Going from pioneer towers and I need bookshelf: Which route would you go? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 7 Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Going from pioneer towers and I need bookshelf: Which route would you go?

I currently own the Andrew Jones pioneer floor standing speakers and I'm thinking due to the kids I need to get bookshelf speakers. Right now I'm not sure if I should go with the Andrew Jones bookshelf or go with a different brand for possibly more power. I know the bookshelves aren't all that efficient and I had the Polk RTI 4s before and really like them. I do have the center speaker as well from Andrew Jones.

So my curiosity is this: do I trade in the towers for the bookshelves and keep my center speaker, or go with a different brand that could maybe be more efficient with more power? I was thinking the Polk Rti6 for mains and the csi3 or 5 for center. But, I'm open to other suggestions within this price range. I run a bid f12 sub. This is primarily for home theater but music as well. The room is 7 feet tall and is 21 x 14'. Thanks so much and looking forward to the feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Unlike many others, I don't love the Pioneer BS22 bookshelves (which I used regularly for about a year). The sound signature is fine but the ones I had were plagued by cabinet resonances that far outweighed any other considerations. But typically you would want to replace LCR all at one go, so if you're looking to keep the Pioneer AJ center then perhaps pick up a set of the bookshelves from somewhere with a good return policy.
post #3 of 7 Old Today, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promit View Post
Unlike many others, I don't love the Pioneer BS22 bookshelves (which I used regularly for about a year). The sound signature is fine but the ones I had were plagued by cabinet resonances that far outweighed any other considerations. But typically you would want to replace LCR all at one go, so if you're looking to keep the Pioneer AJ center then perhaps pick up a set of the bookshelves from somewhere with a good return policy.
Thanks for the response. Can these bookshelves adequately fill a room for home theater though with their low sensitivity? Are people finding them ok for this sort of thing? They obviously have a smaller footprint than the towers so that's where I'm tying to learn whether a different brand woukd be needed.
post #4 of 7 Old Today, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Thanks for the response. Can these bookshelves adequately fill a room for home theater though with their low sensitivity? Are people finding them ok for this sort of thing? They obviously have a smaller footprint than the towers so that's where I'm tying to learn whether a different brand woukd be needed.
That's down to what's powering them, not the speakers themselves. If the amplifier behind them has enough oomph, then no problem. That said, the sensitivity specs for the FS52 and BS22 are the same, and a higher sub crossover might actually mean the bookshelves put less strain on your power source.
post #5 of 7 Old Today, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So after doing a little research I think I have it narrowed it down to a few options based on price point. I could either stick with pioneer and go with the bs22 bookshelf, or I thought going with the HTD level 2 or Polk Rti4/6 while getting the center channels to match.

The HTD setup would be $400; the Polk would be $330, and the pioneer would be $129 (but those pioneers go on sale so often that I would wait). So, would it be stupid to not get the pioneer bookshelves, or would the HTD be a jump up in quality? One consideration I also have is that the pioneer bookshelves are rear ported whereas the other brands our front ported. I'm wondering how this will affect sound knowing these will be mounted on the wall. Yet I could also come out ahead by selling my towers and then buying the pioneer bookshelves. Hope for some opinions. Thanks!

Last edited by butie120; Today at 01:43 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old Today, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 784
I would aim higher than the HTD Level Two

If you like the Polk RTi4, then I would go with the Polk RTi6

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
I would aim higher than the HTD Level Two

If you like the Polk RTi4, then I would go with the Polk RTi6
So you like the polks over the HTD speakers? And polks over the pioneers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page