Upgrading from Logitech Z4 (2.1) to Z906 5.1? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 08-05-2015, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Upgrading from Logitech Z4 (2.1) to Z906 5.1?

I know audiophiles might hate me for this post here : ) , but I am considering Logitech Z906 to use as speakers for both my PC and TV. My question is if it would be a huge difference in terms of sound quality and crispness compared to my current old Logitech Z4 speakers (I do not care much about the loudness)? Is it basically worth to do such an upgrade for sound quality?

In the end, can you recommend any other set of speakers better than Z906 for this purpose?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 08-05-2015, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 133
The Z906 is $360 from Amazon.

You'd do much better buying a refurbed receiver and speaker package from accessories4less.com for the same money. Much better sound quality and future expandability.

For example:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...d-ready/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-black/1.html

Though if you can live without the surround sound and subwoofer, with that budget you'd do better spending about $200 on a decent pair of bookshelf speakers instead of a 5.1 package, to go with the receiver. Then you can add additional speakers and the subwoofer later on if desired and/or if money allows.

Last edited by Zorba922; 08-05-2015 at 07:39 AM.
post #3 of 43 Old 08-05-2015, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the prompt reply. Forgot to mention that I'd prefer to avoid using receiver solutions, that's why I am looking for powered speakers.

Also since I cannot try the Z906 myself, I am afraid I only get an extra 'boom' if I buy Z906 compared to my current Z4 speakers and not much improvement in sound quality and crispness (as I noticed one feature that most people get excited about Z906 is its loudness and power so could not find much information and sound quality)
post #4 of 43 Old 08-05-2015, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 382
If you buy from Amazon, or another seller that allows you to return it, give it a shot.

However, I would strongly suggest you to follow Zorba922's advice. Piecing together a system with a receiver and separate speakers, as he mentioned, will somewhat future-proof you and give you room for improvements, either by getting a new subwoofer, upgrading the speakers, etc.

Your Logitech option is a dead end. IMHO.

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #5 of 43 Old 08-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova58 View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply. Forgot to mention that I'd prefer to avoid using receiver solutions, that's why I am looking for powered speakers.

Also since I cannot try the Z906 myself, I am afraid I only get an extra 'boom' if I buy Z906 compared to my current Z4 speakers and not much improvement in sound quality and crispness (as I noticed one feature that most people get excited about Z906 is its loudness and power so could not find much information and sound quality)
If you want to avoid a receiver, then get powered MONITORS. Far better detail/clarity than any computer speakers. Although of course you won't get the same booming bass as something with a subwoofer, but what bass you do get from them will be much tighter and more accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studio...s=m-audio+av40

or, for really excellent (in both headroom and sound quality) room-filling sound with plenty of low end for everyone except hardcore bassheads:

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-LSR305-Two...rds=jbl+lsr305

I used to have a Logitech 2.1 system, it was a Z-something, about $100-110 I think...ok at low volumes but quickly sounded thin and boomy as you increased the volume, the all-important midrange always sucked. No computer speakers can match the sound quality of powered monitors.
Hypernova58 likes this.
post #6 of 43 Old 08-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Emotiva Air Motiv powered monitors are also good.

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #7 of 43 Old 08-05-2015, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there. I haven't owned the Z4's before, but I might be able to help. I currently own the z906's and have owned multiple pairs of high dollar (relatively speaking) computer speaker sets. My fav by a long shot was/is the klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra's, which is no longer in production. I think the biggest improvements from the z906's will be with PC gaming. The rear and center speakers help a lot when playing certain games. Obviously, you will also have a ton more boom with the z906's subwoofer (compared to the Z4's). If you always keep it at a reasonable volume, you wouldn't notice much of a clarity improvement.

If you aren't gaming, I also think powered monitors are the way to go. They will be better for 2 channel/stereo audio. People seem to really like the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40's (like previously mentioned by Zorba922). I have had them in my Amazon wishlist for quite awhile
Hypernova58 likes this.
post #8 of 43 Old 08-06-2015, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys for the tips and sharing your opinions! I will have a look at the monitors.

