Using Center Channel Spearkers at Left and Right? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2015, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Using Center Channel Spearkers at Left and Right?

Is there a difference in bookshelf and center channel speakers? I found these http://www.accessories4less.com/make...specifications and was thinking about using 3 of these for LCR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2015, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmack7277 View Post
Is there a difference in bookshelf and center channel speakers? .... and was thinking about using 3 of these for LCR.
There is a deference, as center speakers usually have two woofers and one tweeter, usually. Fonts speaker are often larger, but not necessarily so. Larger when used for music, and the center is mostly dialogue, which does not require a large speaker. Some like larger front speaker for a bigger sound stage, while some favor as close to balance as possible; meaning the same sepcs, usually same or similar model speakers.

Yes, in a smaller system, speakers set to small they would work.

Look at my little Denon system, the Polk speakers have two 5" woofers and one 1" dome tweeter, this all the way around will do. All the speakers are reasonable the same. I have a bit lager center, mainly because it was on sale at a bigger discount than the one with the same size woofers.

The Wharfedale speakers seem like a good price, if they will do size wise, for you, then I think it would be a good deal.

Little Denon system, Denon 2808ci
Polk M40, front and surround, CS2 center.Yamaha subwoofer
Sony 222 es SACD/CD player
Panasonic Blu-Ray player
Sony dual DVD and VCR player.
LG 46" HDTV.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Is there a difference in bookshelf and center channel speakers? I found these http://www.accessories4less.com/make...specifications and was thinking about using 3 of these for LCR.
The main difference is that a speaker that's been produced specifically as a horizontally-positioned center will need to have its tweeter rotated 90 degrees when positioned vertically...usually a very quick and easy DIY process requiring no more than a screwdriver. Some, like the BIC FH-6 (which also cost about $100 apiece), have multi-directional tweeters that don't require any adjustment however.

If you happen to like Wharfedale though, you ought to look at the Diamond models being closed out at Music Direct dot com, you can get a pair of 10.1 bookshelves for as little as $225 shipped (these are advertised as "demo" but mine came immaculately wrapped as new and still required the usual 20-30 hours of break-in).

I love the Wharfedales for music. For HT though you might be happier with the BIC which will have higher sensitivity (louder) and more detail/clarity compared to the Wharfedale's laid back warmth. I simply use an FH-6 for my center during movie watching, then revert to stereo with only the Wharfedales when listening to music...best of both worlds!
Old 08-10-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
These have tweeters that go both ways ... just order what you need:

http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/chan...peakers/A2rx-c
darthray likes this.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

^ If the OP is willing to spend that kind of money (about $150 more per speaker) then these are also an option:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hc-1.html
darthray likes this.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
^ If the OP is willing to spend that kind of money (about $150 more per speaker) then these are also an option:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hc-1.html
If the budget is that limited, it may be a better solution to just get a pair of good bookshelf speakers and run phantom center, as long as the speakers aren't too far apart.

Wavecrest has a nice quality and inexpensive speaker to consider for $199 / pair:

http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/produc...udspeaker-pair

Last edited by RayGuy; 08-10-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
The Wharfedales I've noticed have been recommended for music. They interest me for that reason. I thought having 3 drivers per might help with more sound/volume for my room (17x19x12). I have the ability to run them all horizontally.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
The Wharfedales I've noticed have been recommended for music. They interest me for that reason. I thought having 3 drivers per might help with more sound/volume for my room (17x19x12). I have the ability to run them all horizontally.

Most center do come with some minus for sound quality/dispersion compare to a bookshelf or tower.
They can be made to match, but only few if any can be a perfect match for your main.
In my book, using centers for your mains is a bad idea!

The numbers of drivers is not really relevant, since you can have some bookshelf with 2 drivers sounding better than some towers with 3, 4, 5...
It's all about the design of the speaker.

Ray
Old 08-10-2015, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hmm, it wouldn't hurt to try them out in that case, just order two and see if you like them; return shipping would be a lot cheaper for 2 rather than 5 speakers. (Assuming that accessories4less.com has a liberal return policy.) I'd be very curious to hear your experience if you do get them, since that deal wasn't available when I ordered my 10.1s.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Im happy with my Wharfedales. big and loud! lolz

Pioneer VSX-919ah / Wharfedale Atlantic AT-500 Fronts / Wharfedale Xarus Rears and Wharfedale EVOLUTION 2 Centre Speaker / Wharfedale SW150 Sub / WD Media Player / LG BD player
Old 08-11-2015, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
The main difference is that a speaker that's been produced specifically as a horizontally-positioned center will need to have its tweeter rotated 90 degrees when positioned vertically...usually a very quick and easy DIY process requiring no more than a screwdriver.
I think these are the type where the woofer flange cuts into the tweeter flange, so would you think they would have to be turned, or would they sound alright on end?

He found a good price in them.

Little Denon system, Denon 2808ci
Polk M40, front and surround, CS2 center.Yamaha subwoofer
Sony 222 es SACD/CD player
Panasonic Blu-Ray player
Sony dual DVD and VCR player.
LG 46" HDTV.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKatHT View Post
I think these are the type where the woofer flange cuts into the tweeter flange, so would you think they would have to be turned, or would they sound alright on end?

He found a good price in them.
I have no idea, really. But yeah, $100 apiece is a great price indeed! I'd be curious to hear how it sounds compared to the 9.1 bookshelf myself...