AVS Forum banner

Pioneer SP-C22 and SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones - are they demanding and hard on receivers

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  JMak00 
#1 · (Edited)
It seems most speakers are 8 ohm. The Pioneer in questions are 6 ohm. Are they hard on receivers? Will they material shorten the life of a entry level receiver like a Yamaha RX 379 (373, 377 previous lines) or similar receiver?

Those speakers have glowing reviews and I can get them at a good price, but for my needs I will probably get a Yamaha 379 or similar Sony or Denon receiver and I am concerned the receivers might not last long with those speakers.

Also, if those speakers do not materially tax a receiver, I will likely get them. If so, I plan to use them with my existing Sony SA-WM250 subwoofer which, per its spec sheet, has a better range (goes down to 28hz) than the same line Pioneer subwoofer (around 35hz.) Will that be okay or do the subwoofer designed for a speaker set generally have better characteristics specific to a set and would be better?

#3 ·
Also, if those speakers do not materially tax a receiver, I will likely get them. If so, I plan to use them with my existing Sony SA-WM250 subwoofer which, per its spec sheet, has a better range (goes down to 28hz) than the same line Pioneer subwoofer (around 35hz.) Will that be okay or do the subwoofer designed for a speaker set generally have better characteristics specific to a set and would be better?
They do Not tax a receiver - and they do not really dip that low

It would be a small miracle if you Sony sub hit around the 35 hz range

The Pioneer sub goes lower than one might think - and was measured
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

#4 ·
#7 ·
Walmart.com has the bookshelf ones for $127 a pair and the center for $97. But that is pretty much the normal price everywhere - maybe $2 more at other places but they would likely match that price since it is published. I find no retailers with them discounted below that.

#10 · (Edited)
I used to have the Sony SA-WM40. It's a pretty good budget sub and better than the 8" pioneer. I think the WM250 is only 8" so probably similar performance to the Pioneer.

If you place some polyfil in the Sony it'll sound even better and take away the boominess. I know my old Sony sub didn't have much inside. You don't need to apply modge podge whatever that is. just add the polyfil to the cabinet.

#11 ·
I used to have the Sony SA-WM40. It's a pretty good budget sub and better than the 8" pioneer. I think the WM250 is only 8" so probably similar performance to the Pioneer.

If you place some polyfil in the Sony it'll sound even better and take away the boominess. I know my old Sony sub didn't have much inside. You don't need to apply modge podge whatever that is. just add the polyfil to the cabinet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C84nfP6lKK8
By taking away the boominess will it make it where I hear the bass but do not notice it so to speak? Is noticing the bass what boominess is? I like bass to add to the range but I hate noticing it where it overtakes the sound box all the speakers are creating.

#13 ·
I use a denon x1100w avr eith a full set of first gen andrew jones speakers. I find that thr receiver only gets hot, ie, noticeably warmer, when I run music for several hours when the volume is set to 65+ on a 0 to 100 scale. Otherwise, it runs warm as most electronics do.

On the other hand, these are inefficient speakers with the sensitivity some in the high 80s. Ive translated that into meaning these require more power to mive the cones, so dont skimp on a weak receiver. My x1100w is more than enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.