youtube demos... seriously??? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 5 Post By plofstof
  • 1 Post By willieconway
post #1 of 15 Old 07-29-2015, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
youtube demos... seriously???

Allow me to rant.

I'm looking up various speaker reviews on youtube. I just cannot believe how many people post youtube videos of like a song being played over their super high-end speakers. And call it "demos"
, or
, or
who is demoing his CLASSE / B&W 803 Diamond setup.

<rant>
Seriously??

Yeah, dude, I'm going to hear, through my laptop's tinny speakers, how awesome you're $25000 stereo setup sounds?
The one you recorded through a cell phone mic that Samsung gets at a cost price of about $4.
I'm gonna listen to your demo and I'll just be blown away by how amazing your setup sounds.
I'm going to be so glad for you. I'll be so impressed that I will wish I could afford the same setup.
Well done.

I thought someone who made enough money to afford these systems would have half a brain.
</rant>

As a friend of mine likes to say, God must love stupid people if he made so many of them...
bulls, psgcdn, vzphoneman and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-29-2015, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2330
Quote:
Originally Posted by plofstof View Post
As a friend of mine likes to say, God must love stupid people if he made so many of them...
That, and if brains were dynamite most people couldn't blow their own nose.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-29-2015, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 297
You can't tell everything about a system in a YouTube video, but you can tell something, Even with $45 speakers I can tell that these systems are crisp and clear, and near life-like. Well, 1 and 3 were, 2 was so-so at best.

Yes, to some extent you are right you can't tell much about an expensive system listening on crappy $10 computer speakers. But, even with cheap but functional speakers you can tell something.

The problem is that most YouTube videos are recorded poorly, in most cases recorded WAY TOO LOUD. But those recorded at reasonable volume levels with a half-way decent camera can give you some sense of a speaker or a system.

Because of how illogically most YouTube Stereo Equipment videos are recorded, only about 1 in 50 is watchable. The rest are distorted crap.

So ...NO... having listened to a video of a system, you can not say you've listened to the system. But you can have some sense of the potential of that system.

A YouTube video of Audio equipment is not worthless, it is just of limited value, not no value, just limited value.

I suspect even with highly compromised listening equipment, you can still tell that this system sound good -

Yamaha/Tannoy -

Crisp cymbal and snare snap, clear life-like vocals.

For superb videos of audio equipment, KENRICK of Japan makes impressive videos -

I don't care how crappy a system you are listening on, a concussed chimp could tell that these speaker sound good.

But ...again... you can't hear the speakers, you can only get a sense of them. But you can get a good sense of them.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 07-29-2015 at 03:15 PM.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-29-2015, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 50
^ I agree with Steve. Although when someone does a YT vid where they're comparing several different speakers side by side and explaining what they liked and didn't like about each one, that's a bit more interesting. The most recent one I saw was by some Reddit guy named "Zeus" something, comparing the WaveCrest HVL-1 vs Chane A1rxc vs some sub-$200 TEAC speakers. And of course you do at the very least get a visual sense of how they compare, lol.

But yeah, the stupidest vids are ones just showing one set of speakers with music playing through them and zero commentary.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-29-2015, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The worst are "reviews" where the say nothing about the actual speakers but simply play music. Usually bad music.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-29-2015, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
^ I agree with Steve. Although when someone does a YT vid where they're comparing several different speakers side by side and explaining what they liked and didn't like about each one, that's a bit more interesting. The most recent one I saw was by some Reddit guy named "Zeus" something, comparing the WaveCrest HVL-1 vs Chane A1rxc vs some sub-$200 TEAC speakers. And of course you do at the very least get a visual sense of how they compare, lol.

But yeah, the stupidest vids are ones just showing one set of speakers with music playing through them and zero commentary.
The guy you are talking about has a YouTube channel called Zreviews, and I think he does a good job considering. He usually does two videos, one a typical review where he describes what he likes and doesn't, and a second video that is a sound demo. This is where he does things better than most. He uses a good mic, and records them close-miked to reduce the room interactions. He also has a cool rig he uses for his headphone sound demos. Yeah, it's still a YouTube video, but it has some value IMO.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-29-2015, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I am a sucker more for the narrative than the sq. but its still kinda ridiculous. however when researching speakers I have never heard of nor seen, I like this option. ie I hate speakers that are not level on the top, I need to put a box of tissue or something on my speakers so some designs I dont even audition.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc800v, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512
post #8 of 15 Old 07-29-2015, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

" youtube demos... seriously???"