It's like what you said Zobra. When I listen to music with my current speakers I feel there is always something missing in the produced sound.
post #9 of 43 Old 08-06-2015, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When I listen to music with my current speakers I feel there is always something missing in the produced sound.
If it's mainly nearfield listening at moderate background levels while working on your computer, the M-Audio AV40s will supply the missing ingredients; if you are looking to fill entire your room with sound then the JBLs would be worth it.
post #10 of 43 Old 08-06-2015, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
If it's mainly nearfield listening at moderate background levels while working on your computer, the M-Audio AV40s will supply the missing ingredients; if you are looking to fill entire your room with sound then the JBLs would be worth it.
Do the JBL LSR305 monitors provide good enough bass / and will I be able to use them for party music at my place (wrt loudness)?
Can I connect them to TV also?
post #11 of 43 Old 08-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do the JBL LSR305 monitors provide good enough bass / and will I be able to use them for party music at my place (wrt loudness)?
Can I connect them to TV also?
I'm sure they're not in the same league as a pair of Cerwin Vegas which are very popular in frat houses, but they should be quite loud for normal high volume listening and sound far nicer than the CVs.

If your TV has an analog audio output jack you'd just need to buy a Y-splitter to run one cable to each speaker. If it only has digital audio output jacks, you'll need to get something like the Fiio D3 to convert it to an analog output, then add the Y-splitter.
post #12 of 43 Old 08-07-2015, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I know audiophiles might hate me for this post here : ) , but I am considering Logitech Z906 to use as speakers for both my PC and TV. My question is if it would be a huge difference in terms of sound quality and crispness compared to my current old Logitech Z4 speakers (I do not care much about the loudness)? Is it basically worth to do such an upgrade for sound quality?

In the end, can you recommend any other set of speakers better than Z906 for this purpose?

Thanks in advance.
No subwoofer, however I've read the Audio Engine A5+ are decent.

http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-Pr.../dp/B005OSR1C8

SVS Ultra Bookshelves (Gloss White) / SVS SB13-Ultra / Marantz SR7008
AKG K712 Pros / SB ZxR
post #13 of 43 Old 08-07-2015, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless95 View Post
No subwoofer, however I've read the Audio Engine A5+ are decent.

http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-Pr.../dp/B005OSR1C8

My buddy has the A5+ and they are quite excellent. The bass on them is pretty good for not having a sub. They also come with a remote which is nice for using it with a TV.
Reckless95 and Hypernova58 like this.

-Ben
post #14 of 43 Old 08-07-2015, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your precious tips!

I also found out about JBL LSR308, they can be stronger.

Btw Zorba, do these monitors produce better sound than your very first suggestion on using the Denon receiver+Yamaha speakers?

Quote:

You'd do much better buying a refurbed receiver and speaker package from accessories4less.com for the same money. Much better sound quality and future expandability.

For example:

Though if you can live without the surround sound and subwoofer, with that budget you'd do better spending about $200 on a decent pair of bookshelf speakers instead of a 5.1 package, to go with the receiver. Then you can add additional speakers and the subwoofer later on if desired and/or if money allows.
post #15 of 43 Old 08-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Btw Zorba, do these monitors produce better sound than your very first suggestion on using the Denon receiver+Yamaha speakers?
Absolutely, quality over quantity.

Plus it's always better to have 2 high-quality speakers than 5 crappy speakers for the same price.

The JBL monitors have Class D amps, which I would expect to offer more power and clarity than an entry level AVR.

The main advantage of having a receiver is that it allows you to easily expand in the future---by adding on more speakers, a subwoofer, and additional sources.

The JBL LSR-308 is $475 a pair at Amazon, about $200 more than the LSR-305. If you spent about $150-200 on a refurbed AVR from accessories4less.com plus a quality set of fronts for about $200-250, then you would get equal or better sound quality plus the option of future expandability.
Hypernova58 likes this.
post #16 of 43 Old 08-07-2015, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Forgot to mention that I'd prefer to avoid using receiver solutions, that's why I am looking for powered speakers.
Why?
post #17 of 43 Old 08-08-2015, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitti View Post
Why?
For my use, a receiver will become mostly a redundant additional piece of hardware, which would require its own maintenance and upgrading (as with older receivers to get new things like 4K,3D,... ), and probably I would not be using 80% of its functionalities, cost,added usage complexity,...

I have a 4K TV and a PC (from which I play most of my music) so I cannot think of much use for a receiver than its audio quality, and cannot convince myself to get one : ) In the future I may only add e.g., an xbox One to the set of TV and PC. The speaker setup that I have in my mind is to get a pair (or 5.1) of good powered ones and connect them to the TV, and add to it a Wifi audio transfer adapter so that I can use it remotely with my computer as well (which sits diagonally wrt to the TV in the room). That is why Logitech Z906 started to seem like a good/safe choice to me especially that it has remote and also allows different input sources.

