AVS Forum banner

Kef q100 or q300

4K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  xhattan 
#1 ·
I need suggestions on which would be better for my setup, the KEF Q100 OR Q300 bookshelves for my setup.

RECEIVER: YAMAHA A1040
CENTER: KEF Q600c
SUB : SVS PB1000
SURROUNDS: MISSON DI-Pole ( don't remember the model)

Room :18x19 feet, with no audio treatment.

USAGE : 70% movies, 30% Music.
COST : Q100 @$300 , Q300 @$550

I have already bought the q600 center speaker since I got it for a real steal. I don't want towers and so I need to shortlist between the q100 and q300.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Hello guys.

I have a 9.2 setup comprised of three 3001c (the center speaker of the 3005SE) for L/R/C, six 3001s ( the surrounds of the 3005SE) for surrounds, heights and sides, and two HTB2 subs. Sound is absolutely incredible. Receiver is the Denon X4100.

However, I just could not resist the recent sale on the Q100 ($299) and bought a pair. Questions:

1. Would the Q100 be an upgrade over the 3001c for L/R fronts?

2. Would they match the timber of the 3005 surrounds? (Also UniQ drivers).

3. If yes, should I keep the center speaker or should I try the center phantom option?

4. Finally, are stands an absolute must for bookshelf speakers or is the sound difference subtle if placed on furniture (and at ear height) with enough space from walls?

Thanks guys!

#13 ·
However, I just could not resist the recent sale on the Q100 ($299) and bought a pair. Questions:

1. Would the Q100 be an upgrade over the 3001c for L/R fronts?

2. Would they match the timber of the 3005 surrounds? (Also UniQ drivers).

3. If yes, should I keep the center speaker or should I try the center phantom option?

4. Finally, are stands an absolute must for bookshelf speakers or is the sound difference subtle if placed on furniture (and at ear height) with enough space from walls?

Thanks guys!
1) Yes.
2) They are a poor timber match: the Q100s have cheap-looking vinyl wrap and the HTC-3005’s have glossy black metal. But they'll sound find together.
3) You should add a third Q100, even if it means buying a pair and storing the orphan. B
4) As long as the placement is good, the platform doesn’t matter much.

#15 ·
How do you like your Q100's so far?

I also bought a pair for $299 :)
I heard they really do need to break in, and i'm only at about 8 hrs, but so far they sound harsh, and some instruments sound out of place.
But I have read that they take maybe 20hrs or so before they really start to sound well.

Any one else with experience?

#20 ·
How do you like your Q100's so far?

I also bought a pair for $299 :)
I heard they really do need to break in, and i'm only at about 8 hrs, but so far they sound harsh, and some instruments sound out of place.
But I have read that they take maybe 20hrs or so before they really start to sound well.

Any one else with experience?

Well, I am using them for home theater only. But I have watched some Dream Theater and Pink Floyd concerts and the sound was amazing. Maybe the harshness is more noticeable in a 2.0 setup, without the help of a subwoofer. I had same issue with my LS50, but once they were burned the sub wasn´t necessary, although I still use my HTB2 with them.

I have read in other forums that the Q100 might even take 100 HOURS of burning before you can fully enjoy them. Maybe you should burn them in a home theater setup. It is working for me!

#18 ·
Cheap speaker stands are usually Ready-To-Assemble, and that's where problems can arise as with any RTA furniture: user error during the assembly. The only truly flimsy and unusable cheap speaker stands I've ever come across were the ones from Walmart with the column of the stand doubling as CD racks. The Sanus MDF stands I linked to from Amazon worked well even with a larger than average MTM bookshelf that weighed almost 30lbs; most bookshelf speakers are in the 10-20lb range. The only time I could imagine needing to pay for expensive heavy stands would be if small children or large dogs were in the picture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.