Mythos ST-L SuperTower Price - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-15-2015, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Mythos ST-L SuperTower Price

Why are the one year old Def Tech ST-L's selling all over the place at almost half price while the 7 year old STS's and ST holding up fairly well price-wise in the secondary market.

The ST-L's had some very good reviews, is there "issues" with the early ones, the number of them sold baja waveruner alone at $1,400 each (retail $2,500 each) for such a new speaker leads me to believe their is reason to wait or rule them out?

Thoughts? Info? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-15-2015, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
He sell definitive technology refurbished speakers. Got all mine from hime. They look brand new and sound great. Check him out.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-16-2015, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyc32 View Post
He sell definitive technology refurbished speakers. Got all mine from hime. They look brand new and sound great. Check him out.
I have bought from them and agree, the question is not about baja, the question is why are there so many ST-L's already on the secondary market at half price, the speakers are a year old and it's not just Baja, many people are selling them at half price all over the net and taking quite a loss on new speakers.

Is there Amp problems, (if so I can wait)

Or are there audio imperfections that people find after a few months that cause people to sell them at quite a loss. (if so I would like to know what they are, it could be a deal breaker for me depending on the flaws).

The big question, why are people selling these at a loss in large numbers so quickly? (With so many on Baja I'm thinking there is an issue with an early failure rate on some component)

post #4 of 12 Old 07-17-2015, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
I have bought from them and agree, the question is not about baja, the question is why are there so many ST-L's already on the secondary market at half price, the speakers are a year old and it's not just Baja, many people are selling them at half price all over the net and taking quite a loss on new speakers.

Is there Amp problems, (if so I can wait)

Or are there audio imperfections that people find after a few months that cause people to sell them at quite a loss. (if so I would like to know what they are, it could be a deal breaker for me depending on the flaws).

The big question, why are people selling these at a loss in large numbers so quickly? (With so many on Baja I'm thinking there is an issue with an early failure rate on some component)
Dunno, I have a pair of ST-L's and think they are head and shoulders above the ST/STS. Went from MartinLogan Montis to the ST-L's and never once regretted it. Ironically I'm looking to sell mine so I can go fully DIY
post #5 of 12 Old 07-18-2015, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post
Dunno, I have a pair of ST-L's and think they are head and shoulders above the ST/STS. Went from MartinLogan Montis to the ST-L's and never once regretted it. Ironically I'm looking to sell mine so I can go fully DIY
Thanks, I think your for sale add may have hinted at the issue of so many on the secondary market.

Quote:
FINAL PRICE REDUCTION $2,500!!!!!

Hey Everyone,

Looking to sell my Mythos ST-L's. They are in pristine condition and still have all their boxes, packing materials, manuals, and remotes included, everything you would get if you were to buy them new. I would also be including 2 new sub amps, a new crossover assembly, and new set of midrange drivers and a new tweeter. When I first got the speakers there was a buzzing sound from one of them and they kept sending me parts to try and fix it. Nothing worked so they just sent me a new speaker instead so now I have the extra parts that I won't need.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-18-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 593
I had a Mythos ST system with a pair of ST, 5 x Tens, a pair of Gem XL, and a pair of SC reference sub woofers. For the same money I would be looking at Golden Ear Technology Triton series.

http://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-series

Good Luck

Chris
post #7 of 12 Old 07-18-2015, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
I had a Mythos ST system with a pair of ST, 5 x Tens, a pair of Gem XL, and a pair of SC reference sub woofers. For the same money I would be looking at Golden Ear Technology Triton series.

http://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-series

Good Luck
Thanks, That is about what I have now, I have the proper center for the ST'Ls so I was wondering it going cheap was an option as of a month ago, I had originally planned on a couple of Triton 1's and the XXL Center.

I'm back to that plan, with all the after market ST's going for under $3000 a pair it was an option but I am far away from dealers and expect speakers, ever powered one to give me a good 7 years with no issues and with the old ST's they did and are still solid, the GE setup will cost me twice as much but no big deal, sure I could get a fluke and have a bad one but the ST'Ls appear to have defect running through quite a few of them.

I am back to Gross's Golden ears

Thanks,

Is that what you have, my only concern is the height of the tweeter.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-18-2015, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Have you listened to the Polk LSIMs? If so, how do they sound compared to those?
post #9 of 12 Old 07-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenshou1 View Post
Have you listened to the Polk LSIMs? If so, how do they sound compared to those?
I haven't. The only polks I've heard are the TSi and rti a series, neither of which I was particularly fond of.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-28-2015, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 21
According to def Tech bajawaverunner is the only authorised DefTech B-stock products reseller (different from dealer who also offers warranty). It also authorised to sell spare parts.

Source/Dac/Pre: OPPO-105
Fronts: Benchmark AHB2 -> DefTech Mythos ST-Ls
Surrounds: Parasound Halo A23 -> DefTech Mythos Gems
post #11 of 12 Old 07-28-2015, 11:18 AM

I have Mythos STSs as a front speakers.I bought them new at Best Buy and found to be a fantastic bargain for the SQ they provide and amazing in producing rich and well balanced tight bass perfect for a music given their small size. I started upgrading recently and now find STS's SQ not high end enough given the rest of my gear and quality of records I have (SACDs, Living Stereo, DVD-As, BD-As and etc) – mids and highs sound not refined or realistic enough when compared with high end speakers like Revel Salons (I know it is not a fair comparison given it costs only fraction of price but they plus JC1s/JC2 set standards for me now). I like the idea behind Mythos Super Towers though. So now I am planning to sell STSs and buy ST-Ls instead. I went to our local Best Buy/Magnolia design center but setup was ridiculous for audition – some crappy AVR + low quality music they were capable to demo (like Mettalica concert DVD, really Best Buy?) and subs were not even powered. Needless to say sales person was clueless regarding equipment. It was not even in demo room! So now I going to visit small dealer in Danville to audition them and GE Triton Ones too for that occasion. I do not like how Tritons look like though and their oversized sub and huge size associated with that. I can also get better deal on ST-Ls given bajawaverunner and others. Saving $2200 is more than enough to cover parts replacement if needed. I also puzzled why so many almost new STLs are out on sale and why there is no warrantly on B-stock. It might be because ST-Ls are very popular and sell in big numbers compared with likes GEs. And they might be expensive to not be as a great value as STs and STSs.

post #12 of 12 Old 10-03-2015, 05:55 PM

I just sold my pair of STSs and started seriously looking for ST-L. Actually not many are available for less than MSRP online. If you exclude "new" from unauthorised dealers may be only couple of used are available and they have to compete with bajawaverunner so used can hardly be more expensive. I set the asking price for my STSs lower than bajawaverunner by several hundred dollars. Of course I had to lower price even more to sell locally.

FYI bajawaverunner is running out of ST-L stock. Only one available in black finish and few in graphite. Regarding price - I checked all items he sells and all of them are offered for the half price of new. So ST-Ls are not so special in this regard. The large quantity of ST-Ls he sold is not specific to ST-Ls either - e.g. Mythos Nines - he had total 22 in stock of which 10 were sold - numbers comparable to ST-Ls. I never heard that Nines are failure prone. I guess that DefTech simply releases bunch of B stock at time not just sells them as soon as they returned or refurbished.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page