One thing that got me excited about receivers though when I was doing my search was the wifi feature, but as far as I understood it is not for music transfer. Some have bluetooth which can be good for remote connection to the computer, though transfer via wifi could be less 'lossy' than bluetooth I guess.

Last edited by Hypernova58; 08-08-2015 at 11:31 AM.
post #18 of 43 Old 08-08-2015, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
For my use, a receiver will become mostly a redundant additional piece of hardware, which would require its own maintenance and upgrading (as with older receivers to get new things like 4K,3D,... ), and probably I would not be using 80% of its functionalities, cost,added usage complexity,...

I have a 4K TV and a PC (from which I play most of my music) so I cannot think of much use for a receiver than its audio quality, and cannot convince myself to get one : ) In the future I may only add e.g., an xbox One to the set of TV and PC. The speaker setup that I have in my mind is to get a pair (or 5.1) of good powered ones and connect them to the TV, and add to it a Wifi audio transfer adapter so that I can use it remotely with my computer as well (which sits diagonally wrt to the TV in the room). That is why Logitech Z906 started to seem like a good/safe choice to me especially that it has remote and also allows different input sources.

One thing that got me excited about receivers though when I was doing my search was the wifi feature, but as far as I understood it is not for music transfer. Some have bluetooth which can be good for remote connection to the computer, though transfer via wifi could be less 'lossy' than bluetooth I guess.
I think your best option is a used digital surround receiver. Something for $20-40 from the local thrift shop will have the same features as the Logitech system, but will be more powerful and have better sound quality. That leaves you with almost your entire budget for some nice speakers and possibly a sub.
The problem with new budget receivers is that they have features you don't need (HDMI), but lack "old" features that you do need (6ch analog input, for your computer).
Bluetooth sound quality, in most cases, is terrible. IMO it is only useful for a house guest to show me a YouTube video on their smartphone or a podcast or whatever. Anything music/movie will sound like poo. The WiFi feature in receivers is usually for online streaming services (Pandora, Spotify), local DLNA, and/or local file shares. It can't present itself as a wireless soundcard to your computer (can't use for gaming, Netflix, etc. Only for pre-recorded digital music files)
post #19 of 43 Old 08-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There are lots of external devices which will easily and cheaply provide a wifi connection for your computer; I've never looked into them since I just use a direct coax connection between my computer and receiver, but I think they are as cheap as $30-60. Much better than choosing a receiver just for that feature, since if it breaks you have to send back your whole receiver to the factory and real-life warranty service can vary hugely between different manufacturers.

I agree with the previous poster's advice to look around for a used AVR that will give you just the features you need, although compared to the refurbed prices on the acessories4less.com website I'm not sure how great the savings would really be. On the other hand, many AVRs built 10-15 years ago are known to have better quality internal components than many of today's entry level AVRs, what with the manufacturers hyping up all these stupid electronic bells and whistles that cost peanuts to add while cutting corners on the internal components in order to fatten their profits.
kitti and Hypernova58 like this.
post #20 of 43 Old 08-20-2015, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I agree with the previous poster's advice to look around for a used AVR that will give you just the features you need, although compared to the refurbed prices on the acessories4less.com website I'm not sure how great the savings would really be. On the other hand, many AVRs built 10-15 years ago are known to have better quality internal components than many of today's entry level AVRs, what with the manufacturers hyping up all these stupid electronic bells and whistles that cost peanuts to add while cutting corners on the internal components in order to fatten their profits.

What 2.1 speaker sets and receiver do you recommend to achieve the same sound quality as the JBL monitors? I basically have zero knowledge about non-powered speakers, which are good brands, how to choose,... : (
post #21 of 43 Old 08-20-2015, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 86
hi. Since you are from sweden i would advice you to look on L-sound international site and check for some SVS prime speakers (bookshelves) and also you can pick up a sb-1000/2000 or pb 1000/2000 that depends will you have it just for music and how large is your room (if your room is around 16-25m2 i would go sealed...if closer to 25 m2 dual sb1000/or 2000 depends on you budget)...also worth looking are the new BRONZE 2 speakers from monitor audio...and SVS for sub (as listed above)...as for receiver you can check yamaha rx-a679, denon x2200, or pioneer vsx 930/1130 or sony str-dn860...it all depends what you want from receiver and if you will use it for HT (someday or soon) and your budget...things i listed are worth considering...
Hypernova58 likes this.

