AVS Forum banner

question about drilling a hole to hide speaker wire

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  dkfan9 
#1 ·
Ok, so I have a pair of NHT SuperZeros, which is a small bookshelf type speaker. I'm mounting one on each side of my Sony 70 incher (on the wall). I'm using these mounting brackets:

These are the bookshelf speakers:

my plan is to hopefully find a stud in a good location on each side of the TV, and put the mount by the stud. Then, either to the left or right of the stud, I will drill a small hole to run speaker wire through. I'm using RCA 16 gauge speaker wire. Basically, was hoping to have the hole as small as possible, just to fit the speaker wire through.

However, my issue is trying to get the speaker wire from that hole, to a hole towards the very bottom of the wall. My plan was to put the second hole close the floor (for hiding purposes), but trying to guide the wire from one hole to the other. With the bottom wire being more hidden, I could make the hole slightly larger I suppose. Just wondering what technique people use to try to guide the wire from one hole to the other without being able to actually see the wire, and at the same time trying to keep each hole as small as possible.

[ I'm sure there is something I can buy to help myself do it easier, but is there any way to do it without buying anything ? I just want to get the damn thing done today, and don't want to have to wait for something to come in the mail... ]

See less See more
#2 ·
I installed in-wall surrounds in my family room. Drilled a hole up from the floor joist, and figured it wouldn't be too hard to find the 8" speaker hole in the wall. One took five minutes, the other took two hours. No kidding.
The wall is probably insulated, so you're fighting through that. You need fish tape (http://www.harborfreight.com/wire-running.html), luck and lots of patience.
You might instead want to try "hiding" the wire with something like this:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_254778-35681-CR1-16W_1z0uxzu__?productId=3549916&pl=1
It can be painted if necessary.
If you put the speakers close enough to the TV, you can just run the wires behind the TV.
;)

#3 ·
Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
I love that! Its one of my pet peeves.

When you are answering the question(s) made by the OP there is no need to quote the full post. Strip out what is irrelevant to keep the thread short and easy to read. I may add that to my sig line.

#4 ·
If the wall is not insulated you should be able to suck the a small string from the top hole through the bottom hole with a vacuum cleaner. You can use thread or fishing string with a small piece of plastic shopping back taped to it. I've used this trick many times running wires inside boats.

#5 ·
Several people have already pointed out the potential problems.

If this is an exterior wall, the likely it has insulation inside. If it is an interior wall then things get easier buy you might still have to content with horizontal braces or electrical power wires inside the wall.

Some installers tape a metal chain, like a neck chain to the speaker wire then connect a small disc of metal to the chain. The they use a magnet on a stiff wire in the hole to catch the metal on the end of the chain. Once you have snagged the metal with the magnets it is easy enough to pull over to the opening.

You don't necessarily have to use the Drop Magnet Kit. You can jury rig a similar system using common magnets, or a strong magnet and a steel bolt. It just takes a little ingenuity.

Steve/bluewizard

#7 ·
I like that 9+ min You Tube video in blue wiz's post on how to fish a wire when picture shows he already has cut a 3 x 4 inch hole in the wall to mount a speaker outlet. With a hole that size why do you have to fish anything if you are just dropping a speaker wire down?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.