AVS Forum banner

Polk Monitor 40 for Klipsh Synergy S-20 or...

1K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  MerrlinT 
#1 · (Edited)
Replacement for Polk Monitor 40: Klipsh Synergy S-20, or...

Hello everybody,

First, this is my actual setup (7.1):

• TV: Pioneer Kuro-5020D
  • AVR: Pioneer VSX-9140TXH
  • Front: Polk Monitor 70 (x2)
  • Surround: Polk Monitor 40 (x4)
  • Center: Polk CS20
  • Sub: Polk PSW505

I do like my actual setup, but I moved 2 years ago, and the room for HT went from 27’ x 17’ to 16’x 12’! For room purpose, my Monitor 40 are wall-mounted, and I sit 10’ from the TV. I’d like to change my bookshelves for smaller (and better) speakers. My interest is mostly movies (95%).

I’ve seen at Newegg Canada, the Klipsh Synergy S-20 at good price ($199.99 CAN/2), and there are also 2 other interesting models (KS-14 Ikon, R14S). Would they be an upgrade (quality) from the Monitor 40?

I’ll upgrade all my setup in 3-4 years; 70-80’’ TV, new AVR, maybe go for less powerful speakers but more (9.1 – 11.1, for a better HT experience...), maybe go for in-wall, etc. So there’s no hurry for me to change. But at this price, and size, if they’re better than the Monitor 40…

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance :)

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate :) . Like I said, the actual bookshelves are taking a lot of space in my (smaller) HT room, even if I wall-mounted them. So it would be nice if I can find something more "discreet" for the next 3-4 years... :)

#4 · (Edited)
I've ordered the Klipsch S-20 from eBay last week ( it was NewEgg ) selling them through eBay. I paid 146$ tax/shipping to QC included.

Even though they are not broken in yet, I like how they sound. They replaced some Synergy F1 and they are really close from the sound the tower produced and are much smaller.

The S-20 will not be made anymore so, they are on clearence now. If they interest you, they are 179.99$ on eBay canada. Sold by Newegg. Have you ever listenned to Klipsch speaker before ? If not, I suggest you to go to a local store and try their sound. It is not for every one.

#6 ·
Thanks for the information :) . I did listen to them, and I did like them. But it was 10-15 years ago (Futureshop), and decided to buy AR speakers, instead. I changed for Polk Audio 5 years ago because I wanted a 7.1 system, and the Monitor series were pretty cheap (and available).

#8 ·
I understand your situation. The Monitor 40's are big especially in a small room. I am satisfied with my Monitor 60, 30 setup but I couldn't see myself going any bigger for the surrounds. Don't have any suggestions but wanted to wish you good luck with finding suitable replacements.

Reactions: MerrlinT
#14 ·
I got french doors (guest room) on the other interior wall, but I can make it work for in wall speakers (7.1 setup). I read good feedbacks about KEF brand, does the CI160CL would be a good upgrade? Should I aim for Atmos speakers?

I thought about moving the electric baseboard, and moving my TV on the other wall (counterclockwise 90° all the setup); left and right surround installation would be easy. but it would be more challenging for the back suround, but doable (space within the speakers will be wider because of the french doors).

A lot of questions, thanks again for all your advices :D

#15 ·
I got french doors (guest room) on the other interior wall, but I can make it work for in wall speakers (7.1 setup). I read good feedbacks about KEF brand, does the CI160CL would be a good upgrade? Should I aim for Atmos speakers?

I thought about moving the electric baseboard, and moving my TV on the other wall (counterclockwise 90° all the setup); left and right surround installation would be easy. but it would be more challenging for the back suround, but doable (space within the speakers will be wider because of the french doors).

A lot of questions, thanks again for all your advices :D
Although id really love to help you with those speaker decision, I honestly have only heard polks and klipsch and I also consider myself an amateur/novice into this world. I could be wrong, but if it was my room, id get better main speaker ( front sound stage ) before investing more into surrounds and ceiling speakers, but then again, that's my opinion.

For your room, I like the way you have everything set up...

I know when I build my room, I will not go with more speakers than what I currently have. I also though about going with ceiling for atmos but the extra money required to buy an atmos receiver, the speakers and the extra wires... I will put this money toward better room insulation. I say this since my insulation will be ''used'' in everything I will hear but my atmos won't. It all really depend of budget i guess !

#18 ·
MerrlinT,

See if you can get NHT SuperZeros in Canada. They go for about $100 apiece in the US from Amazon and NHT's website. A lot smaller but bigger and much better sound---the tweeter especially. They'd wipe the floor with the Monitor 40s. In fact, you might find that you like them so much as to use them for your fronts as well.

#19 ·
MerrlinT,

See if you can get NHT SuperZeros in Canada. They go for about $100 apiece in the US from Amazon and NHT's website. A lot smaller but bigger and much better sound---the tweeter especially. They'd wipe the floor with the Monitor 40s. In fact, you might find that you like them so much as to use them for your fronts as well.
Thanks Zorba922.

They're $144 CAN (Amazon.ca), which is about the same US price. I already ordered the Energy, this morning, but I'll keep in mind your suggestion.

Thanks again :)

#22 ·
Well,

I received the speakers last week: very nice, and a lot smaller than my Monitor 40 :) ! Easy to install, I already like how they sound, even without the 100 hours' break :) But it seems that the end of life of my subwoofer PSW505 is near!

I did my homework, and after lot of reading, my 1st choice would be the SVS PB-2000. But it's way over my budget (+/- $1K CAN!), and having HSU or Rythmik in Canada is quite complicate.

So I'd like some advise/comments about these subwoofers:

• SVS PB-1000 (+/- $630 CAN, Electronicforless)
  • BIC PL-200 (+/- $430 CAN, Amazon)
  • Klipsch KSW-12 (+/- $300 CAN. Newegg)
  • Klipsch R-12SW (+/- $550 CAN, Newegg)
  • Other suggestion accepted :)

There are also the SVS SB-2000 (+/- $838 CAN), but it's still expensive :( For many reason, I want to keep my budget around $400-$500, but I can stretch it for the PB-1000.

My room is less than 2000 cubic feet (+/- 1600), and my interest is still mostly movies :p .

Thanks again :)

#23 ·
^ If you watch a lot of action movies and want to feel the full impact of all the explosions, crashes, rumbles, etc. then it's worth it to splurge on the PB1000. Otherwise, the BIC sub would be fine and likely better than the Klipsch ones.

#26 ·
I finally got a great deal from Electronicsforless.ca! I asked about ordering the 530 (hard to find online on Canadian websites), and they were able to order them and price match the US price from JBL.com!

So, my HT will be, in the next few days:

AVR: Denon AVR-X3200W
TV: Pioneer Kuro-5020D
Front: JBL Studio 530BK (x2)
Center: JBL Studio 520C
Sub: SVS PB-1000
Surround: Energy CR-10 (x4)

And everything started because I wanted smaller surround/bookshelves for space purpose, by replacing my Polk Monitor 40 with Energy CR10 ($160/4) :D It's all your fault :p

Thanks everybody for all your advices (and patience), I really appreciate :)

#27 ·
I finally got a great deal from Electronicsforless.ca! I asked about ordering the 530 (hard to find online on Canadian websites), and they were able to order them and price match the US price from JBL.com!
That's awesome...update us when you get everything in and set up!

#28 ·
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the (very) late follow-up :D

Received the speakers at the end of October 2015, but it took 6 more weeks before I received the 520C (B.O.). Still, I'm very pleased with all my set up; it's really a huge upgrade from my Polk Audio!

Thanks again for all your great advices :)

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.