Marantz sr7008 (running 9.2 audyssey DSX, DTS:NEO X), monitor audio bx6,bx center,bx fx (4x),bx1,sub SVS sb13ultra (2x), panasonic 60asw654
post #22 of 43 Old 08-20-2015, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What 2.1 speaker sets and receiver do you recommend to achieve the same sound quality as the JBL monitors? I basically have zero knowledge about non-powered speakers, which are good brands, how to choose,... : (
If you mean the $475 JBL LS-308, this is what I'd get:

Speakers: WaveCrest HVL-1s, $225 shipped

Receiver: Onkyo 525, $160 shipped
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Subwoofer:
Martin Logan Dynamo 300, $130 shipped from Amazon

TOTAL: $515 = $40 more than the JBL LS-308
Hypernova58 likes this.
post #23 of 43 Old 08-21-2015, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaazz View Post
hi. Since you are from sweden i would advice you to look on L-sound international site and check for some SVS prime speakers (bookshelves) and also you can pick up a sb-1000/2000 or pb 1000/2000 that depends will you have it just for music and how large is your room (if your room is around 16-25m2 i would go sealed...if closer to 25 m2 dual sb1000/or 2000 depends on you budget)...also worth looking are the new BRONZE 2 speakers from monitor audio...and SVS for sub (as listed above)...as for receiver you can check yamaha rx-a679, denon x2200, or pioneer vsx 930/1130 or sony str-dn860...it all depends what you want from receiver and if you will use it for HT (someday or soon) and your budget...things i listed are worth considering...

Looks awesome! Price-wise it will be 5 times the Z906 though.
post #24 of 43 Old 08-21-2015, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you mean the $475 JBL LS-308, this is what I'd get:

Speakers: WaveCrest HVL-1s, $225 shipped

Receiver: Onkyo 525, $160 shipped
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Subwoofer:
Martin Logan Dynamo 300, $130 shipped from Amazon

TOTAL: $515 = $40 more than the JBL LS-308
Wow, great prices. I cannot find such deals in Sweden.
post #25 of 43 Old 08-21-2015, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Looks awesome! Price-wise it will be 5 times the Z906 though.
If i were you i would just wait a little...or buy a receiver and some new monitor audio bronze 2 speakers...then when you have a couple of more euros then you can buy a subwoofer...you can even get a receiver (entry level onkyo 343 is around 290 eur) at half those prices i listed (the receivers i listed are step above entry level, the denon has also the new dolby atmos decoders)...it all depends on what you want...but i would wait...believe me it wont be even comparable to those logitech speakers...welcome to HI-FI and HT i have started with this hoby when i was around 16 and have changed a lot of receivers, speakers,...and also now 20 years later i am still learning and buy a new thing or two
Hypernova58 likes this.

Marantz sr7008 (running 9.2 audyssey DSX, DTS:NEO X), monitor audio bx6,bx center,bx fx (4x),bx1,sub SVS sb13ultra (2x), panasonic 60asw654
post #26 of 43 Old 08-21-2015, 02:18 AM

ok...i made a homework for you ...
yamaha Yamaha RX-V 377 around 210 eur
speakers with subwoofer 5.1 JBL cinema 610 around 260 eur
or JAMO a102 HCS around 350 eur
or for now just a pair of new monitor audio bronze 2 for 430 eur
i would pick that yamaha and jbl or jamo set any day over the logitech speakers and set all speakers to small and crossover at 150 and you are good to go
Hypernova58 likes this.

post #27 of 43 Old 08-22-2015, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys again and again!! Really appreciate your opinions and tips.
post #28 of 43 Old 08-22-2015, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Tommaazz, would you mind sending me a private message (I cannot yet initiate pm's on the forum)?
post #29 of 43 Old 08-22-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Tommaazz, would you mind sending me a private message (I cannot yet initiate pm's on the forum)?
done

post #30 of 43 Old 08-22-2015, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaazz View Post
done
damn, I cannot even reply to private messages until my post counts reach 15 : (
Reply Speakers

Tags
Logitech , speaker advice , z906