5.1 upgrade to 7.1? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 2 Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 24
5.1 upgrade to 7.1?

Okay, so here's the situation. Right now I have a 5.1 setup with RF-62ii's for the front's, an RC-62ii center, and I'm using RB-61ii's as the side surrounds. Problem is, the room is only 11' wide and with the mounts I have for the RB-61ii's one sticks out a bit into the walkway path to the front row seating. See the pic below:

Now, this isn't an issue for me, because I know where it is and am aware of it, but when people are over they don't know and if it's dark there's a risk of someone hitting it. Hasn't happened yet, but I want to change this situation before it does.

So...my brilliant plan is to use this as an opportunity to upgrade from 5.1 to 7.1. I was thinking to replace the two side surrounds (currently RB-61ii) with some Klipsch RS speakers. I could then take the existing RB-61ii's and relocate them to the back of the room and use them as rear surrounds for the 7.1 setup.

I have a few questions for you guys regarding this.

1. Would the Klipsh RS speakers be better or just as good, sound quality/design wise as my RB-61ii's as the side surrounds? I believe I've read that using dipole/bipole speakers as the side surrounds and then monopoles as the rear surrounds works.

2. Assuming the answer to #1 is yes, which speakers should I get? Right now, looking at the picture above, that speaker protrudes nearly 14" out from the wall into the walkway. Looking at the RS-42ii, this has a depth of around 7.5", and uses a keyhole mount so it can go right onto the wall, no mount required. These are also affordable for me at $175 each from crutchfield. But would it be a big deal going from the larger RB-61ii to the RS-42ii as the side surrounds? Should I be looking at the RS-52ii instead or for side surrounds is it not a huge deal? Any other speakers I should consider instead?

3. Would the RB-61ii's function as rear surrounds being monopole speakers? Assuming yes, I would need to determine mounting options/placement. See image below:

That back wall with the garage door is around 8 feet behind the second row seating. The options I can think of are:
  • Place a bookshelf in front of garage door and put the speakers on that.
  • Try to use existing mounts on each side of garage door, but the right side(when looking at garage door) would be tricky due to lack of space between the garage door and wall. Not sure if I could mount it to the stud with the garage door being so close in proximity.
  • Some kind of mounts that drop from the ceiling(maybe screwed into joist) with a platform for the speakers to sit on? Do these exist? The RB-61ii's are pretty big speakers which is my concern with this idea. And I worry if they were low enough people could hit them with their head, but granted this would be more out of the way then the speaker being in the main walkway, as people are rarely behind the second row.

This isn't an immediate problem, just a random idea I had tonight so just kind of thinking out loud by posting here. Any other ideas please let me know. I could always tell people to not be idiots and watch for the speaker but there's always that one person...just kidding, as it really is hard to see the speaker in the dark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Unread Today, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a similar problem.

I am using a Marantz sr5008 (7.2) and Monitor audio radius hd (4x r90hd + r180hd + r370).
I am moving from an apartment to a house, and am thinking of an upgrade. I think this is a good time to match and plan everything, before I purchase and place any furniture for the house.

The new living room wher the AV will be placed is much larger than it was at the apartment - 27 sq, meters, ceiling net height 2.7 meters.

I am thinking to keep the current system, and upgrade front speakers and/or get another sub which would hopefully improve the music experience of the current system.

At the moment, i have the discontinued MA r370 on sale, which I think is a good deal (50% less than I paid for it).

Since I already went the MA way, here are my ideas for an upgrade of the fronts:
1. Monitor audio Silver 6 for the fronts
2. Monitor audio Silver 1 for the fronts
3. Monitor audio BX5 for the fronts (now also on sale, but no high gloss finish)
4. New monitor audio r270 for the fronts
5. Apex A10 for the fronts
6. Would I need an additional sub with any of these?

Someone told me that I should go BX or r270 as best tonal match with the radius hd, and that I should avoid the Silvers. However, aesthetically, I find the silvers a better match to the radius than the BX. I also found that users combined the Apex with the radius with good results, alhough i am not sure if I would gain anything with these also small speakers.
Price-wise, I can get an additional sub with any of the speakers for the price of Silver 6.

I would appreciate opinions from this forum about the upgrade of the fronts, and whether or not I would need an additional r370 sub.

Thanks for the opinions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page