No ... not Seriously ...but... Curiously.

YouTube videos, if you search out the 1 in 50 worth watching, can satisfy your curiosity.

But ...if you are serious... you need to get out and listen to speakers.

However, I realize that's not easy for everyone to do. If you live out on the frozen tundra like myself, then the nearest remotely workable place to hear speakers is 120 miles away, and the selection there is limited.

You do the best you can with what you've got, and if the best you've got is YouTube, then YouTube is what you use.

But to effectively use YouTube, you've got to be able to distinguish the crap from the crackers.

This is crap -

You can be sure anyone who is trying to impress you with how far they can make their bass drivers jump, knows little about how speakers can and should sound.

Pretty much anyone using "Bass I Love You" to demo their speakers guarantees the speakers, not matter how good the are, are going to sound like crap.

You have to be able to separate the Wheat from the Chaff.

Steve/bluewizard
post #9 of 15 Old 07-29-2015, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hi All,

I enjoy watching Kenrick Sounds Of Japan Video's - they have some amazing stuff & it is incredible to see the fine detail the go into regarding their products - at least they use decent recording equipment when making their videos - Still only a YouTube Video so totally limited by that!

Bazzy!
post #10 of 15 Old 07-29-2015, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Given that our binaural hearing systems can filter out ambient noise, reflections, acoustic interference, etc., I dont think its too much of a stretch to think that there may be some automatic acclimation to the recordings as well.

Granted, recordings give our brains far less data points, and we haven't exactly evolved to listen to them.

Its just conjecture of mine, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss people as "idiots".

Last edited by SyntheticShrimp; 07-29-2015 at 08:39 PM.
post #11 of 15 Old Yesterday, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 454
my favorite are the you tube video of speaker, recorded with a cell phone mic and camera, telling you how great a speaker is...

Too many variables- how good was the mic? How good is the room set up? how good are the speakers on the other end? Etc, etc, etc...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
post #12 of 15 Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Another factor, in my videos, if I have made Tone adjustments, I mention it.

For many you have no way of knowing. They could be playing Full Bass with Full Treble cut ... you simply don't know, which is precisely why you can't take a YouTube video as definitive.

Next, as has been made clear, most are recording WAY TOO LOUD. It may sound great in the room, but once you go above a certain level, it just sound more crap and more crap and more crap as the in room volume goes up.

But assuming you can find a good video to start with, you can get some sense of the speakers. I listened to many Diamond 9.6 and general Wharfedale Diamond Videos before I bought mine off Ebay. No they didn't tell me precisely what the Diamond 9.6 sounded like, but they gave me a pretty fair indication that they didn't sound like crap. Generally, they were smooth and clear with a retail price of about $1000/pr, so for $425/pr with free shipping, I couldn't pass them up.

Sometimes, it is simply the deal that sells the speakers.

Let's not give YouTube videos too much value, but equally, let's not discount their value completely.

Steve/bluewizard
post #13 of 15 Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I've never watched a YouTube speaker demo in my life but I sure wish I was confident enough in my superiority to label people I've never met that are just engaging in some harmless fun "idiot", "moron", and "imbecile".
Shniks likes this.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Onkyo TX-NR818, Energy Veritas 5.1s and a Veritas 5.2C , NHT SuperZeros, Mirage Omni S10, Oppo 103D. Currently boxed up: Denon 1713, Klipsch SW-450, NHT Absolute Center, Energy V-Mini-C
post #14 of 15 Old Today, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Why not go to their channel and post your opinion there ,I bet that youtube will let you say whatever you want ,IMO worst commenters are there.
post #15 of 15 Unread Today, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
I've never watched a YouTube speaker demo in my life but I sure wish I was confident enough in my superiority to label people I've never met that are just engaging in some harmless fun "idiot", "moron", and "imbecile".
I agree - I am a little surprised at the vitriol being spewed on here. If someone wants to post YouTube videos, however asinine they might be, that's their right. One can simple choose to ignore those videos. I know I do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page