Pool Table Room / Game Room Speaker Layout Ideas - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-20-2015, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pool Table Room / Game Room Speaker Layout Ideas

Hi everyone,

I am trying to decide what on earth to do with my pooltable room and its speaker setup. The room will be used for TV, music ,and ofcourse pool and that's about it. I would prefer an in wall setup. I was leaningtowards in wall fronts and center and rear in wall ceiling speakers.

I'm not overly concerned about 5.1 and think I'd be just as happy with 5 channel stereo in this room, but I don't know. I just want the bestsetup on a limited budget. I was leaning toward Polk's. My main concern right now is the layout.

I would appreciate some ideas. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BASEMENT LAYOUT-Layout1.pdf (4.6 KB, 30 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Looking at your layout it appears that you aren't even planning to do much entertaining. Only 2 chairs for watching TV? And those chairs seem extremely close to the TV. I'd want to push the pool table back in the room alittle.

In wall speakers for the front 3 Front left and right and Center channel will do the trick. and in ceilings work as surrounds. What is your plan as far as subwoofer?

Also what is your budget?
post #3 of 8 Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I have a game room that consists of a pool table, sofa, poker table and tv that is hanging on the wall.

7.2 system.. (7 in ceiling speakers and 2 subs).

Check out my pics in the signature area.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.

Last edited by HPQ; Today at 04:48 AM.
post #4 of 8 Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. Yeah the layout could use some work. That one is a rough one I did on cad quick to show as an ei. It will primarily be used to play pool and hopefully other games as time goes on. Mainly the TV and sound is just for when we're in there because I have another room for movies.

I like the pics of your layout hpq. How do you find the sound with the ceiling speakers. I have never had in walls, but I want this room to look clean.

As for the budget I guess the best speakers I can buy at for a reasonable price. I think I'm looking at around $1000 if need be. I have an older 5.1 Yamaha that I will use as the receiver for now. But I never thought about the sub. Doh. What should I do with that without it being in the way?

Thanks.
post #5 of 8 Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
I might be looking at some Infinity CS60 in-walls. They are competent speakers and affordable. For a sub, I would not consider in-wall subs, although they do exist. They are usually pretty terrible. I would get a sub and use it as an endtable for the chairs. That way it is dual purpose, so it east up floor space, but it has an excuse for that beyond just producing bass. You might look at the Premiere Acoustics PA-150, it doesn't dig super deep, but it will have enough output to pressurize that room. At 21" height and a level, gloss black top, that makes it usable as an endtable. If you want something that will dig deep, I would look at the Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12. It is a perfect height for endtable use and has a nice plexiglass top surface which makes it good for that function. It digs deep, down to 20 Hz and should have very high quality bass.
post #6 of 8 Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
I might be looking at some Infinity CS60 in-walls. They are competent speakers and affordable. For a sub, I would not consider in-wall subs, although they do exist. They are usually pretty terrible. I would get a sub and use it as an endtable for the chairs. That way it is dual purpose, so it east up floor space, but it has an excuse for that beyond just producing bass. You might look at the Premiere Acoustics PA-150, it doesn't dig super deep, but it will have enough output to pressurize that room. At 21" height and a level, gloss black top, that makes it usable as an endtable. If you want something that will dig deep, I would look at the Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12. It is a perfect height for endtable use and has a nice plexiglass top surface which makes it good for that function. It digs deep, down to 20 Hz and should have very high quality bass.
Thanks shadyj. I agree that using the subwoofer as a sub, as some sort of end table would be best.

So my overall thought is to have the LCR in wall and the rears at the back of the room in the ceiling. Does anyone see a problem with this configuration while actually playing pool? This is my main goal for sound while playing.

BTW I'm looking at the Polk 265rt for the LCR's and probably something similar for the rears in ceiling (like 60i) The problem with the rears is that the only great place to put them is on the ceiling.

Thanks.
post #7 of 8 Old Today, 04:45 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxblaze View Post
I like the pics of your layout hpq. How do you find the sound with the ceiling speakers. I have never had in walls, but I want this room to look clean. .
I like the in ceiling speakers. I have three near the tv and then two in the middle near the sofa and then another two in the back. I also have 2 small subs each located at the back corner. Sound is very good when watching a movie with surround sound. Mine were a bit more expensive since they are Paradigm Speakers

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 285
The first question that needs to be asked is - Does the room have 2x4 Stud walls? Because it if it 2x2 or 1x2, then you are in trouble.

There can be no speakers until that issue is resolved.

Next, are the wall insulated, and are they insulated with Fiberglas or Foam, because if it is foam, again, you are in trouble.

Next, what is your budget for the audio project, and what do you expect that budget to buy you.

Next, what other features do you need? What is the source of your music? CD? Smart Phone? Computer? Other?

Will this be broadcast/cable TV, or do you imagine you will need a device to play movies (DVD/BluRay Player)?

Where will you put the audio equipment?

Can we assume we are talking about a Stereo System?

Do you need to Stream via Bluetooth from a Smart Phone?

Do you need to Stream Audio from a Computer?

Do you need access to Internet Radio and Internet Audio Streaming Services?

The answers to these question will determine if you plan is feasible, and specifically what equipment you will need.

Keep in mind, the range of possible In-Wall speakers is as wide as it is for free standing speakers.

Examples -

http://www.speakercraft.com/products...n-wall/aim7-mt

http://www.speakercraft.com/products...n-wall/aim-lcr

http://www.speakercraft.com/products...all/aim-cinema

But first can your wall even accommodate In-Wall speakers? Until we know that, we are just spinning our wheels.

Steve/bluewizard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page