Polk Monitor 40 for Klipsh Synergy S-20 or... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 6 Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Replacement for Polk Monitor 40: Klipsh Synergy S-20, or...

Hello everybody,

First, this is my actual setup (7.1):

• TV: Pioneer Kuro-5020D
  • AVR: Pioneer VSX-9140TXH
  • Front: Polk Monitor 70 (x2)
  • Surround: Polk Monitor 40 (x4)
  • Center: Polk CS20
  • Sub: Polk PSW505

I do like my actual setup, but I moved 2 years ago, and the room for HT went from 27’ x 17’ to 16’x 12’! For room purpose, my Monitor 40 are wall-mounted, and I sit 10’ from the TV. I’d like to change my bookshelves for smaller (and better) speakers. My interest is mostly movies (95%).

I’ve seen at Newegg Canada, the Klipsh Synergy S-20 at good price ($199.99 CAN/2), and there are also 2 other interesting models (KS-14 Ikon, R14S). Would they be an upgrade (quality) from the Monitor 40?

I’ll upgrade all my setup in 3-4 years; 70-80’’ TV, new AVR, maybe go for less powerful speakers but more (9.1 – 11.1, for a better HT experience...), maybe go for in-wall, etc. So there’s no hurry for me to change. But at this price, and size, if they’re better than the Monitor 40…

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Last edited by MerrlinT; Yesterday at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot: I'm open to any other suggestion (upgrade)

Thanks again!
post #3 of 6 Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You're just sidegrading right now. In fact, you should probably upgrade your mains before you touch the surround speakers.
post #4 of 6 Old Today, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've ordered the Klipsch S-20 from eBay last week ( it was NewEgg ) selling them through eBay. I paid 146$ tax/shipping to QC included.

Even though they are not broken in yet, I like how they sound. They replaced some Synergy F1 and they are really close from the sound the tower produced and are much smaller.

The S-20 will not be made anymore so, they are on clearence now. If they interest you, they are 179.99$ on eBay canada. Sold by Newegg. Have you ever listenned to Klipsch speaker before ? If not, I suggest you to go to a local store and try their sound. It is not for every one.

Last edited by Sunken; Today at 05:09 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
post #5 of 6 Unread Today, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post
You're just sidegrading right now. In fact, you should probably upgrade your mains before you touch the surround speakers.
Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate . Like I said, the actual bookshelves are taking a lot of space in my (smaller) HT room, even if I wall-mounted them. So it would be nice if I can find something more "discreet" for the next 3-4 years...
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunken View Post
I've ordered the Klipsch S-20 from eBay last week ( it was NewEgg ) selling them through eBay. I paid 146$ tax/shipping to QC included.

Even though they are not broken in yet, I like how they sound. They replaced some Synergy F1 and they are really close from the sound the tower produced and are much smaller.

The S-20 will not be made anymore so, they are on clearence now. If they interest you, they are 179.99$ on eBay canada. Sold by Newegg. Have you ever listenned to Klipsch speaker before ? If not, I suggest you to go to a local store and try their sound. It is not for every one.

Thanks for the information . I did listen to them, and I did like them. But it was 10-15 years ago (Futureshop), and decided to buy AR speakers, instead. I changed for Polk Audio 5 years ago because I wanted a 7.1 system, and the Monitor series were pretty cheap (and available).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page