Need to emphasize vocals - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SmittyJS
post #1 of 4 Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Need to emphasize vocals

Equipment list provided in signature block.

Due to high frequency hearing loss mostly correctly by high tech hearing aids I still have a very difficult time adequately hearing TV and movie vocals. Speaker system was previously set up using Auduseey but have changed to multi-channel to get more audio to surround speakers. Life has gone from the thrill of 5.1 to just being able to understand what is being said.

Sincerely need knowledgeable help with my situation. Will be glad to provide any information needed and reset as needed.

Thanks in advance.

Btw, our living room is whack for proper speaker placement.

Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750, Denon AVR 1912, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Rcvr, Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BD65, Toshiba HD DVD A20, Infinity Alpha Speakers 50's, 20's, 10's, 37c, Valodyne VRP-1000 Sub, Panamax M4300-PM, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Unread Today, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 100
With me having to repeat everything to my elderly mother, who desperately needs hearing aids but won't consider them, I recently did some study in the area of hearing loss. Maybe your issue is not just "high" frequency loss. Hearing loss can be in lower registers also. And the vocals can get lost in the busyness of the other sounds around them (called "the cocktail party syndrome").

Human "vocals" don't go much over 1kHz and bottom around 70Hz. The human "voice" has a much narrower range of around 80-250Hz. You could try to bump up your EQ within that range and see what happens (although boosting the "vocals" range will emphasize most common instruments and sounds too). First, I'd turn up your center speaker so the dialog is dominant.

Another issue would be if your hearing aids are not optimized to the correct frequencies. You might talk to your audiologist who supplied the aids and ask them about your trouble with dialog. It could be that the aids need some adjustment.
49Merc likes this.
post #3 of 4 Unread Today, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have been dealing with the issue of understanding the dialog in movies for a while. I have made some changes that have helped me, but I think that it is not possible to get to the point of understanding all the dialog. IMHO This is do to various issues. The biggest is my age related hearing loss. After about 4000 cycles, my hearing disapears. Many actors tend to slur their speech, there is a lot of background noise, the studio's do a crappy job of mixing etc. I had to turn on closed captions for some movies.

I have changed some of the multitude of settings in my receiver. Mine has Audyssey & for me, turning off Dynamic EQ & Dynamic volume helped. Turning up the center channel helped a bunch. There are some movies that I turn it up as high as it will go which allows me to turn down the main volume. That helps with all the background noise.

I have changed my front speakers & that has helped a fair amount. I spent quite a bit for my new center channel & it has helped improve the clarity of the dialog. Will these sort of changes help you? I Dunno. I believe that our hearing varies quite a bit between individuals. I encourage your to try different settings on your receiver & different center channel speakers. If your room is causing you problems, give some thought to rearranging furniture, treating it for sound etc. Another option would be some good quality headphones.

As a side note, going down the path of trying to improve my sound system for dialog yielded the benefit of improving my enjoyment of music to the point that I now listen to music much more.
post #4 of 4 Unread Today, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 564
The previous suggestion about bumping up your center channel output by 1 or 2 dB may be all that's necessary. It's certainly easy enough to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
Equipment list provided in signature block.
Just an FYI... you misspelled Velodyne in your sig.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page