SVS B4 Plus Subwoofer - Is this real or theoretical? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-28-2002, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess I first read about this supposedly best of class, hell, any subwoofer a few weeks ago. Since then, practically nothing...

I thought they had them for sale and already had a bunch in the field for testing? What's up?

Was the hype for real? Are they worth the thousands they cost? I've read that they have output, speed, low reach and low distortion better than any single sub, and equal to 4 SVS Ultras?

Has this info been borne out in the field?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2002, 11:58 PM
wje
AVS Special Member

There's only *one* publically known beta tester for the B4.

The B4 is going to be an actual product that will be released to the public in what appears to be some time during January 2003. Check out the "news" section at the SVS site - you'll see where they made an announcement regarding the B4 just last Saturday.

The Home Theater Forum has some extensive threads on the discussion of this sub along with pictures of it and updates from the beta tester.
Old 12-29-2002, 02:16 AM
TV
AVS Special Member

Hi Merc,

There's nothing theoretical really. The design has been proven in the SVS skunkworks in the very same manner all the SV products have been in the past. We have one in the field(although I wouldn't really call him a *beta*(even though I have myself) since the design is done)...and several more in production. The next one to ship is a MAPLE unit...handcrafted in the good ole USA of course. We've already arranged to have John Johnson put a B4 thru his typical spl/thd/impulse and response tests(along with his standard source material tests) but reviews do have a bit of lead time so it will be a couple months before we see anything in that regard. I already told JJ he'll have to devise a method to increase his standard 100dB THD checks to 110-125dBs if he wants to allow this unit to stretch it's legs a bit.

This is a production design, already *released* and ready to ship...all you have to do is let us know what type of exterior finish you want when ordering. New orders will take about 14-21 days though. We can only build about 1 of these a week and we already have a couple orders lined up. (although I think one is almost done)

BTW, I've never said this was *better than any single subwoofer* or *best of class* or anything like that so I'm not sure were that stuff came from.

Tom V.
SVS
Old 12-29-2002, 04:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tom, I have not seen any direct comparison between the SS and the B4 Plus. Since they are in a similar price catagory as well as top end with selectable finishes I would be interested to know your opinion about their relative performance.

Thanks!

EricN
"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike"

HT: Denon 4311CI, Denon DVD-5900, M&K S-150's LCR & ss-150's SL & SR, SVS PB12+, Oppo-BDP-83, Sony Cineza LCD, Stewart StudioTek 130 92"

2 Ch: MacMini,W4S DAC2 DSDse,VPI Scout 1.1&Dynavector 10X5,Cary SLI-80&Vandersteen 2Ce Signatures II's

Old 12-29-2002, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Tom,

Somewhere along the way, I sent a note to Ron (orthogonal to another discussion) with a question or two.

I noticed in the specifications, a listing of 5kw input (or 1250w / driver if you want to think of it that way). I'm curious if you aren't running up against thermal compression prior to that enormous input power.

Good news on JJ testing one out. I'll have to hit him up at CES and get an off the record sneak peek at the numbers.

Regards,

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:45 AM
TV
AVS Special Member

Hi Longbow,

The SVS SS is more or less an Ultra with fancy aesthetics. The B4(with 1000-1500 watts) will be worth about 3 SS subs(or Ultras) in the 9-25hz range and about 4 SS subs >25hz.

Hi John, We probably won't be sending JJ's his review subwoofer for a week or two yet...so I'm not sure how much he'll have to say about it by CES. Do bug him about it though...it might speed the process a bit :)

The 5000 watt amp was only used to max out the B4-supersub at every frequency point during my tests. I don't recommend using more than 2500 watts with this...anything more than that is just wasting power(as thermal compression sets in). Anything from 1000-2500 is fine really. When you consider the B4 is 4x(12dBs) the Ultra >25hz using 1500w...that mean to *just* get single Ultra performance would require < 100watts. I've tried my B4 with everything from 300w to 2500w in my HT. Once you get into the 1200-1500w range...I don't think you'll have any audible benefits by increasing power.

Tom V.
SVS
Old 12-30-2002, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Tom,

Thanks -- I appreciate your honesty with the numbers :)

That makes more sense too!

Regards,

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.