews and how cheap they were but I just want to make sure they can push enough to be balanced.

Room Height: 10'
Room Width: 20' all the way around

Thanks in advanced, by the way this is for a music setup is why the sound belt is set at 5' by default. I am going to incorporate a track system into the padding seams so I can manully adjust each one for sitting or standing posistions then you could sit there with a projector and watch a movie but it wouldn't be often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-25-2015, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Well, you should really crossover the 8080 and use real subs. I have a clr3000 and have the sub power cord unplugged most of the time lol
post #3 of 4 Old 06-25-2015, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 80
It shouldn't be too bad, power them with at least 150 w/ch (for what thinking actually bump to 200+ if possible, it will open then up considerably)

But, if you haven't gotten then yet, and from what I gather from your concept, you'd probably be better off with some vintage CLR3000 our CLR2500, or possibly some even older Power Monitor 900 or 700, but those can be pretty hard to find. CLR3000 would be my first choice over all, with a little patience you should able to find them for about $450-$550 ea.

Which ever you choose make sure you run the powered woofers with a full range signal, (not just bass) let the internal crossovers do their job, the way the are designed this will add to their fullness and dynamic range.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; 06-25-2015 at 11:47 PM.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-26-2015, 06:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by despuit View Post
I was wondering how much power the CS-8080HD and SR-8080BP output. I am designing a sound proof room that's button padded with a raised studio in the back. The main room I've all ready decided is going to have a depressed JBL 2242H 18" Woofer mounted into the centre of the ceiling that looks kind of like a bowl. Then I was going to use four CS-8080 cross the center of the walls for a little bass concentration towards the middle across four walls, then have the SR-8080 mounted in the four corners on the same aproximate 5' level. There would be no true corners though as molding will create curvatures so the sound doesn't just dead end is why I went with the SR'.

My question though is will the JBL sub over power the Defintive Tech speakers, I chose them based on reviews and how cheap they were but I just want to make sure they can push enough to be balanced.

Room Height: 10'
Room Width: 20' all the way around

Thanks in advanced, by the way this is for a music setup is why the sound belt is set at 5' by default. I am going to incorporate a track system into the padding seams so I can manully adjust each one for sitting or standing posistions then you could sit there with a projector and watch a movie but it wouldn't be often.
The JBL 2242H is more of a mid bass driver than it is a subwoofer. But if you run the crossover above 80hz, where the JBL 2242H starts to shine, then it could be localized. I think it is the wrong tool for the job. Now if you were using two of them as mid bass modules near the mains, then it would be a better application in my opinion. I like pro sound drivers, but not for what you are contemplating doing. The JBL 2242H will certainly have plenty of output from 80hz down to it's -3db point, but will require a fair amount of EQ, since it will be dropping like a rock.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page